My gpu is LOUD

Go to solution Solved by FoxxyRin,

Your using a ref. cooler. The hell did you expect? That being said, those temps are fine. Wait and upgrade for like a fury or hold for pascal and polaris.

In a tiny case like what he has, a reference cooler can actually be better in the end. However, they do happen to be louder sometimes.

OP: It depends on how much money you have to spare. If you're gonna be stuck on this card for another year or something, maybe you should go for a new cooling option for it since it's the cheaper option. If you're only a few months away from upgrading or something, just live with the noise for now.

So I am having an issue with my gtx 770. I noticed that when I started playing blade and soul I was sometimes dropping to 30 fps @ 1080p with ultra settings ffxa x4. I checked my gpu temp and I was hitting 90c!!?!!?. I did some case cleaning and got a lot of dust out and changed my fan settings now I am idle at 50c (wtf?) and hitting 80c with the fan at like 75% (hurricane force sound) with a reference board and 1150mhz clock speed. I am using a coolermaster 130 elite and a corsair H55 cpu cooler on my 4770k @ 4.3ghz. 

I am thinking of buying a new corsair HF SF http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h5-sf-low-profile-liquid-cpu-cooler to cool my cpu and then getting the HG10 N780 vga block and attach it to my H55 to cool my gtx 770.

Things are way to loud and hot. What do you guys think? Will cost around 130$ and will probably reuse when I upgrade. I don't have an issue with performance anymore just noise from gpu fan.

Would I be better off just saving money and getting a gtx 980 with a aftermarket cooler? 

post-302751-0-13422700-1453993877_thumb.

post-302751-0-69268100-1453994105.png

post-302751-0-03377800-1453994109.png

So I am having an issue with my gtx 770. I noticed that when I started playing blade and soul I was sometimes dropping to 30 fps @ 1080p with ultra settings ffxa x4. I checked my gpu temp and I was hitting 90c!!?!!?. I did some case cleaning and got a lot of dust out and changed my fan settings now I am idle at 50c (wtf?) and hitting 80c with the fan at like 75% (hurricane force sound) with a reference board and 1150mhz clock speed. I am using a coolermaster 130 elite and a corsair H55 cpu cooler on my 4770k @ 4.3ghz. 

I am thinking of buying a new corsair HF SF http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h5-sf-low-profile-liquid-cpu-cooler to cool my cpu and then getting the HG10 N780 vga block and attach it to my H55 to cool my gtx 770.

Things are way to loud and hot. What do you guys think? Will cost around 130$ and will probably reuse when I upgrade. I don't have an issue with performance anymore just noise from gpu fan.

Would I be better off just saving money and getting a gtx 980 with a aftermarket cooler? 

Your using a ref. cooler. The hell did you expect? That being said, those temps are fine. Wait and upgrade for like a fury or hold for pascal and polaris.

Has it done this before? Check GPU load via MSI Afterburner.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

In a tiny case like what he has, a reference cooler can actually be better in the end. However, they do happen to be louder sometimes.

OP: It depends on how much money you have to spare. If you're gonna be stuck on this card for another year or something, maybe you should go for a new cooling option for it since it's the cheaper option. If you're only a few months away from upgrading or something, just live with the noise for now.

It had never really been that loud or hot till I started playing blade and soul. However I never really put that much pressure on it. gpu load while playing hovers around 99%. I bought this system when the 770 was first released and only the reference board was available where I bought it.

It's a reference cooler, that's normal

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I just can't seem to find a good reason to upgrade the 770. Blade and soul is the most demanding game I play right now and I hover around 80-120fps. Just wish it was quieter. 

It had never really been that loud or hot till I started playing blade and soul. However I never really put that much pressure on it. gpu load while playing hovers around 99%. I bought this system when the 770 was first released and only the reference board was available where I bought it.

Well the 99% load would explain the heat and noise. I'd say wait a few months for Pascal and Polaris. (Also if you plan on upgrading, get a better PSU as well)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I just can't seem to find a good reason to upgrade the 770. Blade and soul is the most demanding game I play right now and I hover around 80-120fps. Just wish it was quieter. 

If that's the case, I'd consider going ahead with your plans to upgrade the cooling options. If your card runs cooler, it will extend its life a bit longer as well, and as you said in the original post, you can reuse the new radiators in the future when you upgrade. It definitely wouldn't be a bad investment in the longrun. :)

Is 50c idle normal?

Nope. Is the house you're in really dusty or something? Or is the GPU choked?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

If you're adventurous take the cooler off and repaste.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

This.

I did this on my 970 a few weeks ago and it shut the thing right up.. even overclocked my fans never go higher than 50% now, where before they would hit 95%.  Granted I don't have the same video card you do, it's worth a shot and it's relatively easy.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Nope. Is the house you're in really dusty or something? Or is the GPU choked?

Well it was really dusty and idling around 60c I think and 90 in load. Terrible I know. I cleaned a ton of dust out of it and now I am at 50c and 80c load. Gpu is clear as you can see in pic. I even switched the cpu fan as exhaust to pull fresh air to it from the mesh side panel.

If that's the case, I'd consider going ahead with your plans to upgrade the cooling options. If your card runs cooler, it will extend its life a bit longer as well, and as you said in the original post, you can reuse the new radiators in the future when you upgrade. It definitely wouldn't be a bad investment in the longrun. :)

Yea that's kind where I am at. I mean I was looking at a hybrid 980ti for a while and I just can't justify any reason for needing that much power. Everything runs fine right now and I like the build even if it is a little dated. My only concern is that I will be replacing a GPU blower with a CPU blower with the corsair HF SF. 

I am just thinking the 25% cpu usage vs 100% gpu usage in games will result in a much quieter gaming experience.  

This.

I did this on my 970 a few weeks ago and it shut the thing right up.. even overclocked my fans never go higher than 50% now, where before they would hit 95%.  Granted I don't have the same video card you do, it's worth a shot and it's relatively easy.

This is a good point. I might need to do this first. 

Well it was really dusty and idling around 60c I think and 90 in load. Terrible I know. I cleaned a ton of dust out of it and now I am at 50c and 80c load. Gpu is clear as you can see in pic. I even switched the cpu fan as exhaust to pull fresh air to it from the mesh side panel.

Yea that's kind where I am at. I mean I was looking at a hybrid 980ti for a while and I just can't justify any reason for needing that much power. Everything runs fine right now and I like the build even if it is a little dated. My only concern is that I will be replacing a GPU blower with a CPU blower with the corsair HF SF. 

I am just thinking the 25% cpu usage vs 100% gpu usage in games will result in a much quieter gaming experience.  

I suggest taking the cooler off and doing a VERY good cleaning of it.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I suggest taking the cooler off and doing a VERY good cleaning of it.

Ok I think you guys are right on this point. I will do this over my weekend (Monday-Tuesday) and report back on my findings. 

Hey guys another thing has come up.

I have noticed a very high idle TDP to go a long with and possibly explain my high idle temp. I removed my overclock and turned my fan down to make sure they were not a factor in this power consumption. I am idling at 20-21% tdp or 50~watts if I understand how this works.

idletdp

As you can see I am at 57% fan speed at 0% load and still at 47-50c

Anyone have thoughts on this? I have 4 monitors attached but normally only have 2 running at a time because I only have 2 in each room.

Hey guys another thing has come up.

I have noticed a very high idle TDP to go a long with and possibly explain my high idle temp. I removed my overclock and turned my fan down to make sure they were not a factor in this power consumption. I am idling at 20-21% tdp or 50~watts if I understand how this works.

As you can see I am at 57% fan speed at 0% load and still at 47-50c

Anyone have thoughts on this? I have 4 monitors attached but normally only have 2 running at a time because I only have 2 in each room.

Forget I said this I think I just realized the tdp is high because of high idle temps.

I know on my old 8900GT, if I'd have multiple monitors on it, it would ramp up the core clock for some reason. Take it down to single monitor, and see if the core clock will idle down to where it should be.

What driver are you using? 

Ok guys... I have an update.

I went ahead and removed my gpu cooler and gave it a good cleaning, however it did not go well.  I stripped out one of the screws by not paying enough attention (the shame) and after trying to use a rubber band and super glue I ended up having to drill it out. 56ae0f1dc851e_IMG_03741.thumb.JPG.387daa56ae0fb963fd0_IMG_03761.thumb.JPG.c5f81e

Finally I was able to get everything off and get to cleaning 56ae0ffb40ffa_IMG_03791.thumb.JPG.03d89a

After applying new thermal paste I plugged it into my pc and had a holy shit moment were I was sure I had killed it. I started to think about which new card I would buy, but luckily I had just confused my multi monitor cables and everything came back on OK... whew.

However after all this is done I did not get the idle temp of 35-39c that I was hopping for. The new thermal paste a cleaning gave me a total of 6c~ drop in temperature. Not a bad result but not as much as I was hoping for after the struggle this turned out to be.

newgputemp.png.944f5fb23ea184dd01e9fad9b

Thoughts? Thanks for the help guys.  

A GTX 770 is a very high heat-outputting GPU. I sold mine and bought a GTX 980 instead :D

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980