Buy 10Gb ethernet card on ebay for cheap? is it legit?

an other solution would be to use thunderbolt and linux kernel... but I am not sure

I'd say, if you're gonna do it, do it right. Save some money for a switch.

Comb it with a brick

Ok, I just seen the last Linus video about using 4 ethernet cable to quadruple the speed, well that would be anough for me.. but its seem a bit unstable and hard to install, should I stay with 10gb Idea?

I am currently creating a youtube channel, I made Video editing, 3D and some short movie. NO GAMING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConkbPRayP6a8ejnz7K0PTQ/videos

1 hour ago, Olivierroy2202 said:

Ok, I just seen the last Linus video about using 4 ethernet cable to quadruple the speed, well that would be anough for me.. but its seem a bit unstable and hard to install, should I stay with 10gb Idea?

Stay with 10Gb. That video is a joke and Linus should be ashamed of making that. I have two of those Mellanox cards. I bought them together for $14 each. You can get SFP+ transceivers for those cards from Fiberstore for about $17 each and I picked up 80 feet of optical cable for under $20 from Fiberstore as well. When you're shopping for transceivers you'll want SR (short range) tranceivers with LC connectors.

Without any optimization, doing file transfers to a FreeNAS server with SMB, I'm getting around 700-800 MB/s transfers.

Be aware that FreeNAS does NOT support the Mellanox cards. I'm using a Chelsio 310 card that I picked up for about $50 including transceiver in the FreeNAS server. 

2 hours ago, braneopbru said:

Stay with 10Gb. That video is a joke and Linus should be ashamed of making that. I have two of those Mellanox cards. I bought them together for $14 each. You can get SFP+ transceivers for those cards from Fiberstore for about $17 each and I picked up 80 feet of optical cable for under $20 from Fiberstore as well. When you're shopping for transceivers you'll want SR (short range) tranceivers with LC connectors.

Without any optimization, doing file transfers to a FreeNAS server with SMB, I'm getting around 700-800 MB/s transfers.

Be aware that FreeNAS does NOT support the Mellanox cards. I'm using a Chelsio 310 card that I picked up for about $50 including transceiver in the FreeNAS server. 

so  you need the mellanox card plus the chelsio?

I am currently creating a youtube channel, I made Video editing, 3D and some short movie. NO GAMING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConkbPRayP6a8ejnz7K0PTQ/videos

1 minute ago, Olivierroy2202 said:

so  you need the mellanox card plus the chelsio?

No, I use the Mellanox card in a different machine. I use the Chelsio card in the FreeNAS server.

Apparently, there is supposed to be support for the Mellanox cards in the next release of FreeNAS, but I can tell you from experience that as of right now the Chelsio card is just drop it in and fire it up; it worked with zero configuration.

The Mellanox card in Windows 8.1 required downloading drivers from the Mellanox website.

2 hours ago, braneopbru said:

No, I use the Mellanox card in a different machine. I use the Chelsio card in the FreeNAS server.

Apparently, there is supposed to be support for the Mellanox cards in the next release of FreeNAS, but I can tell you from experience that as of right now the Chelsio card is just drop it in and fire it up; it worked with zero configuration.

The Mellanox card in Windows 8.1 required downloading drivers from the Mellanox website.

Ok thx thats help me a lot! 

Also keep in mind that multichannel is a Microsoft SMB 3.0 feature, that will only work with Windows 8+ clients on either side.

Comb it with a brick