Old Consoles Worth the Buy

GodSpoon

Not condoning piracy of any sort, just ignore any thoughts you have of it :P 

But I got a DS lite off eBay for $30 and got an R4 card for $20, so I'm effectively carrying around now over 40 games on a single cartridge and it ended up only costing me $50 (and the game backups)

Same deal with a PSP, someone gave me an old 3001 so I put modified firmware on it and threw a bunch of games onto the memory card, plus emulators and all the other interesting things you can do with a pep, and that literally just cost me the memory card (and the game backups) 

So of course these both have just tons of good games to play, enough i'd say to justify the purchase for sure 

And I know theres always emulators, but honestly, to me its not the same as playing it on the machine it was intended for

Any other consoles worth the buy for projects like this? 

-snip-

PS2, they have great games in my opinion, I picked up one second ahnd for 20 euro with like 10 games and 2 controllers and still  A LOT of fun

to game or not to game, that`s the question

PS3 had a lot of solid games

Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Infamous series

just to name a few

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Demon Souls

Dark Souls

Infamous series

just to name a few

But the PS3 is still like 100 bucks without games in my country, which is pretty expensive

Demon Souls

Dark Souls

Infamous series

just to name a few

Demon Souls' is so underrated, not as popular as Dark Souls despite being the predecessor and i consider it a hidden gem in the PS3's game line-up.

OP, i also recommend a game called "Vanquish" We'll be getting it on the PC soon, FINALLY, but at the time it came out it was ahead of it's time.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

PS2 w/ network adapter and hard drive, an OLD, NON-UPDATED PS3 can be jailbroken.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Demon Souls' is so underrated, not as popular as Dark Souls despite being the predecessor and i consider it a hidden gem in the PS3's game line-up.

OP, i also recommend a game called "Vanquish" We'll be getting it on the PC soon, FINALLY, but at the time it came out it was ahead of it's time.

Valkyria Chronicles was also only on PS3 till recently IIRC

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

PS2 w/ network adapter and hard drive, an OLD, NON-UPDATED PS3 can be jailbroken.

is there online stuff to fo on PS2? I know it`s possible,, but don`t know of any decent online games

If you want to emulate, you can go for a Nintendo Wii. Easy to softmod and get emulators on.

And console I think are still worthy are the PS2 and GameCube too.

These three consoles I still often play.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

is there online stuff to fo on PS2? I know it`s possible,, but don`t know of any decent online games

You need the network adapter to soft-mod it. It's how you install the hard drive to put games on and such. I don't think the online services still work, it's just for hooking up a hard drive and playing downloaded games

Which should run pretty well on a 4.6ghz G3258.

Not what they were saying at all.

They were saying the WII itself runs a lot of emulators lol.

oh and as for handhelds: get a GameBoy Advance SP. Doesn't even matter if you get the AGS001 or AGS101 model. Both are amazing. It can also play all GameBoy, GB Color and obviously GBA games. But you could also get the GameBoy Player for the GameCube (which sadly has been rising in price over the year, I bought it just in time) which also plays all GameBoy games.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well, that's what happens when your game is exclusive to one console :P . But, if they ever re-release it on PS4 it'd probably sell really well.

But the PS3 is still like 100 bucks without games in my country, which is pretty expensive

That's pretty much the same where I live too.

Which should run pretty well on a 4.6ghz G3258.

Yeah, you could emulate the Wii or those specific emulators too.. But still. Easier to connect all the controllers.

Not what they were saying at all.

They were saying the WII itself runs a lot of emulators lol.

He was saying that CPU runs Dolphin (the Wii emulator) really well  :P

That's pretty much the same where I live too.

which is too much, for now, it`ll become a lot cheaper

You need the network adapter to soft-mod it. It's how you install the hard drive to put games on and such. I don't think the online services still work, it's just for hooking up a hard drive and playing downloaded games

is that hard to do? haven`t done that, may be cool to do, either way, buying games is soooo goddamn cheap. It`s unbelieveable, most games for 1 euro :)

is that hard to do? haven`t done that, may be cool to do, either way, buying games is soooo goddamn cheap. It`s unbelieveable, most games for 1 euro :)

Not as easy as the 2-step PSP jailbreak I just did, but it's not too difficult. I made a tutorial if it helps. (I don't mean to self-promote, but it was directly relevant here T_T )

Not as easy as the 2-step PSP jailbreak I just did, but it's not too difficult. I made a tutorial if it helps. (I don't mean to self-promote, but it was directly relevant here T_T )

smart move, mate :P 

nice though, thanks

Another guy killing that small portable console market...

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

He can't be killing a dead market. PSP and original DS games are no longer sold by the original devs/publishers, only by third-parties, therefore his money would not be supporting that market in the first place.

In certain circumstances his money for the consoles themselves would go to the manufacturer (Sony still sells brand new PSPs on Amazon, I'm sure the same is true for NDS) but not the games unless they went to a lot of trouble.

Seconding the Wii and PS2 project both systems are in high supply and can be picked up for cheap.