Best 4K gaming GPU?

ShadowVision452
Go to solution Solved by Memories4K,

Thats the one thing I had to decide on together with what GPU brand I would go with.

I'd like to get a 4K 27" or the 34" equivalent monitor to use and maybe G-Sync (as Nvidia seems to be the way to go) with it too or maybe without.

I have a LG 55" 4K TV I just recently bought as well. I'll be using that more for casual gaming and things and not serious gaming. I'll be getting a smaller display for more serious gaming.

Now I realize that for how close I'll be relative to the screen 4K isn't really seriously needed but would be nice to have a very super clean and smooth image.

For how expensive my build will be, I believe I'll start with my current monitor that I have (BenQ MLG edition of a 1ms LED 1080p monitor I picked up a few years ago, not sure the type of panel it has as it's not with my currently as I type this) then move to buying a 4K after the fire in my wallet settles lol.

I like EVGA, they are an outstanding company with their warranty and customer support.

Were i to get Pascal, i would opt for any of their top-end SSC or Classified cards.

Yeah if you're getting an Nvidia card, i'd say getting G-Sync is the smart way to go.

I was more asking about the refresh rate of the 4K monitor, but quickly realized that 4K @120hz is only just now a thing.

Two 980tis will do you well on 4K, don't even wait for Pascal.

Whatever Pascal's bringing, a single Pascal GPU won't surpass two 980tis and two Pascal GPUs would be a waste on a 4K monitor only able to hit 60Hz.

I know there is a lot of options and setups that can determine the best GPU.

This is a hard question to answer with only one option but I was wondering what would be everyone's pick.

I want to know because I am going to be making a PC build, big project ahead it's not just a simple build, and would like to know what GPU would best set me up for 4K currently and be still useful in the future? My build will be water cooled and my display monitor will be 4K obviously but either a G-Sync or Freesync display to match the GPU picked.

I don't have any budget or restrictions so SLI/Crossfire is also an option.

I believe SLI/Crossfire would be best for getting better performance for the core sucking 4K quality.

Or is waiting for a new GPU architecture the best option and see how they perform with 4K and save the money for now?

Please help!:)

No single GPU is 4K ready.

If you want good 4K, 2x 980 tis in SLI are the only way to go

"If you ain't first, you're last"

either dual 980ti or wait for the new gpus to see what they offer. though i say wait personally

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

I know there is a lot of options and setups that can determine the best GPU.

This is a hard question to answer with only one option but I was wondering what would be everyone's pick.

I want to know because I am going to be making a PC build, big project ahead it's not just a simple build, and would like to know what GPU would best set me up for 4K currently and be still useful in the future? My build will be water cooled and my display monitor will be 4K obviously but either a G-Sync or Freesync display to match the GPU picked.

I don't have any budget or restrictions so SLI/Crossfire is also an option.

I believe SLI/Crossfire would be best for getting better performance for the core sucking 4K quality.

Or is waiting for a new GPU architecture the best option and see how they perform with 4K and save the money for now?

Please help! :)

definetly SLI 660s

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

980ti in SLI

this

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

980Ti. It's really not true that you need to crank up every single setting to enjoy a game. (but I know, some of us have that urge like me which is why I bought 2 390x's for 1440p). However, if you're fine with turning down a couple things, especially AA which you might not even need in some games, an overclocked 980ti will do awesome.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

To me, for the best ever 4k gaming gpu, it has to play any game at max settings in 4k while averaging 60 fps. This does not exist but dual gtx 980 are fine.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Fury Xs in Xfire would give the best performance at 4K if you don't plan to OC but it would probably be best to wait at this point.

Really, Really, wrong. A non blower style 980ti is much faster than a Fury X.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Is Nvidia planning on using HBM vram with their Pascal cards? When is the estimated release date for Pascal or is it not been announced yet?

Really, Really, wrong. A non blower style 980ti is much faster than a Fury X.

The Fury X is slightly faster vs. reference 980ti in some games, but the 980ti completely wipes the floor in other games especially if it's OC'ed, we're talking 15%+ better performance. Pretty sad, but we'll see if the Fury X can overtake the 980ti eventually like the 290x did with the 780ti, but I don't see that happening because drivers are already a lot better and dx12 doesn't make a huge difference for the Fury X.

The Fury X is slightly faster vs. reference 980ti in some games, but the 980ti completely wipes the floor in other games especially if it's OC'ed, we're talking 15%+ better performance. Pretty sad, but we'll see if the Fury X can overtake the 980ti eventually like the 290x did with the 780ti, but I don't see that happening because drivers are already a lot better and dx12 doesn't make a huge difference for the Fury X.

That's exactly why I included the caveat that I wasn't talking about a blower style cooler equipped 980ti. I have a reference 980ti and I can beat a blower style cooler equipped Titan X. Reference is the PCB, not the cooler. BIG difference.

That's exactly why I included the caveat that I wasn't talking about a blower style cooler equipped 980ti. I have a reference 980ti and I can beat a blower style cooler equipped Titan X. Reference is the PCB, not the cooler. BIG difference.

By reference I meant "reference clocks" which a lot of people use to give the Fury X even half a fighting chance. But you are right sir :)

i own a GTX980Ti SC+ ... not sure it's that good for 4K , imo 2 would be more realistic.for a good gaming expérience.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

By reference I meant "reference clocks" which a lot of people use to give the Fury X even half a fighting chance. But you are right sir :)

LOL, I forgot about those. Mine clocked itself to 1366 straight out of the box. Dat boost technology lol!

So two EVGA 980ti's SC 2.0+ 6GB cards in SLI and watercooled to overclock even further possibly would be my best choice?

So two EVGA 980ti's SC 2.0+ 6GB cards in SLI and watercooled to overclock even further possibly would be my best choice?

If you don't want to worry about a custom loop, get two Hybrids.

980Ti. It's really not true that you need to crank up every single setting to enjoy a game. (but I know, some of us have that urge like me which is why I bought 2 390x's for 1440p). However, if you're fine with turning down a couple things, especially AA which you might not even need in some games, an overclocked 980ti will do awesome.

Yeah AA is usually the killer for FPS but with 4K AA isn't necessary as the pixels are so close it harder to notice any blocking. So that'll help with getting every frame possible from the GPU.

If you don't want to worry about a custom loop, get two Hybrids.

I'll be making a computer desk from scratch and building the pc inside with a clear top to see through and look at the hardware. I'll be custom watercooling it all.

GTX 980ti or a Titan X or 2 way sli 980tis

Custom water cooled EVGA SC 2.0+ 980Tis in SLI is the best performance available for 4K?