corrupt file, can't be removed through command prompt

Go to solution Solved by iced colt,

i booted into startup repair and ran cmd as system then used 'RD /S /Q "(drive letter)\Users\(username)\Desktop and then restart

I've been having a problem with a file on my desktop that is corrupt and needs removing but if i try to right click it explorer crashed and restarts and if i boot into safe mode and try to remove it using command prompt cmd and explorer crash so how would i go around removing the file? if it helps i'm running windows 10 pro and the file is a .wav file with spaces in the name

i really have no idea what is going wrong and need help on this

Have you tried using something like a Ubuntu live CD to get access to your Windows file system and deleting it form there?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

snippity snip

apparently its an audio file?

ill get back to you in a bit

found this

Repair the .Wav File
  • Open your audio-editing software program.

• Open the .wav file you want to repair as a "RAW" file.

• Save the file in the .wav format.

• Close the audio-editing software.

• Play the .wav file to ensure that the repair and conversion was completed.

Reboot into WinRE, run command prompt as Admin then delete it from there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Have you tried using something like a Ubuntu live CD to get access to your Windows file system and deleting it form there?

I haven't tried that but would it work if i try and remove the file using another computer as in a server to access the shared data?

apparently its an audio file?

ill get back to you in a bit

found this

it crashes audacity and fl studio when trying this

it crashes audacity and fl studio when trying this

1. Force delete using Windows

Enter the command prompt (Start-> Run-> Cmd) and enter ‘del /f filename’, where ‘filename’ is the name of the file or files (you can specify multiple files using commas) you want to delete.

1. Force delete using Windows

Enter the command prompt (Start-> Run-> Cmd) and enter ‘del /f filename’, where ‘filename’ is the name of the file or files (you can specify multiple files using commas) you want to delete.

that crashed cmd 

hmm

maybe someone put it there?

or is no one techy enough? (in your house)

im the only techy person in my house

im the only techy person in my house

maybe some one is trying to attack you through your broadband and has put that file there?

im running out of ideas xD

maybe some one is trying to attack you through your broadband and has put that file there?

im running out of ideas xD

i made the file but it corrupted and i can't remove it

It could possibly be that way before you exported the file, that you haven't ran a; chkdsk /f in command prompt for a while to check for corrupt sectors, so possibly as the HDD never got this check, your PC assumed that sector was fine to write to, hence a corrupt file. It's unlikely but is still possible. If this is the case then you might be encountering the start of a slow HDD death. Check your HDD Health with a good program of rating and see if i'm correct about corrupt sectors.

I haven't tried that but would it work if i try and remove the file using another computer as in a server to access the shared data?

No NTFS permissions still stand. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

No NTFS permissions still stand. 

removed desktop folder using another computer and it worked

removed desktop folder using another computer and it worked

Thats really odd... It would suggest that your user did not have permission but the local Admin account on your computer would be able to delete it.

i booted into startup repair and ran cmd as system then used 'RD /S /Q "(drive letter)\Users\(username)\Desktop and then restart

Thats really odd... It would suggest that your user did not have permission but the local Admin account on your computer would be able to delete it.

SYSTEM user has the highest authority and you can access it through startup repair 

SYSTEM user has the highest authority and you can access it through startup repair 

Did you ever try taking ownership of the file? would have done the same thing with less effort :D --- Good you got it sorted though!

Did you ever try taking ownership of the file? would have done the same thing with less effort :D --- Good you got it sorted though!

meh i was already in cmd so i just tried that