Video idea: daily use peripherals in a head to head battle to determine the best available

atomiku

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but I was shopping about for a replacement USB hub and have sort of become inundated with a wide range of products that I found difficult to compare, and only a few of them seem to mention things I actually care about.

What if LTT did a series of videos where they would go and acquire a dozen or so computer or tech peripherals that, while maybe not exciting, are extremely useful (i.e. a USB Hub) and compare them on price and features. The reason I want a new one personally is that mine doesn't seem to feature full USB 2 speeds to it's ports, even if you only have one device hooked up, as I tried using the audio jack on my XBone controller and Windows complained about a lack of bandwidth, even when I unplugged everything else from hub. Unplugging the hub from the back of my computer and hooking up the controller worked just fine though. I bought a very highly rated USB 2.0 hub, but nowhere was this shortcoming mentioned, and I feel like it's something you'd only really notice through use.

I feel like a video where Luke or Linus took the top 10 hubs on amazon and compared them by putting them through a barrage of tests (how many high power usb devices, such as portable harddrives will it run simulataneously, what kind of amperage is it capable of pushing out of a single port vs when all ports are under load, how much does it effect speed of devices, so on) would be entertaining and informative.

This could be a recurring theme with other peripherals people might be shopping for (webcams? how well they autofocus, resolution, picture crispness, compatibility with streaming softwares, low light performance, etc) (Wireless cards? USB vs PCIe, range, speed, etc) and it would help people to decide how best to spend their hard earned money. And, while I know these product lines don't get updated as often as say, cpus and graphics cards, an update every few years would still be useful, and help fill out the schedule.

Maybe this is stupid, or has been suggested, or even done (I don't think so, I've watched pretty much every LTT video made, but I could have missed a few) but I thought I'd bring it up and see what happens.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

Linus has said multiple times that they only do videos for things they find interesting.  Testing commodity items is the direct opposite of that IMHO.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Linus has said multiple times that they only do videos for things they find interesting.  Testing commodity items is the direct opposite of that IMHO.

That's fair, I suppose. I guess what I find interesting and what other people find interesting can be quite different.

You mean to tell me that not everyone spends hours of their day watching multi-hour raspberry pi tutorials on projects they never plan on recreating?

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

That's fair, I suppose. I guess what I find interesting and what other people find interesting can be quite different.

You mean to tell me that not everyone spends hours of their day watching multi-hour raspberry pi tutorials on projects they never plan on recreating?

Nope. I instead spend 8 months deciding whether to get the Corsair 760T, or the past 5 months deciding if I want to get a G-Sync monitor and never actually making a decision.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I spend hours making dozens of builds I'll probably never get. :D oh that sweet 30k build if I ever win the lotto.

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

This falls pretty much under Useful Tech Under $100 videos. Something like USB hub is bit difficult. My personal recommendation is to go for known cheap brands. Deltaco is one of available here I trust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv