Does one actually need 4 TB of storage?

Maximoose

Do you use 4 TB of storage  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use 4 TB of storage

• No
    • Yes
    • Maybe in the future

I do a lot of gaming, used to use a 360GB HDD on my old system, that was painful. My new system has a 2TB HDD and allows me to install every game in my steam library and still have like 400-600GB left over. If you got a 4TB drive you probably wouldn't need any more for a while unless your doing something like storing a lot of movies.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I don't think any ol' person uses 4TB of storage. You either use way less, or way more.

For example, anywhere from a typical user to to a typical gamer will probably only ever use just over a terabyte in the full lifecycle of a single computer, even if their computer ends up writing and reading millions, which is inevitable. Anywhere who goes into content creation - YouTubers, Graphics Designers; the lot  -- will realise that raw files take up a lot of space.

TL;DR. If you're into content creation, go for it. Otherwise, avoid wasting the money.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono