Looking for a new HDD!

james12315

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new HDD for my PC. Here is my current storage setup:

• 240GB SSD (With windows and some programs) Half full
  • 120GB SSD (With OS X Hackintosh) Unused
  • 2TB HDD (Programs) Nearly Full

I am looking for a new HDD as my 2tb is filling up quick. What would you guys recommend getting? and how much storage?

Any advice is appreciated!

what is going to be stored on it?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Probably just games (Around 500gb total + more in the future)

if you want good load times for games in stuff, I suggest a WD Black

but for general storage and decent load times a 3TB WD blue is a pretty good one 

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

if you want good load times for games in stuff, I suggest a WD Black

but for general storage and decent load times a 3TB WD blue is a pretty good one 

I will probably get a 1tb WD Black or 2tb WD Blue, as I don't have too much money at the moment. Which would be better? or should I wait until I have more money?

I will probably get a 1tb WD Black or 2tb WD Blue, as I don't have too much money at the moment. Which would be better? or should I wait until I have more money?

if your going to be playing games with long load times all the time on the HDD, get the black, if not, the blue will do fine and give you a lot of storage.

~snip~

Hey there james12315,

@suchamoneypit pretty much summarized it for you. Since you are storing games on the drive you should know that gaming relies on the storage's performance solely for the loading times while FPS and graphics are not affected at all. WD Black might be a bit overkill since you are on a budget. I would recommend checking out WD Blue and WD Green as viable solutions :) Here's more info on them:

Feel free to ask if you have any additional questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there james12315,

@suchamoneypit pretty much summarized it for you. Since you are storing games on the drive you should know that gaming relies on the storage's performance solely for the loading times while FPS and graphics are not affected at all. WD Black might be a bit overkill since you are on a budget. I would recommend checking out WD Blue and WD Green as viable solutions :) Here's more info on them:

Captain_WD.

Ok thanks :)

Hey there james12315,

Captain_WD.

A question I have is. What is the best way of migrating game files from one HDD to another? (Steam Games)

~snip~

Moving games on that platform is rather easy as you can simply copy/paste them and then configure the paths to those games. this official KB should be useful: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/