Connecting headphones to microphone jack?

Dayfly

Hey,

So I have 1 pair of headphones (without microphone which I just connect to the audio jack to play games) and I have another pair of headphones, the ear buds which come with your phone which I want to try to use as a microphone. However I don't have a microphone and audio jack in one, its those separate ones that motherboards usually have. 

Is there anything I can do to have a microphone without buying a headset with 2 separate jacks or a usb microphone?

thanks

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yea pretty much,

It was pretty interesting when I plugged my ear buds into the microphone jack as the speakers on it would act as a microphone so when I would tap the ear buds the diaphragm would act as a microphone 

1 minute ago, Zomicron said:

u actually dont need an adapter. i just plugged my headphones with a mic into the mic jack and the mic worked

did you do anything special? it doesnt seem to work for me

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Well, he said he doesn't have a combi port, so that would either have to plug into the headphones or microphone port, not both.

If he's just wanting to use both at the same time, with one headset for audio and the other for microphone, then he shouldn't need an adapter at all. 

2 minutes ago, Zomicron said:

hmm... might depend on the headphones

yea maybe

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Well, he said he doesn't have a combi port, so that would either have to plug into the headphones or microphone port, not both.

If he's just wanting to use both at the same time, with one headset for audio and the other for microphone, then he shouldn't need an adapter at all. 

Well the problem is (I think) the microphone jack and the audio jack are identical, however at the end of it there should be a microphone and speakers respectively. So, when you have a microphone and speakers in the same jack, there is an extra piece of metal that acts as a microphone which means that a female microphone jack wont be in contact with the microphone contact of the ear buds as it is in a different place if it were just a microphone jack, but it will be with the speakers themselves, see the pic I linked you'll understand my messy explanation much better :)

See: http://www.jensign.com/S4Jack/adaptercable.jpg

PS: Its not a headset, a headset usually implies its via usb or has 2 seperate audio and microphone jacks, what I have is 1 pair of headphone (no mic) and 1 pair of earbuds with mic and audio in the same jack