Windows 10 Boot Problems

Wing Fat

I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 and decided instead of upgrading 8.1 I would buy a new hard drive and do a clean install, which I did over the weekend.

The problem I am having is that if I shut down my computer then later turn it back on, Windows hangs at the first load screen. I get the BIOS screen, then a black screen with the single Windows logo in the middle and the computer just sits there and does nothing. (There are usually spinning dots underneath the logo when Windows loads normally but I don't get that.) I have to hard power-off the computer, then try again. After 3-6 tries Windows finally starts loading. Sometimes I'll get the "Automatic Recovery" message underneath the logo, but it hangs there too. This only happens when I shut down; if I do a restart then Windows loads normally. Once Windows finally boots I have zero issues.

I did a Google search and my symptoms sounded like they were caused by Windows' "Fast Startup" so I turned that off but it did not fix the issue. I also turned off Fast Boot in the BIOS and that had no effect either.

I have also tried resetting the BIOS by pulling the battery and installing a new battery but neither of these things helped. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version which also did not fix the problem.

The only workaround i have been able to find is to put the computer in sleep mode. If I do this I can come back later and things will be working again. Hibernate does not work however; it will hang at startup the same as shutting down.

I have an ASUS Maximus VII Gene motherboard with an Intel 4790K. The hard drive I installed is a Samsung 850 PRO. At this point I don't know if this problem is hardware or software related. I built this computer a year ago and never had a problem with it until this weekend when I installed a new hard drive and Windows 10. I also installed a new graphics card, a GTX 980TI at the same time I installed the new hard drive, although I can't see this being related to the graphics card.

Reinstall MSX/W10 again.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 and decided instead of upgrading 8.1 I would buy a new hard drive and do a clean install, which I did over the weekend.

The problem I am having is that if I shut down my computer then later turn it back on, Windows hangs at the first load screen. I get the BIOS screen, then a black screen with the single Windows logo in the middle and the computer just sits there and does nothing. (There are usually spinning dots underneath the logo when Windows loads normally but I don't get that.) I have to hard power-off the computer, then try again. After 3-6 tries Windows finally starts loading. Sometimes I'll get the "Automatic Recovery" message underneath the logo, but it hangs there too. This only happens when I shut down; if I do a restart then Windows loads normally. Once Windows finally boots I have zero issues.

I did a Google search and my symptoms sounded like they were caused by Windows' "Fast Startup" so I turned that off but it did not fix the issue. I also turned off Fast Boot in the BIOS and that had no effect either.

I have also tried resetting the BIOS by pulling the battery and installing a new battery but neither of these things helped. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version which also did not fix the problem.

The only workaround i have been able to find is to put the computer in sleep mode. If I do this I can come back later and things will be working again. Hibernate does not work however; it will hang at startup the same as shutting down.

I have an ASUS Maximus VII Gene motherboard with an Intel 4790K. The hard drive I installed is a Samsung 850 PRO. At this point I don't know if this problem is hardware or software related. I built this computer a year ago and never had a problem with it until this weekend when I installed a new hard drive and Windows 10. I also installed a new graphics card, a GTX 980TI at the same time I installed the new hard drive, although I can't see this being related to the graphics card.

update your bios

then try a new clean install

if it still does it..then you probably got bad ram or hdd

also what power supply you got?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

try reinstall.

If not faulty parts: HDD,Ram

Don't start a post without pc specs.

format your drive and clean install again

this time make sure you have an ethernet cable connected for internet, and when you first enter windows just leave it for a few hours

after a few hours, if HDD and CPU activity is close to 0, then do a restart

after the restart leave it for a few more hours, and once CPU and HDD activity is close to 0 again then go to settings and windows update, check for updates, let it install anything that is there, then do another restart

when youre back in windows, leave it alone for a few hours, and you should be set

everything should be working, and you should have almost no HDD or CPU activity at idle, that means everything is working correctly

the most important part of this process is to not turn off/sleep/ shut down/restart the PC if CPU or HDD usage is above a few %

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 but when I try to boot to the CD ROM it hangs in exactly the same spot that booting to the hard drive does. It was obviously not doing this before because I was able to install Windows 10. I don't know what could have changed in the last couple of days. This is very frustrating.