120 mm rad for both CPU and GPU. is it enough?

a week ago i finally found a store that sell in win 901. there's not so many store that has this brand 

i plan to get it for my next upgrade. my question is, is a single 120 mm rad enough to cool both CPU and GPU with casual overclock because that is the only watercooling option in this case. except if i mod it.

there is also an example. the R9 295X2 is a dual GPU and it's only cooled by a single 120 mm rad and it's still being cooled properly. what if i only use a single 120 mm for both my CPU and GPU? is it ok?

thank u so much.

best regards..

a week ago i finally found a store that sell in win 901. there's not so many store that has this brand 

i plan to get it for my next upgrade. my question is, is a single 120 mm rad enough to cool both CPU and GPU with casual overclock because that is the only watercooling option in this case. except if i mod it.

there is also an example. the R9 295X2 is a dual GPU and it's only cooled by a single 120 mm rad and it's still being cooled properly. what if i only use a single 120 mm for both my CPU and GPU? is it ok?

thank u so much.

best regards..

I really don't think so......

there is also an example. the R9 295X2 is a dual GPU and it's only cooled by a single 120 mm rad and it's still being cooled properly.

Its being cooled by a 120 mm radiator AND a stock air cooler.

If you don't want a leaf blower worth of fans moving air, you'll need more space unless running hot is okay with you.

thank u so much.

best regards..

I believe you asked this before but it will be able to cool both a CPU and GPU but not in any way quietly, or either very cool. It's recommended to have a minimum of 120mm of rad space per component plus an extra 120mm for general quiet cooling. 

The Inwin 901 can house a single 120mm in the front bottom and one in the rear, or if you want mount an exterior 240mm rad which i have seen before:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1444673/chiphell-in-win-901-aluminum-and-tempered-glass-itx-case/160#post_21993514

350x700px-LL-a67cd1cb_image.jpeg

I believe you asked this before but it will be able to cool both a CPU and GPU but not in any way quietly, or either very cool. It's recommended to have a minimum of 120mm of rad space per component plus an extra 120mm for general quiet cooling.

The Inwin 901 can house a single 120mm in the front bottom and one in the rear, or if you want mount an exterior 240mm rad which i have seen before:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1444673/chiphell-in-win-901-aluminum-and-tempered-glass-itx-case/160#post_21993514

350x700px-LL-a67cd1cb_image.jpeg

yea.. i've seen this picture. the problem is, i can't find any real picture that prove this layout can be done properly. because, i'm sure that i'll go with a full size GPU

It will do a mediocre job even if you have the pump and fans running at 100% I say 360 rad, minimum.

Its being cooled by a 120 mm radiator AND a stock air cooler.

If you don't want a leaf blower worth of fans moving air, you'll need more space unless running hot is okay with you.

hhmm.. if 60-62 isn't hot for me, can a single 120mm rad achieve this?

hhmm.. if 60-62 isn't hot for me, can a single 120mm rad achieve this?

No. Mod the case and fit a bigger radiator, I recommend fitting the biggest that will fit. If you don't want to mod the case then make a radiator box and connect it to the system with quick disconnects.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

yea.. i've seen this picture. the problem is, i can't find any real picture that prove this layout can be done properly. because, i'm sure that i'll go with a full size GPU

Good point with a full sized card that can be an issue, have you consider exterior mounting the rad with a 240mm in the rear similar to this it would provide the needed cooling at decent noise levels, a 120mm rad while it might be able to keep up would be very noisy, and with overclocking might start to fall short.

500x1000px-LL-5443acb6_OpenCaseInWin901.

No. Mod the case and fit a bigger radiator, I recommend fitting the biggest that will fit. If you don't want to mod the case then make a radiator box and connect it to the system with quick disconnects.

Good point with a full sized card that can be an issue, have you consider exterior mounting the rad with a 240mm in the rear similar to this it would provide the needed cooling at decent noise levels, a 120mm rad while it might be able to keep up would be very noisy, and with overclocking might start to fall short.

500x1000px-LL-5443acb6_OpenCaseInWin901.

the problem is :

1. i love this case because of it's sleek design

2. i want everything inside my case. not outside, because it will destroy the sleek looks

3. i don't have any talent on modding anything hahaha... that will be a terrible idea

can i put a radiator under the bottom (main) intake? i think that will be a good solution, so i can have two 120 mm rads but doesn't sacrifice the sleek looks to much

if it's not possible, maybe the only choice that i have is using single 120 mm AIO rad for the CPU only

i'm still a bit curious. what about R9 295X2? it only has one 120 mm rad to cool two very hot processor and it works just fine. i believe that the fan is only for cooling the VRAM and doesn't affect the liquid cooling itself, right?

thx and regards

the problem is :

2. i want everything inside my case. not outside, because it will destroy the sleek looks

3. i don't have any talent on modding anything hahaha... that will be a terrible idea

can i put a radiator under the bottom (main) intake? i think that will be a good solution, so i can have two 120 mm rads but doesn't sacrifice the sleek looks to much

if it's not possible, maybe the only choice that i have is using single 120 mm AIO rad for the CPU only

i'm still a bit curious. what about R9 295X2? it only has one 120 mm rad to cool two very hot processor and it works just fine. i believe that the fan is only for cooling the VRAM and doesn't affect the liquid cooling itself, right?

thx and regards

For placing the rad under the main intake it would require work to get the tubing through to the inside of the case and hold it into place.

As for the 295X2 it will still  need to ramp up the fan on the rad if there is a high load to keep up so it wouldn't be completely silent, and it does only cool the GPU dies where the fan on it is for the VRM and PCB. The rad they have is a very high fin density rad and being thick also helps marginally with better cooling performance but is harder to push air through it.

EDIT: As suggested by Benji_w doing an external rad setup would be a good optional alternative.

Edited by W-L

the problem is :

thx and regards

Just stick to air cooling.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Why do you want to watercool it? A single 120 radiator on EITHER of the CPU or GPU won't be much quieter than air cooling, if at all, let alone trying to cool both. It must not be for temps, since it can't work for both.

If you really wanted to do it, cooling the GPU alone will yield the most drop in load temps.

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

For placing the rad under the main intake it would require work to get the tubing through to the inside of the case and hold it into place.

As for the 295X2 it will still  need to ramp up the fan on the rad if there is a high load to keep up so it wouldn't be completely silent, and it does only cool the GPU dies where the fan on it is for the VRM and PCB. The rad they have is a very high fin density rad and being thick also helps marginally with better cooling performance but is harder to push air through it.

EDIT: As suggested by Benji_w doing an external rad setup would be a good optional alternative.

Just stick to air cooling.

Why do you want to watercool it? A single 120 radiator on EITHER of the CPU or GPU won't be much quieter than air cooling, if at all, let alone trying to cool both. It must not be for temps, since it can't work for both.

If you really wanted to do it, cooling the GPU alone will yield the most drop in load temps.

the conclusion is, even if i watercool this case, i can only use a single 120 mm AIO radiator for my CPU or my GPU only. 

i really hope that nvidia will make a smaller flagship GPU on their pascal lineups because they start using HBM etc on them. i'm not going to upgrade my GTX 780 anytime soon. i'm not that interested with maxwell lineups. so.. yea.. single 120 mm AIO is still the best option for now.

thank u so much guys.. 

best regards.. :D

oh.. maybe u wanna check out my first client build.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/535219-budget-mini-gaming-pc-jonsbo-u3-i5-4460-gtx-950/

it's not a very interesting build because it's a budget minded build. but, your comments will be useful for me to make a better build for my future clients.

thanks again :D

thx and regards

Yes and no. You can't underestimate the value of moving air over the board.

As a test, I just fired up my R9 290 with the fans locked at 40% the temperature stabilized at 84 C

I then added a 120 mm fan about 2" away from the back blowing right at the card, and the temps dropped to a stable 72 C

This is just a 120 pointed at the back, its not cooling the whole board, no ducting etc, and it dropped 12 C

VRM 1 went from 55 to 40

VRM 2 went from 78 to 55

Check this picture out:

card-pieces.jpg

I think the fan is going to carry a LOT of heat off that board with the help of those board covering heatsinks.

How much is into the air vs water? No clue. Tom's Hardware clocked it at an actual 427 watt average draw though.

You didn't say what CPU and GPU, that will make a difference. It looks like you might be able to get away with it.... Still not recommended though. You can put 2x 120s in your case like you said which would be safe for sure.

I will make it a point to run several instrumented tests in the future to check wattage at temperature of a number of radiator sizes. (Don't hold your breath though, it will be a while.)

thank u so much.

best regards..

Inwin 901

Only custom loop attempt I could find