Samsung Galaxy S3 Using up a bunch of Memory

My Samsung Galaxy s3 is using up a bunch of ram even though there are no apps running. I downloaded android task killer and stopped all the apps i could, yet I still only had around 400MB free of the 1.5gb on the device! If anyone has some tips, or could tell me if this is just happening to me that would be nice. The phone heats up easily and lags on games like temple run so I am feeling very disappointed in it. My brother has a nexus 4 and it does not lag or heat up as easily, so idk.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

My brother has an s3. he can run dead trigger fine, it heats up but that is a lot of ram usage. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My Samsung Galaxy s3 is using up a bunch of ram even though there are no apps running. I downloaded android task killer and stopped all the apps i could, yet I still only had around 400MB free of the 1.5gb on the device! If anyone has some tips, or could tell me if this is just happening to me that would be nice. The phone heats up easily and lags on games like temple run so I am feeling very disappointed in it. My brother has a nexus 4 and it does not lag or heat up as easily, so idk.

Us tech folks get confused by the RAM stuff on Android. Since we care so much about the device running smoothly and nicely etc.However,we need the remember that Android has it all sorted, we van look at the RAM usaga and say that that is a lot of RAM. But all in all, it has got your back and you don't have to worry about it. If it runs out of memory, it will create something called virtual memory, which uses a bit of dedicated phone storage to function properly.

I would recommend not worrying about it. If your techie instincts get the better of you, then just get a task killer [i would recommend Advanced Task Killer] and then set auto kill on medium or low.

Compatible with Windows 95

Us tech folks get confused by the RAM stuff on Android. Since we care so much about the device running smoothly and nicely etc.However,we need the remember that Android has it all sorted, we van look at the RAM usaga and say that that is a lot of RAM. But all in all, it has got your back and you don't have to worry about it. If it runs out of memory, it will create something called virtual memory, which uses a bit of dedicated phone storage to function properly.

I would recommend not worrying about it. If your techie instincts get the better of you, then just get a task killer [i would recommend Advanced Task Killer] and then set auto kill on medium or low.

lol k thanks, i will just turn off my instincts when it comes to that :P. THanks for the help!

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

† TTCF Member †

My brother has an s3. he can run dead trigger fine, it heats up but that is a lot of ram usage. 

interesting...

† TTCF Member †

interesting...

Sorry, im running on 30hours without sleep. Anyways my point is that you are using more ram then you should be. the phone will get hot as the total power draw increases. Remember its basically makes your hand a heat sink to cool the phone as its just a naked chip.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

maybe do a backup and then restore to factory default if the issue remains?

but idk if there is a way to backup without root.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I would say it's some app running in the background that is taking up the ram. Are you using any sort of home screen, launcher or lock screen app? My factory S3 right now with all my personal apps running, everything closed has 800MB free.

Go to settings > Application Manager > Swipe over to Running

There you will be able to see all the processes running in the background and can force stop some to free up any ram. The highest ram usage on mine is Swiftkey and Facebook at 35+

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Filling up the RAM is not a problem. It is good for the phone since it keeps things running faster. Only when the RAM maxes out at 100% there is a problem.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I have a Samsung S3 and out of the 832MB RAM its at 612MB, I can run any of my games no problem's, you might have power Saving off that could make the phone when playing games as its using all its CPU power.  Remember some free android app's like games are great but will give ad's, when playing games switch off the wifi/network but then you can't receive emails/texts and phone call's.

Smart phones these day's are small portable computers so when tho your not doing anything, the phone will be running many app's in the background like a laptop or desktop computer would be doing.

Cry Havoc!