FIXED!! Help needed part missing on a Xeon E5 2690 v2 (10core 3ghz)

A friend gave me a broken xeon E5 2690 v2 cpu.

On the bottom left side there is tiny part missing.

I allready found people who can solder such small parts.

Now comes the challenge where I need the help for.

I don't have the missing part. I need to find out the specs and value of the part.

Does anyone know an intel engineer who can supply the info about the missing part?

I really hope someone can help me. It is really worth trying to save this chip and build a machine around it. Or find a second cpu and upgrsde my dual E5 2640 v2 (the 2690 v2 is really expensive so that option is not doable)

Who can help me?

I attached 3 photo to this topic.

post-1402-0-30129500-1453819937_thumb.jp

post-1402-0-04299300-1453819949_thumb.jp

post-1402-0-16100700-1453819967.jpg

you could measure the resistance on the other identical ones to find what you need

or rma it, intel accept one with blown up resistors so im sure a missing one is ok @TheGamingBarrel

This parts are most likely capasitors.

Putting resistors there makes no sense at all. However it could still be an inductor, but I don't think it is one.

So you need a capasitor. The size looks like 0402 but it's hard to tell from the foto. The voltage it has to withstand is probaly 2 volts max. but better get a 6.3 volt one.

As for the value, the bigger the better. But due to the size you are limitted to something arounf 10 nF I assume. Also get an X7R type or NP0 as these are the best.

BUT a capasitor not blow up for no reason. It was most likely fried due to a defect inside the CPU. So the new one will also be in danger.

Also the CPU should still operate with one capasitor missing, oly the stability is reduced.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Also where do you life? I may be able to get some capasitors for you as they cost about 0.05 bucks in bulk order. However to get a single one is usually pretty expensive.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I can't RMA it is an OEM cpu. probably sold by Dell or HP.

It is not blown up just broken off by bad handling.

Are you sure about the values?

I live In The netherlands near amsterdam

I can't RMA it is an OEM cpu. probably sold by Dell or HP.

It is not blown up just broken off by bad handling.

Are you sure about the values?

I live In The netherlands near amsterdam

Then you were lucky. Because normaly the pads is bound better to the capacitor than to the PCB and get's rip off too.

About the values:

Nobody but Intel knows the exact value, but I can use 7 years of studying electronics to give an advise.

voltage: you can probably go below 6.3 volts, but using a higher one is save.

Capacity: as these capacitors are use to supress the rippel on the supply rail, the typical value is 0.1 to 100 nF. Usually high speed devices use the lower end of the range.

Size: give me the size in mm and I can tell you what format you need.

Material: yust get the best one. For mass production it's costy, but for a single one it's not important.

• 2 weeks later...

Stefan thanks for you help!

I managed to get it fixed!

Someone soldered the part on it and he removed it from a celeron 3ghz!

It did a 4 hour stresstest today without issues!

cpu1.jpg

cpu2.jpg

cpu3.jpg