Questions about upgrading to intel.

mhdg

I am thinking of switching from amd to intel, if i was to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and gpu what would i have to do with windows? Would it just work normally again if i plugged in the same hard drive? If not how do i reinstall my windows without having to buy it again? Thanks! Or do you reccomend i stay with amd and move to an fx 8350 and buy a 970? Would this run okay, if so what would happen to windows? 

Pretty sure motherboard upgrades require a fresh install.

And even if you were not changing MoBo i would recommend it anyway.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I am thinking of switching from amd to intel, if i was to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and gpu what would i have to do with windows? Would it just work normally again if i plugged in the same hard drive? If not how do i reinstall my windows without having to buy it again? Thanks!

Usually it should work by simply plugging it into your new motherboard and selecting it as your boot device.

Windows might need to be re-activated, but that's pretty simple.

Pretty sure motherboard upgrades require a fresh install.

And even if you were not changing MoBo i would recommend it anyway.

Okay thanks, to reinstall windows what do i need to do, just reinsert the disc and install or will i have to buy another copy? (yh i have windows on a disc)

Usually it should work by simply plugging it into your new motherboard and selecting it as your boot device.

Windows might need to be re-activated, but that's pretty simple.

Ah okay, so i will not need to purchase windows again if i originally bought and installed it on a disc?

Okay thanks, to reinstall windows what do i need to do, just reinsert the disc and install or will i have to buy another copy? (yh i have windows on a disc)

just put in the disc and do it that way :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Ah okay, so i will not need to purchase windows again if i originally bought and installed it on a disc?

No you don't need to buy it again. I changed from a Z87 to a Z97, changed my RAM, my graphics cards, PSU - well pretty much everything and it worked fine. But you might need to call the Microsoft support to re-activate your OS. Windows should tell you about the activation process if its needed.

So simply move your HDD over and see what happens.

Wait!!

Try a program called Paragon.  it will save you from having to reinstall windows.  You can find an excellent post on the forum here:  [link]

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

If you have made a boot drive on an ssd then you just select it in the bios i think.

In terms of needing to reinstall Windows, you could always get your product key from your System Properties. When you un-install Windows, you should be able to re-use the key. I've done this many many times before when accidentally killing machines which came with product keys, just ensure you have the actual product key and not some random junk which Windows displays to you.

You will need to reinstall Windows yes, as your new OS wouldn't know how to work with your Motherboard.

In terms of changing from Intel to AMD...

This really depends on your preference. I have an AMD FX 9590, which is just a little more powerful than the CPU you have right now, and I'll tell you, I'd be paying quite a bit more for the same amount of power if I were to go and get an Intel CPU. I really like Intel, although AMD just have much better price per performance. AMD chips do tend to run better, on both their CPUs and GPUs, although provided you have a cooler to deal with the extra heat, you shouldn't have an issue. My very powerful CPU sits at around 40-50 degrees Celsius when under load.

As I said, it's more a matter of preference. The main reason I would upgrade to Intel is if I wanted dual Xeons in my system or something, or if I wanted support for some features AMD doesn't have, like Intel QuickSync, although overall; AMD has the better "Bang for the Buck".

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz (5GHzBoost) | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [BOOT]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: 800W something | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p 16:9; Yuraku 19" monitor | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition [Green Switches] | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula | Audio: Razer Tiamat 2.2+ Razer Hammerheads Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Yes, with most hardware upgrades although not always necessary i would recommend going for a fresh install of windows along with all new drivers for the hardware.

otherwise with my building experience if have not found any problems with my hardware compatibly as long as i followed those steps.