What is your preferred aspect ratio to film in?

Geekazoid

EDIT: I've added a poll for convenience.

Okay as the title asks, what is your preferred aspect ratio to film in?

Well I, myself, mostly film in 16:9 (1.78:1) but I do love the wider aspect of 2.35:1 (roughly 21:9).

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I record in 16:9, I love the anamorphic widescreen look. but I don't have the gear to record anamorphic. I don't like cropping to 2.35:1. 

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

16.9. Dunno why but i just prefer that.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

16:10 ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

16.9. Dunno why but i just prefer that.

Yeah, it's the most common AR to film in because most recording devices film in that AR.

Just a quick off-topic question. Where did you get your profile pic from?

Yeah, it's the most common AR to film in because most recording devices film in that AR.

Just a quick off-topic question. Where did you get your profile pic from?

9gag

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My t3i shoots in 16:9 can't stand 4:3 ever since youtube went 16:9 so I really wanted to ditch my Xl1 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

My t3i shoots in 16:9 can't stand 4:3 ever since youtube went 16:9 so I really wanted to ditch my Xl1 

The Canon XL1 shoots in both 4:3 and 16:9 right? I believe you could set it in camera somewhere (haven't used one in ages) 

The Canon XL1 shoots in both 4:3 and 16:9 right? I believe you could set it in camera somewhere (haven't used one in ages) 

It canish, but its weird letterboxing all around kinda 16:9 

#KilledMyWife 

It canish, but its weird letterboxing all around kinda 16:9 

it probably does something weird like a digital crop or something. maybe it can be found in the menu?

it probably does something weird like a digital crop or something. maybe it can be found in the menu?

its a dedicated button 

its like what you see in this video, and it just looks weird 

#KilledMyWife 

I prefer general video to be in 16:9 and movies/films to be in 21:9 (I love the "cinematic feel"). In regards to desktops I actually prefer 16:10 but I change it to a 16:9 resolution when I record tutorials which I'll be putting on Youtube. Different aspect ratios for different uses. :D

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

I'm keen to record a video in 2.35:1 which my Canon camcorder can record in. Just love the extra width that the 2.35:1 AR provides.

I prefer general video to be in 16:9 and movies/films to be in 21:9 (I love the "cinematic feel"). In regards to desktops I actually prefer 16:10 but I change it to a 16:9 resolution when I record tutorials which I'll be putting on Youtube. Different aspect ratios for different uses. :D

My preferences are just like yours. When gaming, I like 16:10 for some reason (as long as game can be run in windowed mode at 16:9 aspect ratio). Right now struggling with 5:4 1280x1024 screen (gaming in windowed mode, 1280x720).

On topic: I only film in 16:9 (my crapcorder won't allow other aspect ratios than 4:3 (only 480p) and 16:9) and shoot photos in 4:3 and modify photos' aspect ratios to be appropriate in different scenarios.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.