Gigabit ethernet over USB 2.0

Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

I don't know if you will get all that close to the theoretical limit of USB 2.0. One of the problems I have seen with high throughput devices on USB is a lot of CPU usage, and its not sounding like the machine this is going into is all that modern and hence fast. You might find the CPU becomes a bottleneck for high throughput on USB 2.0. I don't doubt it'll be faster than 100 mbit/s but 300+ is potentially not the case depending on what peripheral you actually end up buying.

Hi everyone,

I've got a computer configured as a server to share files localy and remotely. My whole LAN is working on gigabit Ethernet full-duplex. Unfortunately this computer only has 10/100baseT Ethernet card on the motherboard. 

I have no way of expanding this unit other than USB 2.0 ports. I know that theoretically USB 2.0 is capable of speeds up to 480Mbps. Which is almost 5 times faster than my Ethernet port. 

So... If I'll buy an external USB 3.0, gigabit Ethernet card is it going to get bottlenecked to around 480Mbps which is fine with me or will slow down to 100Mbps which is definitely not fine. 

I guess that it depends on communication between USB controller of this external card and it's Ethernet controller.

But I wonder if anyone has any experience here?

OBR CTM S.A.

Net speed of USB 2.0 is 340Mbit/s. More speed isn't possible over USB 2.0

Just now, .spider. said:

Net speed of USB 2.0 are 340Mbit/s

Well, it's still over 3 times faster then, than my Ethernet. 

OBR CTM S.A.

I know that theoretically USB 2.0 is capable of speeds up to 480Mbps

Yea thats true but in normal conditions you are only going to get about 30-40 MB/s, at least for me. You are going to be limited to this speed...but still faster that 100mbit tho

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

Just now, TheCynicalCris said:

Well, it's still over 3 times faster then, than my Ethernet. 

Theoretically it would be fine, but I'd still go for a USB 3.0 to Gigabit ethernet if I were you, because I have a USB 3.0 to gigiabit ethernet adapter and it works fine, I get gigabit speeds to my server

1 minute ago, TaylorSwiftOrNon said:

Yea thats true but in normal conditions you are only going to get about 30-40 MB/s, at least for me. You are going to be limited to this speed...but still faster that 100mbit tho

So I can safely buy USB 3.0 gigabit card and get speeds 3-4 times better?

OBR CTM S.A.

1 minute ago, TheCynicalCris said:

Yes, about 3 times. 

That i cant tell you unfortunately since i dont have any experience with external LAN adapters. but on the other hand i cant think of a reason why it shouldn't work.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

Guys if he can't put a card in it, chances are he doesn't have USB 3.

Yup, only USB 2.0. 

OBR CTM S.A.

1 minute ago, TaylorSwiftOrNon said:

That i cant tell you unfortunately since i dont have any experience with external LAN adapters. but on the other hand i cant think of a reason why it shouldn't work.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering :).

OBR CTM S.A.

It makes no difference if you buy USB 3 or USB 2 in that case. Just buy a USB 2 gigabit adapter.

19 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

It makes no difference if you buy USB 3 or USB 2 in that case. Just buy a USB 2 gigabit adapter.

Sometimes USB 2.0 aren't as fast as USB 3.0 interfaces on USB 2.0 ports.

In terms of flash drives, yes. I agree. They usually use cheaper flash controllers and chips which makes the storage slower. But in terms of other devices, like network interfaces, it makes no difference. It just costs more.

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

In terms of flash drives, yes. I agree. They usually use cheaper flash controllers and chips which makes the storage slower. But in terms of other devices, like network interfaces, it makes no difference. It just costs more.

My experience with card readers are different

47 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

I completely agree, but so far I had no luck finding USB 2.0 gigabit on the internet. 

There are either 10/100 2.0 or gigabit 3.0. 

OBR CTM S.A.

I don't know if you will get all that close to the theoretical limit of USB 2.0. One of the problems I have seen with high throughput devices on USB is a lot of CPU usage, and its not sounding like the machine this is going into is all that modern and hence fast. You might find the CPU becomes a bottleneck for high throughput on USB 2.0. I don't doubt it'll be faster than 100 mbit/s but 300+ is potentially not the case depending on what peripheral you actually end up buying.

5 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

This machine is equipped with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200. 64-bit architecture, 2 cores at 2GHz. Is it going to be the problem in this case? 

OBR CTM S.A.

46 minutes ago, TheCynicalCris said:

I completely agree, but so far I had no luck finding USB 2.0 gigabit on the internet. 

There are either 10/100 2.0 or gigabit 3.0. 

http://www.amazon.com/TECHTOO®-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Specific/dp/B00N10TT08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454253307&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+2+gigabit

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Ethernet-1000Mbps-Chromebook-Specific/dp/B00FTV125C/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1454253307&sr=8-11&keywords=USB+2+gigabit

And several more on amazon.

Thanks. I was obviously putting something wrong in search criteria :).

No problem. I just typed in USB 2 gigabit.

3 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

Additional information: USB2.0 is half duplex

So, what does it translate into?

OBR CTM S.A.

1 minute ago, MeshFile said:

Additional information: USB2.0 is half duplex

Yeah but buying a USB 3 device, and putting it into a USB 2 port will still only run at USB 2 speeds. Half duplex and all.