Router frequently losing connection - time for a new router?

Foontas

My current router - a Linksys WRT610N connected to the ISP's cable modem (Motorola surfboard SB5100i) - seems to lose internet connection frequently and I have to manually renew the IP address via the web gui or power cycle the modem.

I'm on the verge of replacing the router with something else.

Do I replace the modem, router or both?

We are a family of 4 and we have about 16 WiFi devices at any one time.

Reception is pretty good with the current router located in the rough centre of the house, except for the furthest room from the router where it is a bit spotty.

ISP is Telstra cable in Australia.

Linus' strong recommendation of the xclaim xi3 is tempting but I'm not sure if I'll also need a new router as well (if it is the router that is at fault here).

Thanks for reading!

Nice, I have the same router and It's done good for me the past 5 years (I think it's been that long) this is usually a sign of a failing router though, most likely you'll have to get something new

I'd say this is more of a modem issue than the router. I'm with Optus cable and there was a period of time when I was experiencing a similar issue. Eventually Optus put in an attenuator for the cable which helped.

Perhaps try logging into the modem web UI and see if it has lost the connection there rather than the router the next time you have a disconnection. If so I'd ring up Telstra first to see if they could do anything because if you are to get a replacement modem, you have to get them from the ISP as they aren't sold as retail products in Australia.

Perhaps try logging into the modem web UI 

We've had this motorola surfboard for as long as I can remember (that's an exaggeration, more like 15 years). I don't think there is a web gui.

If not, please help?

If it's the WRT610N's WAN IP that's needs to be renewed, It's the modem not giving an IP to the router. If you want to be certain, directly wire a PC to the modem and observe if the issue happens there too.

Check the attenuation and SNR values of the modem to determine if it's just the ISP and not the modem itself.

Info on good values for attenuation: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-considered-good-dsl-line-attenuation-371

Info on good SNR values and others: http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cable-modem-signal-levels-are-considered-good-78

We've had this motorola surfboard for as long as I can remember (that's an exaggeration, more like 15 years). I don't think there is a web gui.

If not, please help?

On our old Surfboard that we got in 2006, you could access the web GUI using 192.168.100.1. Perhaps give it a try?

Sweet! that's given me access!

Signal values are good:

SNR 36dB

Downstream Power level -1dBmV

Upstream Power level 48 dBmV

On another note, there is an option (already selected) for DHCP server.

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

Does that mean (If I wanted to and/or it is determined that the router is the problem) I can connect an xclaim xi3 directly to the modem and be safe with less than 32 users?

Sweet! that's given me access!

Signal values are good:

SNR 36dB

Downstream Power level -1dBmV

Upstream Power level 48 dBmV

Does that mean (If I wanted to and/or it is determined that the router is the problem) I can connect an xclaim xi3 directly to the modem and be safe with less than 32 users?

what firmware you got on that router? ddwrt?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Stock firmware on the WRT610N:

Firmware Version: 2.00.00 B05

Surfboard Modem

Software Version: SB5100-2.3.1.6-SCM01-NOSH

I wouldn't do that. Not exactly necessary anyway.