Can Noctua NH-L12 passivly cool an i3-6300T (35w)?

enborn
Go to solution Solved by enborn,

Hello!

Just wanted to say that I have now invested in all the parts and the computer been running fine for the past 10 days. I went for the Noctua NH-L12 and I'm using the 92mm fan with the supplied Low Noise Adapter and it is impossible to hear the fan (even at close range). It's about 500rpm. The temps are normally between 30-40*C, some times it goes up to 50-55*C when doing several tasks at once. 

Very happy with the result! Very good performance for what I'm using it for and it's inaudible.

Components:

Intel Core i3 6300T 3.3GHz
Asus H170M-Plus
Noctua NH-L12 (92mm with LNA)
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Kingston (2x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL12
FSP Group Aurum Xilenser Modular 400W
Silverstone Milo ML03

Hi!

I am wondering if a Noctua NH-L12 (http://noctua.at/en/nh-l12.html) could passivly cool an Intel i3-6300T (35w) in a Silverstone ML03 (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=283)?

I will not be playing any games. Just Youtube, Twitch, Kodi / MPC-HC / VLC and surfing the webz.

And a second question... will an i3-6300T (with only the integrated graphics) be able to play 1080p video at 60fps on Youtube and Twitch without skipping frames?

For web browsing the passive cooling will work if you have enough airflow.

For gaming WITH a fan on the cooler, some light games will run 60FPS and video playback won't be a problem either.

by passively do you mean without a heat-sink of any kind? If so, almost certainly not. if you mean taking a heat-sink, removing the stock fan from it, and letting the noctua do the work, then it might.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

by passively do you mean without a heat-sink of any kind? If so, almost certainly not. if you mean taking a heat-sink, removing the stock fan from it, and letting the noctua do the work, then it might.

Passive cooling means you use no additional energy to cool like a fan would. However you still need a heat sink, but as it doesn't require power it is passive.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

If i must have some kind of airflow to cool it... I could leave the 120mm fan on it but maybe run at a very low speed? I really want it as quiet as possible.

i never like passive cooling

thing about that one is, the fins are oriented sideways, so itll be harder to get air through it in a passive cool

use only the top larger fan if you want thje quietest possible, or get a different radiator with a different fin arrangement

If i must have some kind of airflow to cool it... I could leave the 120mm fan on it but maybe run at a very low speed? I really want it as quiet as possible.

Have a look here: http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-alpha-fanless-chassis/

It can easely cool a 35 watt CPU fanless...

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Hmmmm not sure about this heat sinks. They are made for server. They rely on the 3000 RPM case fans you usually have installed in the chassis.

Hmmmm not sure about this heat sinks. They are made for server. They rely on the 3000 RPM case fans you usually have installed in the chassis.

meh

look at some of them

theyd work

Have a look here: http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-alpha-fanless-chassis/

It can easely cool a 35 watt CPU fanless...

Yeah, well the thing is that I already have the Silverstone ML03 and a passive power supply that fits in that case. That FC8 Alpha case is a bit expensive also and I will need to get one of those Nano-PSU as well.

Yeah, well the thing is that I already have the Silverstone ML03 and a passive power supply that fits in that case. That FC8 Alpha case is a bit expensive also and I will need to get one of those Nano-PSU as well.

Well at this point you better stick with the Silverstone.

If you populate the case fan slots, this could work, but that's probably defying the purpose. I agree with TheePhaseLoad: Run the L12 with the B9 fan only at 600rpm or so, it will do the job and be practically inaudible.

If you populate the case fan slots, this could work, but that's probably defying the purpose. I agree with TheePhaseLoad: Run the L12 with the B9 fan only at 600rpm or so, it will do the job and be practically inaudible.

But if i have room to run the 120mm fan, that would be quieter than the 92mm one, right?

But if i have room to run the 120mm fan, that would be quieter than the 92mm one, right?

No at the same RPM the smaler one is quieter.

You don't need the big one as you only have to cool 35 wats.

It should be able to do what you want it to do while being passively cooled, and would handle full load with only the 92mm fan. I'm pretty sure you could turn down the 92mm fan enough so you can't hear it from any distance, their fans are very good.

It should be able to do what you want it to do while being passively cooled, and would handle full load with only the 92mm fan. I'm pretty sure you could turn down the 92mm fan enough so you can't hear it from any distance, their fans are very good.

Alright, thank you guys! I will try passive first and if i see that the temperature is getting a bit too high I will add the 92mm fan on low speed.

You can take the top 120mm fan off and leave the 92mm fan on at the bottom with the low noise adapter.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Not at the same RPM of course but the 120mm will be quieter producing the same amount of airflow, so if you have room for the 120mm, use it. The Silverstone only seem to offer 70mm though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Just wanted to say that I have now invested in all the parts and the computer been running fine for the past 10 days. I went for the Noctua NH-L12 and I'm using the 92mm fan with the supplied Low Noise Adapter and it is impossible to hear the fan (even at close range). It's about 500rpm. The temps are normally between 30-40*C, some times it goes up to 50-55*C when doing several tasks at once. 

Very happy with the result! Very good performance for what I'm using it for and it's inaudible.

Components:

Intel Core i3 6300T 3.3GHz
Asus H170M-Plus
Noctua NH-L12 (92mm with LNA)
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Kingston (2x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL12
FSP Group Aurum Xilenser Modular 400W
Silverstone Milo ML03

On 1/28/2016 at 5:13 AM, ThreePhaseLoad said:

I would leave the smaller fan on and run it at 1000 RPM.

1000rpm is very high. ~100rpm would be fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.