Big overhaul

I have decided to do a major overhaul on my computer and upgrade from an i7 2600k to an i7 6700k or non k. That's the problem though, I don't know whether to pay the premium for the overclocking and higher stock clock speed or just go with the non k version. I primarily use my computer for gaming but I also record and stream and edit and 3d render.

Sounds like you're better off getting a 5820K and overclocking it. It'll be better for editing, recording, streaming and rendering.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Depends, if you want to overclock get the k. The ability to overclock and the performance gain outweighs the price premium.

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

You'd probably do just fine without the overclocking feature now but maybe you'll want it later on down the road if you feel like you want some more power or if you feel like tinkering with your system, and the higher stock clock speed and turbo are pretty nice as well.   Think of it as "nice to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

I have decided to do a major overhaul on my computer and upgrade from an i7 2600k to an i7 6700k or non k. That's the problem though, I don't know whether to pay the premium for the overclocking and higher stock clock speed or just go with the non k version. I primarily use my computer for gaming but I also record and stream and edit and 3d render.

give me 5 minutes with your i7-2600K and it will match the performance an i7-6700. (probably with twice the power consumption and heat output though *cough*)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

As @HKZeroFive said the 5820k will be better with your workstation tasks and streaming. I use my 5820k for a lot of 3D rendering as well as other game development tasks. It works fantastic.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz