Sharing Files Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Figured it out, was something with public folders on Windows 8.1. They changed the meaning of the settings in 8.1 from 7. Honestly what the fuck Microsoft. Fucking Christ. 

Trying to share files between my laptop and desktop, I can't seem to get it to work. My settings seem fine for everything to work as well. Sharing should work with wired to wireless and vice versa right? I know for sure that you don't need a homegroup. I have noticed though on 8.1 that it says the network is private while on 7 says it's a home network. I also have sharing turned on in PC settings for 8.1 as well. I'm not sure what the issue could be. 

edit -

got it working for windows 8.1 to view windows 7, but I can't get 8.1 to view each other, they all have the same sharing settings so I'm not sure what the issue could be, and I can't seem to have 7 to view 8.1

any ideas?

Anyone?

You could try going to the network page in Windows Explorer, then type \\<IP address of the file sharing PC>. So it would look something like the picture below. 

If that works, you should then be able to right click the share and map it as a network drive. 

Provided the share is actually working, it may just be that the PCs aren't set to show up for other devices on the same network. Might have to dig through some settings to find that. 

post-21359-0-21146200-1454026037_thumb.p

post-21359-0-20894600-1454026183_thumb.p

-snip

What you said about the devices showing up, I got both PCs to show up on the network, however, when I go inside them from the network window, nothing shows up, files aren't visible. Do you know what it could be? 

What you said about the devices showing up, I got both PCs to show up on the network, however, when I go inside them from the network window, nothing shows up, files aren't visible. Do you know what it could be? 

Try sharing a new folder. I don't know if it's the same through Windows 8.1 as it is on 10, but you should just have to right click the folder > Share with > specific people > then set whoever you want to share with (can be set to everyone). If it doesn't show up still, it may be worth resetting the network and sharing preferences and starting again. 

in explorer on laptop type \\<desktopname or IP>\c$\

hit enter.

Enter admin credentials.

You now have full access to the C:\ on that system (same thing will work in the other direction).

This works for all drives. If you have a G:\ on the other system replace C$ with G$.

If you do that and all your issues dissapear your issue is going to be related to:

1. Share permissions,

2. NTFS permissions, or,

3. You are using the wrong user

To fix these issues:

1. Set the shared folders' share permissions for full access (or read and write to everyone, if your on a domain change that to authenticated users).

2. Read permissions are required to see the files, if you have access based enumeration enabled, and the user doesn't have read access, they wont be able to see anything. if you want to make changes to documents you need the write permission. if you want to be able to write new files you need modify.

3. Assuming you have the same user account name on both systems, make sure you connect to the desktop as desktop\<desktop username> and not with <desktop username> and by default explorer will use the username it knows about which in this case will resolve to laptop\<desktop username>, which you desktop being the desktop and not the laptop will say"K, you can use guest's permissions"

-snip

How do I set the shared folders permissions for full access? It's not a user account issue. What is NTFS and how could that be the problem 

How do I set the shared folders permissions for full access? It's not a user account issue. What is NTFS and how could that be the problem 

right click the folder you want to share, then in the sharing tab, click advanced sharing, tick share this folder and click permissions. set everyone to full control (or if you know what you are doing and are security minded, you could change it to a specific group\user). You have just set your share permissions.

Right click the folder you want to share, then click the security tab, then click edit... Set authenticated users to have Read & Execute, and modify or write (you could also give full control here also). I'd stay away from giving the everyone group full control, just poor security. You have just set NTFS permissions.

Simplest way to put it is:

Share permissions = access to the share, best practice is to leave them open.

NTFS permissions = HDD permissions, can you read or write to the HDD\folder, best practice is to be as restrictive as possible.

-snip

Isn't there a way I can share all files and folders instead of selecting for each? I'm able to do so in Windows 7, but when I have the exact same settings applied from 7 to 8, I'm not able to share all files and folders. It's something in Windows 8. 

Figured it out, was something with public folders on Windows 8.1. They changed the meaning of the settings in 8.1 from 7. Honestly what the fuck Microsoft. Fucking Christ. 

So... apparently... sharing only works with the OS drive and not ones that have storage tied to the computer... Fuck... Looks like I'll have to build a server then.