What are the major difference between the Blue microphones Snowball and Yeti? (Not pro)

lkarej

Hello I am in need of a new mic and right now the choices are the blue microphones Yeti and Snowball.

On Amazon right now the Blackout Yeti is available for about 30 CAD more than the snowball.

I'm just wondering if it's a significant upgrade for 30$

Thanks for any help you can provide!

:^)

I make bad life decisions.

Cardioid and varying pickup patterns on the Yeti.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

i think they are completely different. Yeti supports all kind of different recording modes and snowball doesnt.

If you are just using it for voice chatting then get the snowball i'D say

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I know you have narrowed it down to those two blue mics but you may want to take a look at the CAD U37.  I bought it off of amazon.ca for around the same price with a cheap boom and pop filter.

Cardioid and varying pickup patterns on the Yeti.

mk

i think they are completely different. Yeti supports all kind of different recording modes and snowball doesnt.

If you are just using it for voice chatting then get the snowball i'D say

youtube and voicechat.

And I need a mic that supports pickup from all angles.

mk

youtube and voicechat.

And I need a mic that supports pickup from all angles.

Get the Yeti. The difference is profound.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I agree that the Yeti is a significant upgrade over the Snowball, but I think the posts here are giving the misleading impression that the Snowball is capable of only one directionality when it is actually capable of two: both cardioid and omnidirectional. I'm curious, why do you need it to be omnidirectional if you're doing vocal work?

I agree that the Yeti is a significant upgrade over the Snowball, but I think the posts here are giving the misleading impression that the Snowball is capable of only one directionality when it is actually capable of two: both cardioid and omnidirectional. I'm curious, why do you need it to be omnidirectional if you're doing vocal work?

My desk is setup in such a way that I can't have the mic infront of me. It would have to be off to the side by my right side.

I may have misunderstood what "omnidirectional" means in the given context though. The way I understand it omnidirectional means it picks up equally from all directions.

EDIT: After a bit of looking I've found a place where I could put the mic in front me (behind the keyboard under the monitor), but the snowball wouldn't fit there, the yeti however would.

My desk is setup in such a way that I can't have the mic infront of me. It would have to be off to the side by my right side.

I may have misunderstood what "omnidirectional" means in the given context though. The way I understand it omnidirectional means it picks up equally from all directions.

EDIT: After a bit of looking I've found a place where I could put the mic in front me (behind the keyboard under the monitor), but the snowball wouldn't fit there, the yeti however would.

That understanding is correct. A cardioid microphone is most sensitive at its front and less sensitive at its sides and back. My cardioid Samson Meteor, however, can pick up my voice quite clearly even at an angle of 90 degrees from the direction of my head. There's just a volume drop, but medium-diaphragm condensers like the Snowball and Yeti should have enough juice. 

That understanding is correct. A cardioid microphone is most sensitive at its front and less sensitive at its sides and back. My cardioid Samson Meteor, however, can pick up my voice quite clearly even at an angle of 90 degrees from the direction of my head. There's just a volume drop, but medium-diaphragm condensers like the Snowball and Yeti should have enough juice. 

If I put it behind my keyboard it would pick that up too thought wouldn't it?

So putting it to my right would probably be the best option then?

If I put it behind my keyboard it would pick that up too thought wouldn't it?

So putting it to my right would probably be the best option then?

Yes. Keyboard sounds are quite overpowering when the microphone is less than one foot away from your keyboard :P  If you're concerned about keyboard noise then you probably don't want an omnidirectional pattern. Cardioid will reject the keyboard noise more well. 

Yes. Keyboard sounds are quite overpowering when the microphone is less than one foot away from your keyboard :P  If you're concerned about keyboard noise then you probably don't want an omnidirectional pattern. Cardioid will reject the keyboard noise more well. 

Well I have orings on my keyboard and it's good to have options available right :P

Ok I'm ordering the yeti right now (along with a 10$ pop filter)

Should fit my needs fine.