Problems with network

Giuseppe96

Ok, i have a problem, my internet does not work sometimes and other times works slowly, i've called my isp and he said that i've too much devices connected, but i don't think that the problem is this because i've "only" 21 devices but many of theese are cameras or the sky decoder or other type of devices that have only the ip address... So the problem is that i have the 30MB/S connection (i know is slowly ) but i reach sometimes only 3.something MB/S ! My question is: is a maximum number of devices that can be connected to a modem? And is possible that i have some interference or dispersion that cause me this problem?

You probably have so many devices using bandwidth, that sometimes you dont get any cut of it

My native language is C++

Ok, i have a problem, my internet does not work sometimes and other times works slowly, i've called my isp and he said that i've too much devices connected, but i don't think that the problem is this because i've "only" 21 devices but many of theese are cameras or the sky decoder or other type of devices that have only the ip address... So the problem is that i have the 30MB/S connection (i know is slowly ) but i reach sometimes only 3.something MB/S ! My question is: is a maximum number of devices that can be connected to a modem? And is possible that i have some interference or dispersion that cause me this problem?

1. Sounds like the old Bytes = bits issue. you will be paying for 30Mbits not 30MBytes, 30Mb is about 3.75MB. So this is expected.

2. There is a maximum for a modem. normally it is 1... but most 'modem's are actually 'modem\router combos' so your max would be (assuming the most common subnet\dhcp config: 192.168.1.1\24) ~253. But this is assuming wired connections to everything. If you on wireless, normal consumer wi-fi has a limit of ~10-20 devices. If you spending $$$ on enterprise stuff, you normally get~50 or more clients depending on the model.

It also depends on what the devices are doing. if they are sitting there doing nothing? it shouldn't affect your internet speeds. If they are all looking at netflix, i'd expect shitty performance on all devices. (and i suspect you have an apple phone or two, which will auto download ios updates, which could affect your speed at seemingly random times, but this also applies to all the other devices).

No, I'm sure that i pay for 30 Mbytes /s because days ago I've done the speedtest and it was 29.something.

Anyway I've only 4 devices in wifi connected to the modem and I've connected via LAN the AppleTime Capsule (in the other room) and I've all via ethernet except for the cameras or tablets and phones... but i can't reach that number of devices active in the same time, they are still connected but don't use internet all at the same time...

Your OP said 30MB, your latest reply said 30Mb. 

What modem and router do you have?

No, I'm sure that i pay for 30 Mbytes /s because days ago I've done the speedtest and it was 29.something.

Anyway I've only 4 devices in wifi connected to the modem and I've connected via LAN the AppleTime Capsule (in the other room) and I've all via ethernet except for the cameras or tablets and phones... but i can't reach that number of devices active in the same time, they are still connected but don't use internet all at the same time...

I highly doubt you are paying for 30MB/s since no sane ISP sells bandwidth in megabytes. 30MBps equals 240Mbps. The fact that you called 30MB/s slow tells me that you mean 30Mb/s unless gigabit is common in your area.

If all of this is correct then @Blake is right and your "3.something" MB/s is nearly your maximum speed. I'm more disappointed that your ISP didn't bother checking this when you contacted them. Whenever I call any of my ISPs they've always sent me to a specific speed test website and had me tell them the results (it had to be a specific site so they know if the results would be in MBps or Mbps).

For the sake of argument, go to speedtest.net and link us your results here. Thanks.

-KuJoe