Fried Motherboard? HELP!

Go to solution Solved by FAQBytes,

So I was building a PC today and the MB we used was the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition and we plugged the power supply in and it worked and posted when testing outside case but after we installed it into the mother board we turned it on and the motherboard sparked at the bottom towards the left but closer to center. There is a big burn mark(see below). Please help! CPU is a i5-4690k. The GPU is a ASUS 970.

That MOSFET is FUBAR. 

Dead. 

Send it in for an RMA.

(That's a MOSFET BTW. So tell them that the MOSFET next to the (Place pin-out identifiers here) has blown.)

So I was building a PC today and the MB we used was the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition and we plugged the power supply in and it worked and posted when testing outside case but after we installed it into the mother board we turned it on and the motherboard sparked at the bottom towards the left but closer to center. There is a big burn mark(see below). Please help! CPU is a i5-4690k. The GPU is a ASUS 970.

post-300370-0-79069900-1452141249_thumb.

No picture... did you screw it onto the standoffs? also yes that is definitely fried, maybe you can RMA it though

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I think so you should RMA it

Was on the phone with MSI for hours. They are refusing to do anything about it. Same with Microcenter. (Where we bought it)

That MOSFET is FUBAR. 

Dead. 

Send it in for an RMA.

(That's a MOSFET BTW. So tell them that the MOSFET next to the (Place pin-out identifiers here) has blown.)

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

As everyone else says, do an RMA on it. It worked before you put it in the case, and i suppose nothing were contacting the pins on the front/back?

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

Was on the phone with MSI for hours. They are refusing to do anything about it. Same with Microcenter. (Where we bought it)

Did you buy it in person or online?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

In person

And they saw the board? 

Take it in and tell them what happened and if they do nothing make a big song and dance about it in the shop

Warranty Exclusions

• The following circumstances excluded from warranty coverage
  • Product damage caused by catastrophes, thunder stroke, faulty electric power and environmental factors.
  • Defacing of product labeling (label alterations and falsifying, serial number missing, serial number no longer discernible, serial number invalid). All serial numbers are recorded and tracked for warranty purposes
  • Unauthorized changes of non MSI parts, modifications or alterations , parts removal in or to the products
  • Damage caused by operator error or operator fails to comply user manual instruction, such as , but not limited to improper storage resulting in product get wet, corrosion, fell off, squeezed or exposed to inadequate temperature/humid environment.
  • Internal or external consumable items of the product itself such as battery, earphone, etc.
  • Accessories or packing material such as boxes, user manual ,etc

This is MSI's warrant policy exclusions, so it looks like as long as it's not your fault they should be able to RMA it

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Micro Center has really bad customer service (usually) and bad warranty and exchange policies. MSI has always been like that

Thank you for the help everyone. Everywhere is closed right now but I will try tomorrow and report back.

it most likely shorted out due to contact with metal case

you should have used standoffs that should be provided with the case

you can try your luck with an RMA

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I bet there is a standoff behind the board where it shorted. Always make sure the standoffs match with all of the holes in the motherboard and that none of them actually end up behind the board. This can cause stuff like this.

if you can't get it RMA'd because they refuse, you're SOL. A MOSFET doesn't blow unless something was installed improperly or forgotten.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

So update! We went to Microcenter and they replaced it for free! So I've got a new MB that works! I think Murphy's Law is in effect though. As when I plugged everything in to check if it posts, the case started smoking. I can't have anything good happen to me. Called for a replacement.