Ping on wifi WAY more.

PampaZiya

The router is just next to me, 1m away, when I play league on WIFI I get 250 ping... up to 400 sometimes.

When I connect my laptop to router using ethernet cable, it's 105 maximum.

Any idea?

You must have just a really weak router. Wifi in my house just downstairs from the router is almost tripple the Ethernet, and that's at 300Down and 200Up speeds.

Can you post the image you can share with speedtest.net?

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Can you post the image you can share with speedtest.net?

There is no difference between ethernet cable or wifi on speedtest.net, only in game

There is no difference between ethernet cable or wifi on speedtest.net, only in game

Try their pingtester. Its bit better for pure ping than just getting dl/ul speeds.The way ping is calculated, its combined time signal takes to make from server to you and back. Older Wifi, like G standard is problem for online gaming. N or better is much better. But both router and laptop must support it. Also, if your router can use 5GHz, use it. There is less interference.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Try their pingtester. Its bit better for pure ping than just getting dl/ul speeds.The way ping is calculated, its combined time signal takes to make from server to you and back. Older Wifi, like G standard is problem for online gaming. N or better is much better. But both router and laptop must support it. Also, if your router can use 5GHz, use it. There is less interference.

I know what's ping. That's what makes me so confused. The router is JUST next tome, like 1m only.. It's a TP-LINK Wireless N Router so it's a N standard. How do I know if the laptop supports it?

I know what's ping. That's what makes me so confused. The router is JUST next tome, like 1m only.. It's a TP-LINK Wireless N Router so it's a N standard. How do I know if the laptop supports it?

From laptops product page. That would be easiest. Or google wifi adapters product number. If its fairly new, it will be N (lets say 3 years). I've had this also when using G standard laptop. Now with N standard and 5GHz its much better but I need to check pings. I know my dl speeds are about same.

If you can get router using 5GHz, do it. Interference can also cause pings to jump around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

From laptops product page. That would be easiest. Or google wifi adapters product number. If its fairly new, it will be N (lets say 3 years). I've had this also when using G standard laptop. Now with N standard and 5GHz its much better but I need to check pings. I know my dl speeds are about same.

If you can get router using 5GHz, do it. Interference can also cause pings to jump around.

My laptop is fairly new ASUS ROG G551JM. 

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Maybe something in properties I can change? 

Also how do I check if the router has 5GHZ? I doubt it but is it in the admin page?

My laptop is fairly new ASUS ROG G551JM. 

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Maybe something in properties I can change? 

Also how do I check if the router has 5GHZ? I doubt it but is it in the admin page?

I'm not sure if you can make signal any better with settings. 5GHz is under some network/wireless setting in routers admin panel. Your laptop can connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (called dual band) so thats not issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So on my home network (100/100) and using PingTest I get 36ms (Turku, FI <-> Frankfurt, DE) on desktop. In game that is usually same. On my brand new Lenovo U41-70 with AC (one notch over N) and 5GHz same server gives 51ms. While 2.4GHz gives 54ms. So in the end using higher freq doesn't do that much. But wifi is still worse than ethernet.

I'm sorry, but thats limit of my skills in this matter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv