First build, motherboard help and opinions

Hey everyone. I've finally got myself a unionized job after being stuck at minimum wage forever. Haven't had a home computer in close to a decade, so I've decided to build my dream rig.

Need your help though. The computer is intended for gaming at max settings on 1440p at as close to 100 fps as possible, graphic design, small scale video editing, and possibly self teaching 3d animation for producing short films. Again, small scale personal art, not work.

Where I'm having trouble is making sure it is prepared for upgrades in the medium term.

I want to be able to add in a second 980ti to upgrade to 4k gaming when it actually becomes feasible. But I also want an NVME drive for my OS, sooner rather than later, and I'm confused as to how the disabling PCI lanes would effect my ability to add in a second card.

And whether I need a motherboard with more lanes in order to accommodate those two cards as well as the NVME drive (probably Samsung 950).

Feel free to give me general opinions on the build, I'm really new at this and entirely self taught. The part I'm most undecided on is the motherboard itself. Let me know if I should go with the X99 pro instead, or the X99a Sli Krait edition.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($526.05 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($404.00 @ Canada Computers)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($452.98 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($896.98 @ DirectCanada)

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.95 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($148.99 @ NCIX)

Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hz 27.0" Monitor ($1105.00 @ shopRBC)

Total: $3937.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-10 12:15 EST-0500

Oops, forgot to add that all prices are Canadian dollars.

I would get EVGA 850 G2. Would be more suitable for two 980ti's.

Motherboard matters veeeeery little at this point. Only thing I would look for would be Intel Ethernet. And pick a colour.

Also the case is nice, but it doesn't have the best airflow AFAIK.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah, unfortunately I took the risk and bought the case, so I'm stuck here with it. What is the advantage of the evga compared to the xtx? And would the sabertooth be able to handle two cards and running the NVME drive at 4x? I'm really having trouble understanding the PCI lanes and how they work/change with additions.

Yeah, unfortunately I took the risk and bought the case, so I'm stuck here with it. What is the advantage of the evga compared to the xtx? And would the sabertooth be able to handle two cards and running the NVME drive at 4x? I'm really having trouble understanding the PCI lanes and how they work/change with additions.

more watts and it's built by super flower. 

Yes. It depends more on cpu, but since you have a 5820K it has enough lanes anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

more watts and it's built by super flower. 

Yes. It depends more on cpu, but since you have a 5820K it has enough lanes anyway.

Yet the XFX is Seasonic. It's now whichever PSU is cheaper :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yet the XFX is Seasonic. It's now whichever PSU is cheaper :P

850w is better for two 980ti's. They are about the same price.

Spoiler

Woops, didn't notice the PSU you'd recommended had higher wattage, I'll switch it now. Thanks!

Also, I put this thread in the wrong forum, should be in build planning. Could a mod or admin move this if they see it?