How much heat does a backplate really dissipate?

crispybagel

I have a backplate for my 980, not a aluminium one but an acrylic one. Now that i got a another 980 running SLI beneath it (1 slot apart) the upper card is obviously running hotter (about 15 degrees). Has anyone cared to test the heat dissipation effect of an alu/acrylic backplate compared to none at all? I assume that test mostly effects temperatures while running SLI as i do.

My bottom card has no backplate mounted yet but it's ordered.

It doesn't dissipate heat, it just acts as a heat spreader so the air moving around the case (or your room if you have an open chassis) will take care of the heat.

But it's not a significant number and isn't necessary. It's mainly for looks and support.

From what I`ve heard it`s just for aesthetics, but if your backplate is touching the back of the PCB with thermal pats, it may help

to game or not to game, that`s the question

An acrylic backplate would likely increase temps a little bit. Aluminum ones provide a little bit of dissipation. In either case, the performance difference would be negligible, and backplates are pretty much entirely cosmetic.

When in doubt, re-format.

Not much, but a little. It's more there for style and support of the card.

EDIT- The top card is probably hotter because of the other card beneath it putting out loads of heat, and so it's fan can only pick up warmer air.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

It doesn't dissipate heat, it just acts as a heat spreader so the air moving around the case (or your room if you have an open chassis) will take care of the heat.

But it's not a significant number and isn't necessary. It's mainly for looks and support.

From what I`ve heard it`s just for aesthetics, but if your backplate is touching the back of the PCB with thermal pats, it may help

Heatspreader might be a better word for it, i assume it picks up the heat from the components of the card and spreads it evenly over the backplate rather than just letting the higher temps from the core move from 1 position straight up. Aswell as what you said, for cards like the ASUS 980ti or watercooled cards backplates would serve to dissipate heat since it's actually connected to the PCB with thermal pads.

it will only dissipate if it is contacting the PCB with thermal pads

how much it dissipates will depend on the thickness of the backplate

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2-3°C reduced heat depending if the backplate is connected via thermal pads

but mostly its for looks and to "protect" the backside

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

it will only dissipate if it is contacting the PCB with thermal pads

how much it dissipates will depend on the thickness of the backplate

2-3°C reduced heat depending if the backplate is connected via thermal pads

but mostly its for looks and to "protect" the backside

I'll see how much it differs when it arrives, hopefully a little bit aswell, although i mostly do it for the looks, temperature drop would be "a little bonus" :)