4K TV as a secondary display lagging for live streams?

Sephiroth

Hey all,

I recently got a Samsung JS5000, a 50" 4K tv which I've hooked up to my PC to be able to use for additional media (movies/streams/etc). When streaming netflix or youtube videos, or pretty much any pre-recorded content, there is never an issue. However, when I decide to use it to watch streams on twitch.tv (whether the League or other games or the WAN show) or youtube for live stream events there, I am always having issues with the display lagging. It's connected to my 980 via a Display Port to HDMI cable, and the TV itself is supposed to be capable of a 120Hz refresh rate, so especially since I'm not using it as a gaming display I would think that it shouldn't be lagging. Any thoughts on why this happens, and how I might fix it?

Thanks!

-Sephiroth

Hey all,

I recently got a Samsung JS5000, a 50" 4K tv which I've hooked up to my PC to be able to use for additional media (movies/streams/etc). When streaming netflix or youtube videos, or pretty much any pre-recorded content, there is never an issue. However, when I decide to use it to watch streams on twitch.tv (whether the League or other games or the WAN show) or youtube for live stream events there, I am always having issues with the display lagging. It's connected to my 980 via a Display Port to HDMI cable, and the TV itself is supposed to be capable of a 120Hz refresh rate, so especially since I'm not using it as a gaming display I would think that it shouldn't be lagging. Any thoughts on why this happens, and how I might fix it?

Thanks!

-Sephiroth

a 4K 120Hz refresh? I smell something fishy, there's no connecter to drive that as of today for sure and I don't think there is a panel of reasonable price to be put into a TV especially a 50" one

and are you sure it's not your internet bandwith?

does the video lag on your primary display?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Hey all,

Thanks!

-Sephiroth

If you have nvidia experience, uninstall it

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

a 4K 120Hz refresh? I smell something fishy, there's no connecter to drive that as of today for sure and I don't think there is a panel of reasonable price to be put into a TV especially a 50" one

and are you sure it's not your internet bandwith?

does the video lag on your primary display?

You're right, looking closer I swapped samsung's CMR rate (120) with the actual 60Hz of the panel. Still, there's no lag on primary display, and my internet speeds are sittin half-way decent at ~80/12  (a bit slower than normal with the load on the network due to the Northeast snowstorm). As I'm only outputting at best, 1080p from twitch, I've no idea why it seems to lag so frequently. However, I did find that disabling the twitch chat (while not solving the issue entirely) helped considerably

You're right, looking closer I swapped samsung's CMR rate (120) with the actual 60Hz of the panel. Still, there's no lag on primary display, and my internet speeds are sittin half-way decent at ~80/12  (a bit slower than normal with the load on the network due to the Northeast snowstorm). As I'm only outputting at best, 1080p from twitch, I've no idea why it seems to lag so frequently. However, I did find that disabling the twitch chat (while not solving the issue entirely) helped considerably

have you tried diamond coated HDMI Cable yet?

idk.... it sounds weird,

maybe it's a performance issue?

https://youtu.be/tQAtwFFa2QY?t=2m43s

but I suppose you have an i5 or i7 with your 980 right?

What happens if you lower the resolution to 1080p say? Also why do you use a DP to HDMI adapter? Could it be that the HDMI adapter is version 1.4? Why don't you use the native HDMI port on your card?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

have you tried diamond coated HDMI Cable yet?

idk.... it sounds weird,

maybe it's a performance issue?

https://youtu.be/tQAtwFFa2QY?t=2m43s

but I suppose you have an i5 or i7 with your 980 right?

What happens if you lower the resolution to 1080p say? Also why do you use a DP to HDMI adapter? Could it be that the HDMI adapter is version 1.4? Why don't you use the native HDMI port on your card?

Yeah, CPU is the 4790K for this particular machine. There's only 1 native HDMI port on my version of the 980 and it's currently in use for a second monitor, which is why I got the DP to HDMI cable for this. As for lowering the resolution, do you mean of the TV itself? Because the twitch streams I watch are at best 1080p, and more frequently around 720p. It could be that it's an HDMI 1.4, as I do not know whether it came with HDMI 2.0 or not, and have not the box to look it up. Thanks for your recommendations, I shall have to try to find a way to lower the TV's resolution itself, if possible.