Router vs access point? Antennas?

randomuser1234

I saw a vid on how to turn a computer to a router but how does that compare to me buying a 250 dollar modem? Dont a need a antenna to give better quality and range? Can i buy a Giant attena and attach it to my pc?

I have a old dish statialite can i turn that into a access point? 

Custom built routers are advantageous for a power user who happens to need one very specific feature. Otherwise prebuilts are better. Buy a good router, and/or buy an access point or two and wire them to your current router view ethernet, or get a powerline adapter and another wireless router if you need better coverage.

When you turn a pc into a router you would still need multiple NIC cards (or a switch/router to handle all the ethernet connections), and ALSO a wireless access point/router to handle the wifi. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

An access point is a wireless... point of access for a Wi-fi device. A "wireless router" in the modern sense is a couple of devices in one - a router, an ethernet switch and a wireless access point.

I suppose you could attach a satellite dish to an antenna for an access point, but you'd need an amplifier for the signal, and... I'm not actually sure how it would work.

If you don't need the power that a custom router will give you (unless you just want to build one for the lolz) then going down to a thrift store and rummaging around in the electronics sections should get you a fairly good router and a power supply for about $5.

Was that router video from Tek Syndicate? because if so, that video really has all the information you need to build a really kickass router.

A router is a devise that can connect to a local network and the internet. It then takes the data from the local network decides weather to send it to a local device or the internet. An access point connects to a router and emits WiFi. Devises  then connect to the wifi. The AP takes the info from the wifi and sends it to the router via a Ethernet Cable. Most routers you buy have a built in access point. If you build a router from a computer you will need to buy an access point. The antenna attaches to the AP and gives it a stronger signal. A dish is basically an antenna that focuses the signal on one point or receiving the the signal from one point. Not the most ideal for a house.

Attaching an antenna to your PC(not the router one i assume) will give it a better reception.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

They make "High Gain antenna's" which are more sensitive to wireless signals. However you have to have them on your access point and on your client. Directional Antenna's are good for putting the WiFi where you need it. As others have said, buy good wireless gear

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Modem: MODulates and DEModulates the signal, acting as a transparent bridge between what you connect into it's ethernet and your ISP. With Cable ISP it turns coaxial into ethernet, with DSL it turns RJ11 into ethernet. Does not have any NAT or firewall functions.

Router(Wireless): Takes the internet connection from the WAN/Internet port and uses NAT (routing protocol) to share it between the devices connected to the LAN ports on the router and the Wifi connection(WLAN). Most have basic firewall(SPI) and application features like printer and file sharing.

Access Point(AP): Takes the network connection from what ever is connected to one of it's LAN ports and shares if via Wifi. Gets all IP and DNS from the router it is plugged into. Is used to extend the wireless range of your network using a ethernet but without the dual NAT issues of two routers.

Repeater(WDS): Like a AP but gets it's network connection via a Wifi connection, repeating that wifi signal further out. Increases signal at cost of throughput, usually halfing the speed.

Wireless Adapter: Like a repeater but shares the network connection via ethernet to a PC. Most commonly used to give desktop or media players wireless capabilities. 

In general, try to keep as much wired. Smaller multiple AP's > Big central router > Moderate router with AP > Big central router with repeaters > etc in order of performance. In order to make a recommendation, I need to know first what you have.