Gigabit ethernet over USB 2.0

Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

I don't know if you will get all that close to the theoretical limit of USB 2.0. One of the problems I have seen with high throughput devices on USB is a lot of CPU usage, and its not sounding like the machine this is going into is all that modern and hence fast. You might find the CPU becomes a bottleneck for high throughput on USB 2.0. I don't doubt it'll be faster than 100 mbit/s but 300+ is potentially not the case depending on what peripheral you actually end up buying.

1 minute ago, TheCynicalCris said:

So, what does it translate into?

Half duplex: bidirectional communication, but you can only communicate in one direction at once. So you cannot transfer data to and from the pic at the same time. Or course, this is transparent to the user, and you can do copy to and from there network at the same time, but it will only be at half speed.

Full duplex: can communicate in both directions simultaneously.

3 minutes ago, TheCynicalCris said:

So, what does it translate into?

It's only 240Mbps for upstream and 240Mbps for downstream.

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Yeah but buying a USB 3 device, and putting it into a USB 2 port will still only run at USB 2 speeds. Half duplex and all.

Yes, still at USB2.0 speeds. I'm just saying another reason why using a gigabit-USB-adapter is pointless.

3 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

It's only 240Mbps for upstream and 240Mbps for downstream.

Yes, still at USB2.0 speeds. I'm just saying another reason why using a gigabit-USB-adapter is pointless.

It is not pointless if I am limited to 100Mbps full-duplex on my Ethernet. Even 240/240 is still much better in my case. 

OBR CTM S.A.

Just now, TheCynicalCris said:

It is not pointless if I am limited to 100Mbps full-duplex on my Ethernet. Even 240/240 is still much better in my case. 

240mbps is still the theoretical speed. It's way far from the 1000mbps of gigabit that the rest of the network is using, but close to the ethernet speed that he's currently running. It's up to TS if he wants to use that adapter as an immediate upgrade or just get a gigabit pcie card/motherboard.

44 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

240mbps is still the theoretical speed. It's way far from the 1000mbps of gigabit that the rest of the network is using, but close to the ethernet speed that he's currently running. It's up to TS if he wants to use that adapter as an immediate upgrade or just get a gigabit pcie card/motherboard.

Well I know, that gigabit PCIe would be the best pick. Unfortunately this server is a Toshiba P200 satellite from 2006. Reason? Money. 

OBR CTM S.A.

So... Considering all arguments that were put in this topic it comes down to one question. 

Is gigabit USB 2.0 Ethernet going to be faster than 100baseT Ethernet?

OBR CTM S.A.

3 hours ago, TheCynicalCris said:

So... Considering all arguments that were put in this topic it comes down to one question. 

Is gigabit USB 2.0 Ethernet going to be faster than 100baseT Ethernet?

probably yes, but how much faster (150 Mb, 200Mb, close to 300Mb) you can't predict.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: