Violent Color mini ITX build log.

TheKingCockroach

Violent Color mini ITX build log:

Hello! I am in the process of cleaning up my first PC build in a long time. With this build, I decided that I wanted to try out a small form factor, and keep things simple. The skull theme is something that is a part of a project I am working on, so that is why you will find it throughout. I consider this first phase to be complete, and am working on getting all of the aesthetics complete before purchasing a graphics card, as I am still not 100% sure what I want to do on that front.

VCPC001_zpsmof0otoj.jpg

Specs are as follows;

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Impact

Processor: Intel 6600K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz

Video Card: Gigabyte 980 TI Xtreme Gaming (Planned)

Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB HGST Travelstar 7200RPM

Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W

Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX

Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing RBG 140mm

Monitor: Acer Predator X34 (Planned)

VCPC002_zps3giu224g.jpg

VCPC003_zpswj3khtvh.jpg

The case will be vinyl wrapped in 3M Matte black, and I will be re doing the skull on the front panel in gloss black. The pink skull on the H100i GTX was just a placeholder, as you can see in the photo below I have sanded off the paint, and will be painting this to allow just the skull to shine through with the light. Due to the fact that the USB cable from the Corsair doesn't fit on the Impact board, I had to tear it apart and completely re-wrap it, but I still have to figure out how I am going to plug it onto the board without a USB2 header. 

VCPC004_zpsvnzncsbh.jpg

I am also in the process of dying my paracord a few different shades of gray, which will be part of my grayscale sleeved cables, among a few other small touches. I will also be painting all of the red components dark gray, which will complete my grayscale coloring of the entire build. This will allow me to change the color of my LEDs to whatever suits my fancy. Stay tuned for updates!

Also, while I have some peoples attention, I had a question on cooling in this guy. Assume I can't put the radiator on top for a good reason, and that is out of the question. With the radiator being on the front, would it be more beneficial to keep it in "push" configuration with the two 120mm fans that came with it in front of it, or put the 200mm fan that came with the case back in front, and stick the 120mm fans behind the radiator for a "push / pull" configuration? I feel like the 200mm pushed a ton of air, and that the combination of fans like this would work well, but I'm not sure.

Also, while I have some peoples attention, I had a question on cooling in this guy. Assume I can't put the radiator on top for a good reason, and that is out of the question. With the radiator being on the front, would it be more beneficial to keep it in "push" configuration with the two 120mm fans that came with it in front of it, or put the 200mm fan that came with the case back in front, and stick the 120mm fans behind the radiator for a "push / pull" configuration? I feel like the 200mm pushed a ton of air, and that the combination of fans like this would work well, but I'm not sure.

that could be interesting to try at least, however, they'd be moving different amounts of air, so I'm not sure it would work well

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

that could be interesting to try at least, however, they'd be moving different amounts of air, so I'm not sure it would work well

Thanks for the response! I assumed that could be one problem, and the other would be that the static pressure fans would be behind the radiator drawing out air, with an airflow fan in front drawing in air. While not ideal, it would seem that more airflow = more air into the radiator = cooler temps. I guess I could just test it in the current configuration and with the setup I described and see what happens.

Good thinking putting the h100i gtx in the front because i have mine in the top and it was a pain in the fucking butt getting it installed.

I'd say try with both 200mm and 120mm fans, because why not? Should work.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Good thinking putting the h100i gtx in the front because i have mine in the top and it was a pain in the fucking butt getting it installed.

I'd say try with both 200mm and 120mm fans, because why not? Should work.

Thanks! I really just did it because I didn't want to cover up my beautiful motherboard, but I also wanted to use it as an intake. I am probably going to mess around with the fan setups and see what happens.

why you chose the Impact, you will overclock your CPU at high speed clock?.

why don't you buy the Z170i PRO GAMING, it's cheaper and has almost the same features than the Impact.

and why you installed the liquid cooling at the front of the case?

why don't you buy the Z170i PRO GAMING, it's cheaper and has almost the same features than the Impact.

1. Presumably yes, otherwise what would be the point in the AIO

2. he's already built it so that's a non-issue now

3. apparently the top can be a bit of an arse thanks to the combined thickness of the Rad and Radiator and the somewhat stiff nature of the tubing.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2016 at 7:29 AM, RGT said:

On 1/28/2016 at 7:43 AM, JebKerman said:

1. Presumably yes, otherwise what would be the point in the AIO

2. he's already built it so that's a non-issue now

3. apparently the top can be a bit of an arse thanks to the combined thickness of the Rad and Radiator and the somewhat stiff nature of the tubing.

I wanted the Impact for a few reasons, mostly because of the features that it had to keep me futureproof, but also because of the high quality of it. And as Jeb said, I did already purchase it, so it's all good! my Cooler was on the front because I wanted things to fit a certain way, and the airflow seems to be better as an intake rather than pulling in hot air from inside the case.

IMG_1107_zpse2pffikb.jpg

I got a video card! I decided to go with the Asus Strix R9 390, as I wanted to be able to have this build "finished" now, rather than waiting for a while longer to get a 980TI as I was thinking. It seems to handle everything at I've thrown at it quite well, so I think it was a good purchase!

IMG_1140_zpsks9zzkek.jpg

IMG_1170_zpsdmnugdfm.jpg

IMG_1172_zpsviqqbr3d.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsn1rrjy90.jpg

Cable sleeving is in the future, but I don't quite know how near that is. I have a plan for it, but I have other things in my sights that are going to chew up budget.

Thanks for looking!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I wrapped the case in 3M matte black, obviously using gloss for the accent stuff. I have a few more small plans for the case, but they may be a ways off too.

On 28/01/2016 at 11:29 PM, RGT said:

Because race car...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

I'd say it should be fine with the 200mm in front and the two 120mm's running in a pull config on the back of the rad.

The only long term issue might be over stressing the 120mm's with over-pressure from the 200mm.

Do you by any chance have the static pressure ratings of the 200mm and 120mm fans?

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

3 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

I'd say it should be fine with the 200mm in front and the two 120mm's running in a pull config on the back of the rad.

The only long term issue might be over stressing the 120mm's with over-pressure from the 200mm.

Do you by any chance have the static pressure ratings of the 200mm and 120mm fans?

I don't off hand, but I ended up keeping the stock Corsair fans, and not going push pull. As you can see, things are tight with the length of the Strix card, so I would have to move the radiator back up to do anything different (and even then, I don't know if it would fit lol)

Just now, TheKingCockroach said:

I don't off hand, but I ended up keeping the stock Corsair fans, and not going push pull. As you can see, things are tight with the length of the Strix card, so I would have to move the radiator back up to do anything different (and even then, I don't know if it would fit lol)

Understood :)

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Hades 1.0

Spoiler