Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I'm in the same boat.. DS3 vs K70 & brown vs blue switches. :-/

I hate decisions.

I went in blind. Browns seemed like a good choice for me from reading up so I went with them on a DS3. I'm not disappointed its a great keyboard and the switches feel really good. One of my concerns going in was that the switches would be too loud. Browns are very quiet I've had membrane keyboards sound louder an I've also had membrane keyboards that required more force to press a key. I want to try blues now and if I can find a way to justify to myself spending $150 on a keyboard for my testing PC. I'll probably buy another DS3 with blues this time.

Granted I haven't tried the blues but I'm getting the feeling from reading up that there is no wrong choice. There's just a better choice and that depends on your preference. So get a key sample kit if you're worried or just dive in like me. Its sooooo good. :)

Why does no one ever consider a WASD v2 I know they sold out real quick but their definitely a quality board, hell even the v1 was.

My guess is people want to source them from a store / site they've dealt with before / feel comfortable with. I made my choice partially based on this.

*snip*

My guess is people want to source them from a store / site they've dealt with before / feel comfortable with. I made my choice partially based on this.

I really dont know if you can consider that since ducky's at least in the US as far as I can tell are only available from a very select few retailer many of which I wouldnt consider to be any of teh things you mentioned above. Also you can get the WASD keyboards directly from them if you so wish. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

I really dont know if you can consider that since ducky's at least in the US as far as I can tell are only available from a very select few retailer many of which I wouldnt consider to be any of teh things you mentioned above. Also you can get the WASD keyboards directly from them if you so wish. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Yea I can't speak to the US, I live in Australia, I got my DS3 from PCCG which is widely used and recommended here so I felt comfortable dealing with them. There's also brand awareness to consider. I was already aware of Corsair, Ducky and DAS. I hadn't heard of WASD keyboards until I began researching for my first mech keyboard since a model M I had many many years ago.

Yea I can't speak to the US, I live in Australia, I got my DS3 from PCCG which is widely used and recommended here so I felt comfortable dealing with them. There's also brand awareness to consider. I was already aware of Corsair, Ducky and DAS. I hadn't heard of WASD keyboards until I began researching for my first mech keyboard since a model M I had many many years ago.

I must say im a bit partial to WASD since he started on GeekHack and took a good deal of feedback from the forum and what not. Which is why his boards arnt flashy and have a bunch of features no others have.

Got my CMStorm Quickfire TK about a month ago. 

Love the keyboard, I've been typing and gaming on it and for me the browns

made the switch from membrane to mechanical much easier, and for me the 

best part is that i'm not a touch typeest so i get the clicky noise!!

Overall i'd recommend browns for a person that is committing to a mechanical.

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

I had my ducky YOTS in blues for about a month and a half, kinda love it. I think I'm going to have to get heavier switches because I bottom out every time and it's so hard to move my hand and fingers from pressing too deep. I can't type too well...but for gaming they're fine,

As a result, been looking at the Realforce 87U for 55g.

Everyone says that blues mostly feel like the 55g, the 45 is said to be more mushy. Also I'm leaning toward 55gs because they are harder to press when your fingers are resting on them slightly heavily.

Decisions decisions decisions...

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Yes, the price is indeed abit massive, but I dont even have a choice in my country thats why I have to fly accross the seas just to get one

I am now in search of japanese proxy which can ship to my country, I found there are a lot of stuff I want especially from diatech website (they have topre too GD) which I just found that their fee and shipping are still reasonable too, so in total... You know what I mean

I really wanna get that marble wrist rest

Diatec makes Topre boards ?  Do you have a link ? I would love to see what they look like.

k95topaltkeyglow.jpg

I just bought the Corsair K95 a few weeks ago. It's the first mechanical keyboard I have owned, but I have used others. In my opinion this is the best mechanical keyboard out there.

Cherry MX Reds Switches

Bright White Independently lit up keys 

Independent Media buttons

Volume wheel / mute button

Great wrist rest

18 programmable G keys all mechanical

custom profiles

Usb 2.0 port

Bios Switch

Brushed aluminum for sexy and sturdy design

Got a K70 brown switches and i nearly got the blue switches but man these browns are da shit!, first mechanical keyboard but i've tried a lot of different switches and makes in stores and i instantly fell for the K70.

got myself a razer blackwidow ultimate with cherry mx blue switches

because i cant get the k70 in blue switches in holland

i really like the feel of this keyboard and the quality is great

i know people are gonna say razer is crap and i thought the same with my older razer product

but this is just awesome build quality

Got myself a new speaker system and new desk, since the old one was way too small. Here're a couple of pics of my desk area, broke out my old Ducky Shine 1 MX Blue Green LED since my case has green LED, my Kone XTD is set to green, the speakers and console controller have green on them as well. Look nVidia themed and why shouldn't it? It has a couple of nV cards in it so the color theme fits. Just felt like posting as I'm proud of the cleanup I'd done, the previous desk was way too small and obscenely dirty....

20131224_183140_zps6c67e7b5.jpg

20131224_183158_zpsbd4bfa3a.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + TR Phantom Spirit 120 EVO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Got myself a new speaker system and new desk, since the old one was way too small. Here're a couple of pics of my desk area, broke out my old Ducky Shine 1 MX Blue Green LED since my case has green LED, my Kone XTD is set to green, the speakers and console controller have green on them as well. Look nVidia themed and why shouldn't it? It has a couple of nV cards in it so the color theme fits. Just felt like posting as I'm proud of the cleanup I'd done, the previous desk was way too small and obscenely dirty....

20131224_183140_zps6c67e7b5.jpg

20131224_183158_zpsbd4bfa3a.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a Zalman monitor before. Cool looking speakers by the way :)

Got myself my first mechanical keyboard ever - a CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate with Cherry MX Blue switches and I love it. I can't go back, lol.

Pomf =3

I bought myself a Ducky Shine 3 with mx blue switches but didn't bring it home for winter break. The logitech G105 keyboard at home is just not good enough :/. I also really want to try mx greens but they're impossible to find. 

how do you find the swans?

and how can you live with that many shortcut, time to upgrade to windows 8 boy!

Bah, I have Win8.1 Pro installed in my main rig, sticking with Win7 pro on this setup. ;)  The GT1000 2.1 speaker system is pretty good considering its multimedia roots, don't don't expect lows like those on a Klipsch PM2.1 (which I have) or a Logitech Z623, suffice to say the bass is good enough. For music listening, it could be better, but as things stand, it's pretty decent.....for gaming and movies, it hit sufficiently low bass and good mids (so dialog is pretty clear). As a whole, not a bad buy, no regrets at all.

I don't think I have ever seen a Zalman monitor before. Cool looking speakers by the way :)

I'd gotten this Zalman because it's a TriMon monitor, that is to say, it does passive S3D pretty damn well, guru3d's Hilbert gave it a good score. TriMon is similar to LG's TriDef, both are, to me anyway, the same or very similar technology-wise, but Zalman won me over due to nVidia control panel having Zalman S3D setting as well. With LG, you'd have to install their software and tune it IIRC. 

Oh yeah, about the speakers and console, I couldn't take that much green accent, so I broke my trusty spray cans of black and clear lacquer and gave the accents a quick once, or twice, or thrice over and I think it look better. The green accent sort of made it look tacky...what do you think?

20131225_120917_zps4f645dc4.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + TR Phantom Spirit 120 EVO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Bah, I have Win8.1 Pro installed in my main rig, sticking with Win7 pro on this setup. ;)  The GT1000 2.1 speaker system is pretty good considering its multimedia roots, don't don't expect lows like those on a Klipsch PM2.1 (which I have) or a Logitech Z623, suffice to say the bass is good enough. For music listening, it could be better, but as things stand, it's pretty decent.....for gaming and movies, it hit sufficiently low bass and good mids (so dialog is pretty clear). As a whole, not a bad buy, no regrets at all.

I'd gotten this Zalman because it's a TriMon monitor, that is to say, it does passive S3D pretty damn well, guru3d's Hilbert gave it a good score. TriMon is similar to LG's TriDef, both are, to me anyway, the same or very similar technology-wise, but Zalman won me over due to nVidia control panel having Zalman S3D setting as well. With LG, you'd have to install their software and tune it IIRC. 

Oh yeah, about the speakers and console, I couldn't take that much green accent, so I broke my trusty spray cans of black and clear lacquer and gave the accents a quick once, or twice, or thrice over and I think it look better. The green accent sort of made it look tacky...what do you think?

20131225_120917_zps4f645dc4.jpg

Def still looks really good. I just had never seen pc speakers with LED's :) Oh and I agree WIN7 for the WIN.

Oh I moved the PBT caps over from my DK9008 G2 Pro over to my DK9087 G2 Pro.  I like it alot better.

I just ordered a Cherry MX Board 3.0 with MX Reds and + the optional Palmrest. It's one of the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there, has low profile keys, which I always prefer for gaming and is supposed to be very quiet compared to others. It replaces my crappy old razr lycosa, which kind of sucks because half of its features don't work properly. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and hopefully it'll be cheap and cheerful!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

i just ordered a Corsair Vengence K70  :)

I'll post pictures when it arrives!  :D

Decided to go with the K70 cause it's the only keyboard that was on my budget, they don't sell K90 anymore and the K95 is too expensive. The K90 isn't fully mechanical but has the G-Keys, but i don't really mind the K70 not having any.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

i just ordered a Corsair Vengence K70 :)

I'll post pictures when it arrives! :D

Decided to go with the K70 cause it's the only keyboard that was on my budget, they don't sell K90 anymore and the K95 is too expensive. The K90 isn't fully mechanical but has the G-Keys, but i don't really mind the K70 not having any.

Congrats. You didn't look at any other brands? I'm considering the K70 and the Ducky Shine 3.

I've heard tons of K70 users talking about LEDs going out within a month of ownership :-/

Congrats. You didn't look at any other brands? I'm considering the K70 and the Ducky Shine 3.

I've heard tons of K70 users talking about LEDs going out within a month of ownership :-/

i did look at other brands but the K70 was the one that stood out the most to me, and if the LED's do go out, i can return it and get a refund or exchange anyway  :P

but i'll probably consider buying the K95 when i feel like it's time to upgrade lol

EDIT: i heard that the LED's are faulty on the silver K70 models, i ordered a black model with cherry mx reds. 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Coolermaster CMStorm TK stealth in MX browns

Mods: none so far but want to get new thicker key caps as these feel a bit thin.

Also new shroud to change the front color of the keyboard or just paint this one.

I bought myself a Ducky Shine 3 with mx blue switches but didn't bring it home for winter break. The logitech G105 keyboard at home is just not good enough :/. I also really want to try mx greens but they're impossible to find. 

WASDKeyboards should have some in.

WASD website: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Mechanical keyboards has them in right now as well: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=48

I just ordered a Cherry MX Board 3.0 with MX Reds and + the optional Palmrest. It's one of the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there, has low profile keys, which I always prefer for gaming and is supposed to be very quiet compared to others. It replaces my crappy old razr lycosa, which kind of sucks because half of its features don't work properly. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and hopefully it'll be cheap and cheerful!

It arrived today (uhm, yesterday, actually) and it is quite cheerful - without the cheap, though. It actually has a nice build quality to it. Maybe not the best but definately en par with the Razer Lycosa, propably better, which was a bit more expensive when I bought it, btw. I'm very happy with it and I'm a bit confused, why this doesn't get more coverage - despite its cheap price it's a very solid and well build keyboard and it's directly from cherry, after all.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit