How to control PWM fans on motherboard to achieve greater silence.

DiegoWithLag
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

how do i check?

or how do i switch to pwm controls?

It should be within the BIOS under Hardware monitor if I remember, that should also allow for temperature based fan curves to be set in there among other things.

I have the MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard and I got the H100i GTX. To not deal with Corsair link, I plugged the SP120 fans to the motherboard, it has PWM (apparently since it has 4 pin headers) and I can controll the speeds and stuff but I cant get it lower than 50% of speed. Apparently because they are plugged in to Sys FAN they cant go lower than 50%. Do i need to change the fan control type on my BIOS? Or how  can i get my fans to be as silent as possible?

I have the MSI z97 gaming 5 motherboard and I got the H100i GTX. To not deal with Corsair link, I plugged the SP120 fans to the motherboard, it has PWM (apparently since it has 4 pin headers) and I can controll the speeds and stuff but I cant get it lower than 50% of speed. Apparently because they are plugged in to Sys FAN they cant go lower than 50%. Do i need to change the fan control type on my BIOS? Or how  can i get my fans to be as silent as possible?

Make sure in the BIOS that the headers those fans are on are set to PWM based control and not DC voltage control, if they are you should be able to get more lower end control. MSI Command Center should allow you to do all of that and set temperature based fan curves also.

You could ghetto undervolt them with a molex connector  :D

i totally don't do this in my computer

I think trying what @W-L suggested is a better idea to start, and if that doesn't work, then try the ghetto way.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Make sure in the BIOS that the headers those fans are on are set to PWM based control and not DC voltage control, if they are you should be able to get more lower end control. MSI Command Center should allow you to do all of that and set temperature based fan curves also.

how do i check?

You could ghetto undervolt them with a molex connector  :D

i totally don't do this in my computer

I think trying what @W-L suggested is a better idea to start, and if that doesn't work, then try the ghetto way.

ok

how do i check?

It should be within the BIOS under Hardware monitor if I remember, that should also allow for temperature based fan curves to be set in there among other things.

I DID IT.

i only needed to connect the fans to cpu fan headers! now they are whisper quiet!