Is the HDD normal when it achieves a 0.5 mb/s minimum transfer rate in HD Tune Pro?

Arenjames
Go to solution Solved by yimello,

I have an old Ultrabook where my old files and data are stored in a Toshiba 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It's been a very long time since the last time I used my Ultrabook so I decided to have it a go. I used HD Tune Pro to check if my transfer rates are normal because I want to make sure if the hard drive is still fine and not dying. But when I realised that it achieved a 112 mb/s (maximum) 0.5 mb/s (minimum) -which made me worry. and 85 mb/s (average). Is this something to worry about? Because if that's the case I would back-up my files immediately in order not to lose them. Thanks for the replies in advance, appreciate it.

Back-upping files should be a great idea even if you do not see any risks in your hardware ;) If you have no device to put your backups just clone your old hdd to a new ssd and let the hdd lay as a backup. That will be getting you a new and faster drive and the old drive as a backup drive instead of buying an external drive just for backups and still everyday being not sure about your current hdd health. 

I have an old Ultrabook where my old files and data are stored in a Toshiba 500GB 5400RPM HDD. It's been a very long time since the last time I used my Ultrabook so I decided to have it a go. I used HD Tune Pro to check if my transfer rates are normal because I want to make sure if the hard drive is still fine and not dying. But when I realised that it achieved a 112 mb/s (maximum) 0.5 mb/s (minimum) -which made me worry. and 85 mb/s (average). Is this something to worry about? Because if that's the case I would back-up my files immediately in order not to lose them. Thanks for the replies in advance, appreciate it.

Work/Office/Server PC: 2 Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 CPUs - 3 Nvidia GTX Titan X GPUs in 3-WAY SLI - 16X16GB Kingston 256GB ECC RAM - Asus Z10PE-D16 WS SSI CEB Server Motherboard - Intel DC P3608 4TB PCI-E Solid State Drive - 10 6TB Western Digital Red Pro Hard Disk Drives - 2 Corsair H80i Liquid CPU Coolers - Cooler Master Cosmos II - 2500W TDK Lambda 80+ Platinum PSU - Dell UP2715K 5120X2880 60hz Monitor - Microsoft WTA-00001 Keyboard/Mouse Combo - Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Sound System - Windows 10 Enterprise - Samsung SE-506AB External Slim Blu-ray Drive. - IBM 53953KX UPS.

Back-upping files should be a great idea even if you do not see any risks in your hardware ;) If you have no device to put your backups just clone your old hdd to a new ssd and let the hdd lay as a backup. That will be getting you a new and faster drive and the old drive as a backup drive instead of buying an external drive just for backups and still everyday being not sure about your current hdd health.