Help: Motherboard Brand

Hey there,

In choosing a motherboard for your system, keeping in mind i don't plan on overclocking and i will be using the system for 3D and 2D applications and also gaming(not in ultra settings). Which one should i go for.

The Z170, H170 or Q170.

And what manufacturer should i go for, ASUS,MSI or Gigabyte.

Thanks in advance.

Keep it simple.

Hey there,

In choosing a motherboard for your system, keeping in mind i don't plan on overclocking and i will be using the system for 3D and 2D applications and also gaming(not in ultra settings). Which one should i go for.

The Z170, H170 or Q170.

And what manufacturer should i go for, ASUS,MSI or Gigabyte.

Thanks in advance.

H170 is cheaper than Z170 (This one is certified for overclocking). I know nothing about Q170. Any of those manufacturers are good.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I like MSI, what CPU do you have?

Even if you have a locked CPU a MSI Z170 PC MATE can still over lock if you ever decide to. It can gain upwards of 10FPS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Asus is excellent if you don't get a DOA board or have an issue, then their customer support will make you wish for death.  MSI is excellent, and they have pretty decent customer support, and you don't have to pay as much of a premium as you would with Asus.  Gigabyte is great, good component, bad customer support like with Asus, and not so much of an intuitive bios layout, but manageable.

I personally lean to MSI and ASRock in most of my own cases.  Z170 if you're overclocking or think to overclock in the future.

Asus is excellent if you don't get a DOA board or have an issue, then their customer support will make you wish for death.  MSI is excellent, and they have pretty decent customer support, and you don't have to pay as much of a premium as you would with Asus.  Gigabyte is great, good component, bad customer support like with Asus, and not so much of an intuitive bios layout, but manageable.

I personally lean to MSI and ASRock in most of my own cases.  Z170 if you're overclocking or think to overclock in the future.

Really? I always thought the Asus support was decent and MSI would make you want to rip your hair out. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Really? I always thought the Asus support was decent and MSI would make you want to rip your hair out. 

As of the last few years it's the opposite.  Asus customer support, warranty claims, and all will make you wish you never bought them.  If the product works - Asus is top notch, but oh, god.. when it fails.  The nightmare stories and experiences.  Asus in general seems to have gone down in quality the last few years.  Many of their motherboard series and monitors are having mass QC/QA issues, but it still stands firm; if it works, it's golden - unless it fails six months later.  I personally hope they can make an auto-extreme manufacturing system for their motherboards.  Should bring about some incredible reliability like with their GPU lines.

As of the last few years it's the opposite.  Asus customer support, warranty claims, and all will make you wish you never bought them.  If the product works - Asus is top notch, but oh, god.. when it fails.  The nightmare stories and experiences.  Asus in general seems to have gone down in quality the last few years.  Many of their motherboard series and monitors are having mass QC/QA issues, but it still stands firm; if it works, it's golden - unless it fails six months later.  I personally hope they can make an auto-extreme manufacturing system for their motherboards.  Should bring about some incredible reliability like with their GPU lines.

Yeah, I've had good luck with MSI. I never bought Asus because of the price. Monitor issues= Backlight bleed on PG279Q (Read the Newegg reviews)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Asus/MSI, and Z170 if your chip is unlocked, otherwise H170.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Asus/MSI, and Z170 if your chip is unlocked, otherwise H170.

I'll be using Intel 6600 non K.

Keep it simple.

The H170 would be fine for what your doing

Duly noted. Thanks.

Keep it simple.

I'm going to use Intel 6600 non K

Keep it simple.

I'll be using Intel 6600 non K.

H170. Asus/MSI. In fact, you can overclock if you go Asrock/MSI Z170, even though you have a locked chip.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I like MSI, what CPU do you have?

Even if you have a locked CPU a MSI Z170 PC MATE can still over lock if you ever decide to. It can gain upwards of 10FPS

Intel 6600 non K. And FPS doesn't really matter to me. But still thanks for the advice. :)

Keep it simple.

H170 is cheaper than Z170 (This one is certified for overclocking). I know nothing about Q170. Any of those manufacturers are good.

I was looking at H170 Gaming 3. That's a good deal if i ain't overcloking.

Keep it simple.

Personally I would go with MSI, that's just me.

Gigabyte Ultra durable boards? How about them?

Keep it simple.

Great quality, but their bios and uefi could use a little bit more work, still a solid choice.

But they still work right? I'm cool with that. :)

Keep it simple.