LTE Router ?

cpendas

I'm currently beta testing an iOS app that requires lots of data and I'm looking for alternatives to expensive data plans. 

The app serves as a bridge from a WiFi camera and an online streaming service, The phone acts as a hotspot, the camera is connected to it via WiFi and then is streamed out via LTE. 

Since the WiFi connection is used up by the camera, LTE is the only option.  

My idea was, maybe there is a home router that acts like an LTE tower, So the phone would connect via LTE to it, but it is actually using up my home internet instead of my data plan... 

Before you ask, that is how the camera works, I can't change that :(  I can only connect to it via WiFi.  Also, the app is not designed for indoor use, that is why it does not handle both connections via WiFi, it needs to stream out via LTE. 

I'm an idiot on the subject and realize it is potentially a stupid question.

I hit my data limit in 2 days, I desperately need some alternative!

Thanks!

Have you tried having the phone and camera connected to the same WiFi? Also can you give more info on what camera and app?

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Their is a Wireless Router that works as a tower.

It is called a Femtocell.

contact your Mobile ISP about getting one.

Ok, that recomendation does not help me 100% to what I'm trying to do now, but whatever....

Next question would be, Do any of you know if any carrier in the USA offer lower rates for data consumed through a Femptocell? They seem to advertise better signal and reliable connections, but not actual cheaper data. 

@MagnesiumPC Actually thanks a lot for the answer, you saved me a lot of time of useless research :)

Ok, that recomendation does not help me 100% to what I'm trying to do now, but whatever....

Next question would be, Do any of you know if any carrier in the USA offer lower rates for data consumed through a Femptocell? They seem to advertise better signal and reliable connections, but not actual cheaper data. 

@MagnesiumPC Actually thanks a lot for the answer, you saved me a lot of time of useless research :)

What you're looking for is called a Private Mobile Network. You basically become your own cellular provider.

http://www.privatemobilenetworks.com/solutions/

I don't know the pricing, but as with anything that lists military/disaster as use case scenarios, it's not going to be cheap. There should be plenty of companies offering similar solutions.

I know that there is open source Base Station software, but I believe that it is 2G only.

Alternately, contact your provider and get their business department on the phone. Just explain to them that you are developing an app and you need a data plan for machine to machine communication. They may have something that will offer unlimited data that normal customers don't have access to.