Overclocked CPU passes Stresstest but performs bad?

im overclocking my build and benchmarking the last weeks and i dont if it is like a placebo but i feel in games the cpu is performing worse sometimes than with a lower oc.

im on a rampage v extreme, gskill 2400 32gb ram and a i7 5820k

im able to run 4.5ghz at 1.2vcore, xmp enabled and everything else untouched except max cache multiplier set to 30 (default) instead of auto. if set to auto i need 1.3vcore to pass realbench/aida/XTU.

im doing this for the past weeks like a few hours a day. ive tried sooo much settings, vccin/vccsa/ xmp enabled, disabled. i can get 4.7ghz stable at 1.325v using 1.923vccin and 1.05vccsa (uncore untouched) temps never go past 80 degrees Celcius.

is it possible for a cpu to perform worse because the voltage settings are not "perfect" ? i have observed this when overclocking ram in the past. it passes hci memtest/memtest86 but bandwith is like 10k worse than with a voltage increase of lets say 0.100v.    

im going crazy over this because i just want my system to run perfect. in every scenario i say the cpu passes realbench for at least 6hours.

while ingame in an mmo and im turning arround sometimes the fps drops -30/40 fps, with some other configuration not (mostly just votlage, at least thats how i feel, could be placebo but i dont know) my GPU benchmarks are fine (980ti msi 6g gaming)

cpu benchmarks are fine too, they get better when i increase the frequency but i feel like ingame its not.

so, is this possible or not? :D

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

is it possible for a cpu to perform worse because the voltage settings are not "perfect" ? i have observed this when overclocking ram in the past. it passes hci memtest/memtest86 but bandwith is like 10k worse than with a voltage increase of lets say 0.100v.    

Yes thats possible but then you would get BSOD during the stresstest. Did you use prime95 and did you check temperatures?

yes ive used several prime (27.9) custom runs like 1344k and 488k / 864k and it passes everything without a BSOD (of course i had some while trying but with the current settings it passed everything ive thrown at it yet)

temps are fine and are never going past 80C (usually theyre around 65-75C) im on a EK Predator 360 with a second 280 Radiator, 25C ambient temperatur)

thats why im asking :)

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

try firestrike and see if ti's a placebo or not

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

try firestrike and see if ti's a placebo or not

well , my firestrike scores are right i guess, its 18000 +/- 500

20500ish graphicsscore and 17500ish physicscore. but dat feeling ingame..maybe im just crazy  :blink:

Fire Strike Score

well , my firestrike scores are right i guess, its 18000 +/- 500

20500ish graphicsscore and 17500ish physicscore. but dat feeling ingame..maybe im just crazy  :blink:

well I know that feel my GTA V gets crazy frames and I have to use Vsync to avoid tearing

usually tearing hasn't impacted me but in the GTA V it's horrible while driving because the car is always in the bottom half of the screen just below the line where tearing happens and the car is constantly skipping like 3 frames and I get this feeling that the car is going back and forth all the time, it's driving me nuts

before I understood what's happening I tought that I am actually having too low framerate or that I get stuttering because of crossfire but it all turned out to be tearing that never ever bothered me in any other game

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

im using a gsync monitor (pg279q) and was going crazy over this too, its my second gsync monitor so im not new to gsync. but the current state of nvidias drivers and windows 10 gave me a headache too.. lol. but i guess everything is right, ill keep tweaking tho :)

Fire Strike Score

im using a gsync monitor (pg279q) and was going crazy over this too, its my second gsync monitor so im not new to gsync. but the current state of nvidias drivers and windows 10 gave me a headache too.. lol. but i guess everything is right, ill keep tweaking tho :)

btw can you monitor the CPU cores with something like HWMonitor to see if it's boosting to turbo frequencies or maybe it enters low power mode when you are in your MMO

nah, tried with different power saving settings and intel speedstep disabled, enabled.. (its not like i have low fps, its lowest is propably 80fps, but im so used to 144fps+ that it almost looks like its laggy.) and i was soo sure that i sometimes in the same situation had better performance, but i think its a placebo :D

Fire Strike Score

found the cause of my problem. it was my samsung 950 pro overheating/throttling. was damn sure it was no placebo xD benchmarks where fine (theyre installed on my 850 pro lol..)

Fire Strike Score