Air540 with 3x cougar fans in front

MSI z97 gmaing 5

i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz 1.255V with a 0.010 offset

Corsair h100i (stock fans)

16GB Adata XPG DDR3 2400mhz @ 1.65V

Galax hof 980ti

qnix qx2710 1440p @ 110hz

windows 10 64 bit with latest updates and drivers

So I'm having a bit high cpu temps or so I think. My temps in BO3 running on max graphics my temps is nearing 85C. I tested with aida64 stress test cpu, fpu and cache and get temps of 100C easily.

So I tried replacing thermal (arctic silver 5) paste and made sure my cooler is installed correctly with the backplate being installed the right way around. I also installed some washers for my backplate cause that fixes the loose backplate and some pople get 5+ temp drop. I also tried putting my fans on max speed with not much temp drop. I made sure my h100i is not dusty and removed all dust filters.

My airdlow is as follows:

front 3x cougars vortex pwm 120mm

Back stock fan that came with case

Corsair h100i at top exhausting all the air.

Although I don't have many issues with performance I do get a small dip in some games and would like to solve this now. My gpu temps never exceeds 70C and very rarely go to 80C. So what should I do to increase my temps. I also know about the cure time for arctic silver 5. I also made sure my pump is running at full speed via corsair link. Idle temps on the same ambient temps is about 28-32C. 

I checked the temps via MSI afterburner and Aida64 itself

apply new thermal paste or clean the filters 

I didn't know what to put here...

Do you have exouhst fans, properly clean the filters,fans, and THERMAL PASTE,it matters alot.

Do you have exouhst fans, properly clean the filters,fans, and THERMAL PASTE,it matters alot.

Like I said I removed the dust filters completely and reinstalled with new thermal paste after removing the cooler.

I know aida64 will add way more stress than the average game will ever use but I'm just not sure if it should be that high. I can see on aida64 stability test it's thermal throttling.

Like I said I removed the dust filters completely and reinstalled with new thermal paste after removing the cooler.

I know aida64 will add way more stress than the average game will ever use but I'm just not sure if it should be that high. I can see on aida64 stability test it's thermal throttling.

Maybe the h100i is failing? (the pump)

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Maybe the h100i is failing? (the pump)

Could be but how will I know that? When I have my cpu under stress I can feel the one tube feels cold and the other one hot and I know it suppose to feel like this. I even measured my CPU voltage with voltmeter and it's spot on what I set in bios.

Do you have a CPU air cooler you can compare results with?

Saying that my 4790K gets much hotter when I OC, I run at stock as I don't need the extra power....yet

Sadly I have some bad news. So looks like i have other issues i have to worry about. Like I said I did the rubber washer mod on my h100i and think I might have tighten it to far cause now my pc doesn't even boot with the memory in either slot 3-4 and that's handling one of the memory channels. So it might be a board issue or cpu is at fault. Anyway I'm going to our suppliers here to do some testings. on slot 1-2 it works so What do you guys think can be the issue?

I'm a bit worried as here in my country upgrading to skylake is not worth all the money as it's super expensive. I tried with stock cooler as well and same issue and cheked for any bent pins and I don't see any. If I remember I had some issues with memory before. Before this 2x8GB kit I had 4x4GB 1600mhz memory that was giving me some issues. Just to elaborate that my brother is running that kit in his 3770k machine just fine now with zero crashes and so on so maybe the memory controller or motherboard was faulty from day 1 and could that also be the reason for my bad performance.

Now I want to know what is better. A x99 5920k or z170 6700k? I will be googling a bit as well. Bare in mind I'm not going to sli any time soon.

Sadly I have some bad news. So looks like i have other issues i have to worry about. Like I said I did the rubber washer mod on my h100i and think I might have tighten it to far cause now my pc doesn't even boot with the memory in either slot 3-4 and that's handling one of the memory channels. So it might be a board issue or cpu is at fault. Anyway I'm going to our suppliers here to do some testings. on slot 1-2 it works so What do you guys think can be the issue?

I'm a bit worried as here in my country upgrading to skylake is not worth all the money as it's super expensive. I tried with stock cooler as well and same issue and cheked for any bent pins and I don't see any. If I remember I had some issues with memory before. Before this 2x8GB kit I had 4x4GB 1600mhz memory that was giving me some issues. Just to elaborate that my brother is running that kit in his 3770k machine just fine now with zero crashes and so on so maybe the memory controller or motherboard was faulty from day 1 and could that also be the reason for my bad performance.

Now I want to know what is better. A x99 5920k or z170 6700k? I will be googling a bit as well. Bare in mind I'm not going to sli any time soon.

The 5820K is better for multi-threaded workloads, the 6700K is generally better for gaming.

Personally, I'd go for the 5820K. It may not be as new and fancy as Skylake, but its multi-thread performance beats out the 6700K easily while not sacrificing too much single-core performance (You could easily make it up by OCing anyway), and it comes with all the bonuses of the X99 chipset. It's the difference between a gaming PC and an enthusiast PC.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

A 4.6GHz OC is a bit high for the 4790K with only 1.25V. I run mine at 4.2GHz at that voltage. Consider upping the voltage and/or lowering the multiplier.

A 4.6GHz OC is a bit high for the 4790K with only 1.25V. I run mine at 4.2GHz at that voltage. Consider upping the voltage and/or lowering the multiplier.

Read my previous post. My whole pc has broken.

The 5820K is better for multi-threaded workloads, the 6700K is generally better for gaming.

Personally, I'd go for the 5820K. It may not be as new and fancy as Skylake, but its multi-thread performance beats out the 6700K easily while not sacrificing too much single-core performance (You could easily make it up by OCing anyway), and it comes with all the bonuses of the X99 chipset. It's the difference between a gaming PC and an enthusiast PC.

Also the 5820 is much in south African Rands it's R12030 for the 5820k based pc and R10470 fro the 6700k based pc. So as you an see for us it's a big jump and does it really give that much more performance or at all. I seen some testings with about the same system with about the same specs as mine and skylake in most gaming situations give better performance.

He said nothing about it being unstable.

Also the 5820 is much in south African Rands it's R12030 for the 5930k based pc and R10470 fro the 6700k based pc. So as you an see for us it's a big jump and does it really give that much more performance or at all. I seen some testings with about the same system with about the same specs as mine and skylake in most gaming situations give better performance.

The 5930K is cheaper than the 5820K?

As for Z170 or X99, it depends on what you're doing.

The 5930K is cheaper than the 5820K?

As for Z170 or X99, it depends on what you're doing.

ok sorry meant 5820k not 5930k. was getting a bit confused

So i did some reading and it comes down to my motherboard that could be faulty but will have to wait for the store i bought it from to do some extensive testings.

Agreed. X99 is a pretty decent way to be future resistant (not proof) whether gaming or not. Z170 does have a slight edge in the gaming department so far, but as games come in the future they'll be using more cores. Most games are GPU intensive anyway and the differences will be slight. But you will pay more for it so it depends on what you're willing to spend.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

Agreed. X99 is a pretty decent way to be future resistant (not proof) whether gaming or not. Z170 does have a slight edge in the gaming department so far, but as games come in the future they'll be using more cores. Most games are GPU intensive anyway and the differences will be slight. But you will pay more for it so it depends on what you're willing to spend.

Actually, the prices of the 5820K and the 6700K are usually within $20 of each other, from what I've seen at least. Which one you're spending more on depends on where and when you buy~

So I have the following pc that I can use in the meantime while I maybe wait for something better.

16GB corsair vengance 1600mhz

i7 3770k

MSI b75a-g43 gaming

The rest I can use from my current rig. Seeing as I can't overclock the cpu I will maybe loose a bit of fps but at least I have a working pc for now. So do you guys think the 3770k should do alright with 980 ti if I leave the 3770k at stock speed cause I can't overclock. I'm sure in some games it should be alright. for now I will be using stock cooler cause i don't need the hydro cooler anyway and I suppose temps should still be fine.

Just one tiny thing that might be an issue is that only sata port 1 is sata III and the rest is SATA II and that will make performance much worse regards to loading and so on.

So I have the following pc that I can use in the meantime while I maybe wait for something better.

16GB corsair vengance 1600mhz

i7 3770k

MSI b75a-g43 gaming

The rest I can use from my current rig. Seeing as I can't overclock the cpu I will maybe loose a bit of fps but at least I have a working pc for now. So do you guys think the 3770k should do alright with 980 ti if I leave the 3770k at stock speed cause I can't overclock. I'm sure in some games it should be alright. for now I will be using stock cooler cause i don't need the hydro cooler anyway and I suppose temps should still be fine.

Just one tiny thing that might be an issue is that only sata port 1 is sata III and the rest is SATA II and that will make performance much worse regards to loading and so on.

It should be fine. If it were your main rig, I'd suggest upgrading- But there are tons of people on this forum who're using even older CPUs without any noticeable bottleneck.

It should be fine. If it were your main rig, I'd suggest upgrading- But there are tons of people on this forum who're using even older CPUs without any noticeable bottleneck.

Regarding the 2x ssd's i will be limiting at least 1 of them but hey even if i run it at sata 2 it will be way faster than any other HDD and i only have 1 game on the other ssd anyway. 

I might get some bottleneck in some games that's CPU bottlenecked anyway on any cpu or most cpu's but not much. i will see tonight if everything fits and then do some testing to see how it performs. I'm going now from 4790k @ 4.6ghz and 2400mhz memory to 3770k at stock and 1600mhz memory. Memory wise I will not see that much of a difference but cpu wise it might but like I said will see.