Web Hosting

Hi there. This summer I have plans to create a business which works with other small business to create websites for their businesses. I'm not going to be local hosting. I think that my partner and I have chosen Linode as our server host. I have two questions. My package will have 2GB of ram, 48 GB of storage, 40Gpbs in and 250Mpbs out. Is two gigabytes of ram enough to support say 10 websites running simultaneously? Finally, 250Mpbs out sounds low to me, or am I just crazy?

Thanks

Hi there. This summer I have plans to create a business which works with other small business to create websites for their businesses. I'm not going to be local hosting. I think that my partner and I have chosen Linode as our server host. I have two questions. My package will have 2GB of ram, 48 GB of storage, 40Gpbs in and 250Mpbs out. Is two gigabytes of ram enough to support say 10 websites running simultaneously? Finally, 250Mpbs out sounds low to me, or am I just crazy?

Thanks

It really depends. Depends for everything.

It's not a matter of how many websites you're running (only the storage, but 48 GB isn't really a limiting factor), just how many people are visiting your website. (both RAM and throughput-wise)

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

As @kichilron said, it matters more about your expected traffic levels than anything and your host should be able to tell you approximately how much traffic that the service can handle if you ask them.

What platform are you running your websites on. If it is all PHP with countless database queries you will see a slowdown.

Also I recommend seting up two servers, one as a backup. I use digitalocean and have a good server and then a cheap one just incase.