MOTHERBOARD CAUSES RAM THROTLE!?!?!?!

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

it was literally in the oc options of the Bios...i scrolled down clicked memory frequency and selected 1533...i can change it back i just want to know if what i did was the right thing to do

There's nothing wrong with it. It's not going to hurt anything.

So i was building a starter gaming rig for my son and decided to get fairly basic components

AMD FX 6350 processor

8gb Gskill Ripjaw ram

Msi R7 370 4gb oc edition

Asrock 970 Pro3+ Motherboard

EVGA 600 watt bronze psu

I GOT AMAZING OVERCLOCKS ON THIS THING

I'm 100% happy with the build it runs almost all games at ultra settings 1080p 45 to 100 fps depending on the game...

but I updated the BIOS for the Asrock 970 Pro3+ motherboard and I noticed it began to run a little slower...........................

I opened up task manager and sure enough, the motherboard throttled my ram TO 800 MHZ like WHY anyways long story short after a quick check in the Bios

it showed that my ram speed was on auto detect (for some reason it thought the ram was only 800 MHz) but I just changed it to manual mode and even added a tiny overclock to the ram now I'm getting stock speeds on my ram again.

Is this normal...has anyone else had this happen

I thought it was an interesting problem to fix and my son loves playing Battle field and Fallout 4 on his brand new shiny custom built computer

800*2=1600

its running fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ram is in dual channel... but stock speed is on 1333mhz...its gskill soooo

I'm assuming the RAM is running at 1600MHz. Due to the DDR technology being used, the 1600MHz value is an effective frequency. The actual frequency is 800MHz - DDR stands for Double Data Rate. Take the actual frequency(800MHz) and multiply it by two. You'll get 1600MHz(though we technically use 1600MT/s instead). Everything seems to be normal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

ram is in dual channel... but stock speed is on 1333mhz...its gskill soooo

Can you show me the RAM that you purchased? I've looked at three 8GB kits and they're all advertised to run at 1600MHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

so should i change my BIOS settings back to 800mhz

task manager is showing ram speed is 1333 mhz is this bad?

so should i change my BIOS settings back to 800mhz

task manager is showing ram speed is 1333 mhz is this bad?

If you could, I would like to see a screenshot of CPU-Z in the Memory Tab.

Can you show me the RAM that you purchased? I've looked at three 8GB kits and they're all advertised to run at 1600MHz.

Yeah sorry page I had opened was for 16gb ram my ram is 1600mhz however task manager is showing 1333 MHz???

Yeah sorry page I had opened was for 16gb ram my ram is 1600mhz however task manager is showing 1333 MHz???

You need to manually change that I think in the BIOS. The default is 1333MHz usually in my experience.

is it safe to run at 1600mhz when earlier task manger was showing half of that?

DDR3 ram is in dual channel do i clock it at 800mhz or 1600Mhz

So i was building a starter gaming rig for my son and decided to get fairly basic components

AMD FX 6350 processor

8gb Gskill Ripjaw ram

Msi R7 370 4gb oc edition

Asrock 970 Pro3+ Motherboard

EVGA 600 watt bronze psu

I GOT AMAZING OVERCLOCKS ON THIS THING

I'm 100% happy with the build it runs almost all games at ultra settings 1080p 45 to 100 fps depending on the game...

but I updated the BIOS for the Asrock 970 Pro3+ motherboard and I noticed it began to run a little slower...........................

I opened up task manager and sure enough, the motherboard throttled my ram TO 800 MHZ like WHY anyways long story short after a quick check in the Bios

it showed that my ram speed was on auto detect (for some reason it thought the ram was only 800 MHz) but I just changed it to manual mode and even added a tiny overclock to the ram now I'm getting stock speeds on my ram again.

Is this normal...has anyone else had this happen

I thought it was an interesting problem to fix and my son loves playing Battle field and Fallout 4 on his brand new shiny custom built computer

Just a warning, be careful with overclocking on this board (The CPU I mean), it's not a good board for doing that. It might work for some time but it might damage the VRM's due to them being not cooled and only 4+1 power phase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

is it safe to run at 1600mhz when earlier task manger was showing half of that?

DDR3 ram is in dual channel do i clock it at 800mhz or 1600Mhz

Can you please show a screenshot of CPU-Z in the Memory tab?

Just a warning, be careful with overclocking on this board (The CPU I mean), it's not a good board for doing that. It might work for some time but it might damage the VRM's due to them being not cooled and only 4+1 power phase

thanks for the info! will definitely tune down the overclocks...does that apply to the gpu clock as well?

Can you please show a screenshot of CPU-Z in the Memory tab?

don't have the program...will download now

thanks for the info! will definitely tune down the overclocks...does that apply to the gpu clock as well?

No, GPU is another thing, the CPU I mean. If you'd like to overclock, you need to get a proper board, I can give you some recommendations if you'd like (I've got an AMD rig myself)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

im good its just a starter rig for my son soo im not too woried about overclocks i have nicer stuff in my own rig i was on a budget for this rig though

No, GPU is another thing, the CPU I mean. If you'd like to overclock, you need to get a proper board, I can give you some recommendations if you'd like (I've got an AMD rig myself)

how do i attach a photo...im new to the Ltt website

In your post, go to More Reply Options. At the bottom, you should see a section that you can use to upload files.

im good its just a starter rig for my son soo im not too woried about overclocks i have nicer stuff in my own rig i was on a budget for this rig though

Overclocking the CPU should help in games quite a bit, I suggest you consider buying a proper board and selling that one, it shouldn't be a big price increase as far as I know.

one of these boards would be great:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970aslikraitedition

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

heres my cpu-z memory tab report

The effective clock is apparently 1533. Did you manually input the frequency in the BIOS?

it was just one of the default options I chose the one closest to stock

The effective clock is apparently 1533. Did you manually input the frequency in the BIOS?

it was just one of the default options I chose the one closest to stock

Was it through XMP? Do you remember?

it was literally in the oc options of the Bios...i scrolled down clicked memory frequency and selected 1533...i can change it back i just want to know if what i did was the right thing to do

Was it through XMP? Do you remember?