More RAM VS. Faster RAM

whud99
Go to solution Solved by Taswell,

More Ram = Better Ram

So in my current build plan I have 70$ left in the budget for ram and I wanted to know if it would be more advantages to get Faster RAM or More RAM

My plans are to manly use the build for gaming but I do every now and then do some Photoshop and digital drawing, nothing at the scale where I think I would run into capping but I never know. 

I know that 99% of the time that extra ram will just be sitting there doing nothing but will I really notice any boost from 2400 to 3466 speeds ? While with extra ram I will sometimes maybe notice it while working on projects here and there.

Thanks for any help !

More Ram = Better Ram

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

I would always go for more ram

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

If you choose faster ram you are not choosing the right thing.

1000000% more ram, linus did a vid on ram speeds and it resulted in 1-2fps difference....

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

More RAM, also has less single points of failure, last thing you would want is to buy a module of fast as fuck RAM and then have it fail on you leaving you with a disfunctional PC

Definitely go with the 16 GB over faster 8 GB.  16 GB is starting to make a difference in some games, and if you are doing anything else it could be useful.  Bottom line is it will actually be of use to you where as the higher speed will make like no difference at all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If more RAM is the better option is there even any point in DDR4 RAM?

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Well eventually it will be the standard just as DDR3 replaces DDR2.  Also better compatibility with the Skylake and later CPUs since they are designed to give out only the lower voltages DDR4 expects

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

More RAM, also has less single points of failure, last thing you would want is to buy a module of fast as fuck RAM and then have it fail on you leaving you with a disfunctional PC

If you choose faster ram you are not choosing the right thing.

1000000% more ram, linus did a vid on ram speeds and it resulted in 1-2fps difference....

I would always go for more ram

Personally, more RAM. Faster RAM at the moment isn't worth an expensive ass price tag.

Personally, more RAM. Faster RAM at the moment isn't worth an expensive ass price tag.

More Ram = Better Ram

Thanks ! that's what I was planning on doing but I decided to just make a quick post to make sure I'm making the right decision.  

There is not. At least for normal users. They are like quadros - they exist, they are expensive but normal user can't take any advantage of them. The same goes with DDR4, unless you're running RAM-CPU heavy tasks, nobody will see the difference. But, they are nice, new, enthusiasts will enjoy.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

Well eventually it will be the standard just as DDR3 replaces DDR2.  Also better compatibility with the Skylake and later CPUs since they are designed to give out only the lower voltages DDR4 expects

How Slow do you have to go before you would notice a difference between 8 and 16 gig like what If i had 64 gig of DDR-333 and 8 gig of DDR4-4200 

How Slow do you have to go before you would notice a difference between 8 and 16 gig like what If i had 64 gig of DDR-333 and 8 gig of DDR4-4200 

well yes that would be quite noticeable, but if we limit ourselves to realistic comparisons (DDR3 1600 and up & DDR4 2133 and up, since those are both common minimum speeds) you can find plenty of youtube videos testing different combinations and you'll see that the fps difference is well under 5 in all cases, and in fact sometimes you get very counter-intuitive answers, where faster memory actually gets a lower fps.  This can be (among other things) as a result of differences in the latency as well, which is as important a factor as the frequency.