Changing CPU

So first off, I know absolutely nothing about pcs or anything, I just enjoy gaming. 

So most games recommend a core i5 for the minimum req, and right now my computer has a core i3. So to get a better CPU all I have to do is buy a random core i5 cpu?

You will need to buy an i5 that will fit the socket that you currently have but one of the newer i5s would be better ofc.

So to get a better CPU all I have to do is buy a random core i5 cpu?

No. 

You need to know what socket your motherboard has.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

We need more information

What motherboard are you using? 

Is it a laptop? Is it a desktop?

Do you have thermal paste available? 

You first off have to make sure it's compatible with the socket on your motherboard. You cannot mix and match them unfortunately. First find out what you have and buy accordingly.

Also when buying a cpu there are some features which you might benefit from and some you won't. So you could overpay for something you don't necessary need.

it has to fit your socket and your power supply needs enough wattage to power that and a new gpu. so if you're running an i3 4160 any other intel desktop cpu with a 4 at the start of it will work until the 4790k. the models with numbers above that are ivybridge i think.

It seems like you have a prebuilt PC with a second gen CPU. If you would like to upgrade your CPU then get something like an i5 2400 or i5 2500 however because of how old that socket is those chips are only available second hand.

i5 2500k if you can find it

no that is a waste of a 2500k, it's a dell 

http://imgur.com/a/xoXGy Here's the specs

you want an i5 2500 or 2400

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

no that is a waste of a 2500k, it's a dell you want an i5 2500 or 2400

sorry that was the best cpu for that socket

it has to fit your socket and your power supply needs enough wattage to power that and a new gpu. so if you're running an i3 4160 any other intel desktop cpu with a 4 at the start of it will work until the 4790k. the models with numbers above that are ivybridge i think.

4000s are Haswell, Ivy Bridge (3000s) came before Haswell. 5000s are Broadwell. 6000s are Skylake.

Haswell and Broadwell are pin compatible on LGA1150, Ivy Bridge is LGA1155, and Skylake is LGA1151.