What Should I Upgrade?

GigaSnow

(Mods - Feel Free to move this if it's in the wrong spot).

Current Specs:

-AMD A10-7700k

-ASRock FM2+ A88M mATX

-8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram

-120 GB Kingston SSD 

-1 TB Seagate

-Solid Gear Neutron 550W non-modular PSU

-Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

-No GPU

-Stock AMD Cooler

So, long story short, I built this computer last February. I wanted to build something budget, that I could upgrade over time. Well, now is that time. I was thinking about one of two options:

-GPU (GTX 970 4GB)

or

-CPU (Skylake i7, or i5) + MoBo + DDR4 Ram 

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice on what to upgrade. I'm not so sure if I need an i7 since I'm not doing anything too intense, but I figured I'd leave it on the table. As far as a GPU, not having one currently, and gaining one would be a nice option. 

Thoughts?

If you plan to game in any fashion, get the GPU

If you don't game or have any use for a GPU then get the skylake, i7 will be much better over an i5 purely for hyperthreading and i3 pshaw do i even have to say why not.

-snip-

What do you want to use your PC for? And what do you currently use it for?

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

get the cooler master hyper 212 evo for a cooler and an R9 380-380x for the gpu if your on  budget or if your not, get one of the noctua coolers or something similar and a gtx 970.

What do you want to use your PC for? And what do you currently use it for?

Originally, when I first built it I wanted a gaming rig. I still do to an extent. Currently though, it's just being used for web surfing/streaming/writing papers (mainly due to time though). 

I may get into some image/video editing in the future, not entirely sure though.

Originally, when I first built it I wanted a gaming rig. I still do to an extent. Currently though, it's just being used for web surfing/streaming/writing papers (mainly due to time though). 

I may get into some image/video editing in the future, not entirely sure though.

Well if your first and foremost need is for gaming. Then id suggest a new GPU. Do you have a budget? You suggested a GTX 970 which gives me a rough idea of price range. Currently the R9 390 is pretty much the same price but offers more power. Also if you have an AMD APU if I remember correctly the APU can do something to run alongside a AMD GPU too? So it might be in your favor to get an AMD GPU like the R9 390 :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Well if your first and foremost need is for gaming. Then id suggest a new GPU. Do you have a budget? You suggested a GTX 970 which gives me a rough idea of price range. Currently the R9 390 is pretty much the same price but offers more power. Also if you have an AMD APU if I remember correctly the APU can do something to run alongside a AMD GPU too? So it might be in your favor to get an AMD GPU like the R9 390 :)

Yeah, $300-$400 (give or take) is what I set my budget at. I'm certainly open to an AMD card, especially if it can utilize the power of my APU. 

I suppose going with a GPU now makes more sense, since I wasn't all that impressed with the current LGA 1151 board options, and DDR4 is still somewhat spendy. Might not be a bad idea to wait.

Do you happen to know of any models that come in white? It's not all that important, just wanted to keep up with the color scheme. Blue or Black also works.

Yeah, $300-$400 (give or take) is what I set my budget at. I'm certainly open to an AMD card, especially if it can utilize the power of my APU. 

I suppose going with a GPU now makes more sense, since I wasn't all that impressed with the current LGA 1151 board options, and DDR4 is still somewhat spendy. Might not be a bad idea to wait.

Do you happen to know of any models that come in white? It's not all that important, just wanted to keep up with the color scheme. Blue or Black also works.

Im really not to sure on colour options. I think most are black with accents. Might be worth looking around and seeing if there is one though. Otherwise painting bits with plasti-dip might be another fun project ;)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

Im really not to sure on colour options. I think most are black with accents. Might be worth looking around and seeing if there is one though. Otherwise painting bits with plasti-dip might be another fun project ;)

For sure!

Thanks for the help!

For sure!

Thanks for the help!

No worries mate :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

(Mods - Feel Free to move this if it's in the wrong spot).

Current Specs:

-AMD A10-7700k

-ASRock FM2+ A88M mATX

-8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram

-120 GB Kingston SSD 

-1 TB Seagate

-Solid Gear Neutron 550W non-modular PSU

-Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

-No GPU

-Stock AMD Cooler

So, long story short, I built this computer last February. I wanted to build something budget, that I could upgrade over time. Well, now is that time. I was thinking about one of two options:

-GPU (GTX 970 4GB)

or

-CPU (Skylake i7, or i5) + MoBo + DDR4 Ram 

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice on what to upgrade. I'm not so sure if I need an i7 since I'm not doing anything too intense, but I figured I'd leave it on the table. As far as a GPU, not having one currently, and gaining one would be a nice option. 

Thoughts?

400 dollars budget could get you easily at least a 390

like the Powercolor 390 PCS+

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr93908gbd5ppdhe

the rest of the budget is to invest in a better PSU, because i am pretty sure the PSU is not even 80 Plus rated

also investing on a CoolerMaster 212 Evo for better cooling and allowing you to OC the CPU part.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Buy a graphics cars. You can get one for $200 or $1000. Pick your flavor.

-snip-  

Yeah, I need a new PSU. It's not 80 Plus and it's modular which is a nightmare in my case.  I like it for what it is, though.

Do I need to up the wattage or am I okay at the 550w area? 

Also, the 390x appears to be about $50 more, is it worth it, or should I just stick to the 390? 

Yeah, I need a new PSU. It's not 80 Plus and it's modular which is a nightmare in my case. I like it for what it is, though.

Do I need to up the wattage or am I okay at the 550w area?

Also, the 390x appears to be about $50 more, is it worth it, or should I just stick to the 390?

390x for 50 bucks more is def worth since the 390x is like gtx980 tier

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Considering the statement "I'd leave it on the table"

I would only suggest you to get a decent GPU like r9 280x for gaming(that too if you do..!) Moova according to ur requirements you don't have to upgrade it mucha and waste money... Unless you have enough to do so... Ur present config is pretty good so hang on to this if u don't do mucha with this pc