Video card temperature went up after upgrade?

online_olympian

I have just upgraded from a i5-3470 to a xeon e5-2670. in the process I went from a stock cooler on the i5 to a evo 212 and the problem i having is my 780ti is now hitting its thermal wall at 83-84c even with my custom fan profile. on the i5 I never crested 75c. the only difference is now there is no downfiring cpu cooler that may have been blowing on the back of the card. I am running a phantek entho case with the evo exhausting out the back. 2 140 mm fans on the top blowing down, 2 120 mm fans inside on the hard drive cage and the 200mm in the front as an intake. My question is, should i turn my 212 evo downwards to blow on the back of the card? since I will not be overclocking the xeon at all. it sits at like 35c under full load. Thanks for your help!

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

I would change the fan config. I would put the 2 140mm fans in the front as intake, the 2 120mm fans in the top as exhaust, and the 200mm fan as another intake if you can find the space for it. 

I would change the fan config. I would put the 2 140mm fans in the front as intake, the 2 120mm fans in the top as exhaust, and the 200mm fan as another intake if you can find the space for it. 

This ^^

@online_olympian

You only have intake fans, meaning it'll most likely have hot air remaining in the case.

I do have the 140mm in the rear exhausting.

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

and a 120mm under the shroud next to the powersupply exhausting as well as a 4th 120mm in the top front exhausting. shoulda clarified.

and a 120mm under the shroud next to the powersupply exhausting as well as a 4th 120mm in the top front exhausting. shoulda clarified.

Can you post pic or drawing? That sounds really messed airflow. You have front intake, top front exhaust, top middle and rear intake, rear exhaust and one exhaust in place where I wouldn't even put any fan.

What I would do is have 2x140mm in front intake. 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust. If you aren't happy with temps or would like to have more fans, 1 top from intake would do. Just have some cap between top intake and exhaust. Actually, I would also try with Evo exhausting towards top. Unlike most people think, it doesn't have huge effect on CPU temps and might even cool GPUs backplate more. In that situatio, all or 2 top fans would be exhaust and rear could be intake to aid CPU cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can you post pic or drawing? That sounds really messed airflow. You have front intake, top front exhaust, top middle and rear intake, rear exhaust and one exhaust in place where I wouldn't even put any fan.

What I would do is have 2x140mm in front intake. 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust. If you aren't happy with temps or would like to have more fans, 1 top from intake would do. Just have some cap between top intake and exhaust. Actually, I would also try with Evo exhausting towards top. Unlike most people think, it doesn't have huge effect on CPU temps and might even cool GPUs backplate more. In that situatio, all or 2 top fans would be exhaust and rear could be intake to aid CPU cooler.

haha, yes, you have that correct. I had bought the 4 120mm as a package deal so i was putting them anywhere they would fit. I don't want to put my 140s in front as I have spent money on an upgraded 200mm lighted fan. You think I should ditch the powersupply fan? Change the 2 top 140s to exhaust to match the rear 140? I was thinking changing my cpu cooler to facing out the top as well. Thanks for your help!

haha, yes, you have that correct. I had bought the 4 120mm as a package deal so i was putting them anywhere they would fit. I don't want to put my 140s in front as I have spent money on an upgraded 200mm lighted fan. You think I should ditch the powersupply fan? Change the 2 top 140s to exhaust to match the rear 140? I was thinking changing my cpu cooler to facing out the top as well. Thanks for your help!

I don't have the case nor seen it live. From pics it looks like fan near PSU isn't doing much. If you have HDDs or SSDs down there, then using that as intake would help bit. But other than that I don't see any point having it there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv