do i need the extra rad space?

Go to solution Solved by Benji_w,

but is the extra 140x140 of rad space important with my hardware or should i spend less and get just what i need? also should it be possible to mount an average/thin 140 rad in the back fan mount with a 30mm 280 rad mounted in the top?

One sec I have the manual here:

Says a 140 is fine with a 30mm rad up top. I would still fit a 420 rad up top, it has the mounts for them.

ignorance in a nutshell

Indeed!

so im planning to do a loop with a 420 and a 280 rad (i already have all the fans i need so going to 360s isnt going to work. im only going to be cooling a 4790k at 4.6-4.8ghz and a max OC 980ti classy (maybe a second in the future). will i need the extra rad space or will i be fine with a thicker 280 rather than a 30mm 420? my case is a  fractal design define s

wan

You barely need a 420 rad for all of just 1 CPU+ 1 GPU, you could do good with a thick 360 rad.

I used to be quite active here.

You barely need a 420 rad for all of just 1 CPU+ 1 GPU, you could do good with a thick 360 rad.

well if you read the first part of the post you could see that ive already got 6 140mm fans and dont plan on buying 3 120mm fans just for my loop

wan

well if you read the first part of the post you could see that ive already got 6 140mm fans and dont plan on buying 3 120mm fans just for my loop

420 is enough rad space. Closed-loop GPU's are cooled by a single-rad, and a 280mm rad is enough for a really good OC on a nicer 4790k. Even two GPU's wouldn't be a problem.

420 is enough rad space. Closed-loop GPU's are cooled by a single-rad, and a 280mm rad is enough for a really good OC on a nicer 4790k. Even two GPU's wouldn't be a problem.

ok ill go with a monsta 280 in the front and a 30mm 280 in the top. one extra question: could i mount 30-45mm 140 rad in the back fan slot with those rads installed?( for future upgradability)

wan

Yep you'll be fine. Even with fairly slim rads. If you want to add another 980ti in the future you will be fine too, however if you do do this I would recommend thick rads. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Yep you'll be fine. Even with fairly slim rads. If you want to add another 980ti in the future you will be fine too, however if you do do this I would recommend thick rads. 

what question are you responding to?

wan

so if i get a higher volume from the dual 280 setup would i get higher cooling capacity or is extra fan space more effective than thicker rads?

wan

Never take cooling advice from someone who fits a 212 onto one of the hottest cpus going...

so im planning to do a loop with a 420 and a 280 rad (i already have all the fans i need so going to 360s isnt going to work. im only going to be cooling a 4790k at 4.6-4.8ghz and a max OC 980ti classy (maybe a second in the future). will i need the extra rad space or will i be fine with a thicker 280 rather than a 30mm 420? my case is a  fractal design define s

Go with the 420 and you will be able to run your fans at lower rpm meaning less noise. There is no replacement for more surface area. Thicker rads more often than not don't impact on performance as much as surface area.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Never take cooling advice from someone who fits a 212 onto one of the hottest cpus going...

Go with the 420 and you will be able to run your fans at lower rpm meaning less noise. There is no replacement for more surface area. Thicker rads more often than not don't impact on performance as much as surface area.

but is the extra 140x140 of rad space important with my hardware or should i spend less and get just what i need? also should it be possible to mount an average/thin 140 rad in the back fan mount with a 30mm 280 rad mounted in the top?

wan

ignorance in a nutshell

ok ill go with a monsta 280 in the front and a 30mm 280 in the top. one extra question: could i mount 30-45mm 140 rad in the back fan slot with those rads installed?( for future upgradability)

If there's clearance between the CPU block and the exhaust, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Says a 140 is fine with a 30mm rad up top. I would still fit a 420 rad up top, it has the mounts for them.

ignorance in a nutshell

Indeed!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

so if i get a higher volume from the dual 280 setup would i get higher cooling capacity or is extra fan space more effective than thicker rads?

more fan space is always better than thickness, however it is cheaper to get a thicker rad compared to adding more. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

can i have the 420 with the fittings towards the front or am i limited to having the fittings at the back? also can i mount a 140mm fan in the top front fan mount with the 420 mounted?

wan

more fan space is always better than thickness, however it is cheaper to get a thicker rad compared to adding more. 

the alphacool st30 420 is the same price as the ut60 280

wan

The OP can only fit a 30mm thick 280 or 420mm rad and given the OP has the fans already a thick 360 isn't an option.

Source: Define S User Guide.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

can i have the 420 with the fittings towards the front or am i limited to having the fittings at the back? also can i mount a 140mm fan in the top front fan mount with the 420 mounted?

Unfortunately instead of pretending to know what I'm talking about here I cannot comment, my gf hasn't yet started collecting her watercooling parts for her Portal themed build so we haven't yet tested the orientation and so on. If at all possible see if you can get a cross flow radiator.

http://www.hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=133

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

the alphacool st30 420 is the same price as the ut60 280

sometimes price doesn't mean performance. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Unfortunately instead of pretending to know what I'm talking about here I cannot comment, my gf hasn't yet started collecting her watercooling parts for her Portal themed build so we haven't yet tested the orientation and so on. If at all possible see if you can get a cross flow radiator.

http://www.hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=133

how would a crossflow be any different from a regular radiator in the space limitations?

wan

no but it shows that your point of thicker rads being a cheaper option is false unless you are taking into account having to buy a new case to fit them. the more true statement would be that thicker rads are a more accessible option compared to longer rads.

wan

That's not what the OP is saying, either way the price is the same but what you haven't considered is the space limitation so seeing as both rads are the same price but only one will really fit without modding the case, the OP might as well fit the 420.

how would a crossflow be any different from a regular radiator in the space limitations?

It was just in reply to your question on fitting orientation.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

ill stick with the st30 420 in the top and the 45-60mm 280 in the front (whichever i can afford at the time) and if i cant mount the extra intake in the front ill throw it in the bottom and i can always replan the tubing runs if i cant have the fittings at the front.

wan

ill stick with the st30 420 in the top and the 45-60mm 280 in the front (whichever i can afford at the time) and if i cant mount the extra intake in the front ill throw it in the bottom and i can always replan the tubing runs if i cant have the fittings at the front.

The front rad shouldn't (in theory) interfere with your other fan so it should fit in the front without issue... in theory...  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

The front rad shouldn't (in theory) interfere with your other fan so it should fit in the front without issue... in theory...  :ph34r:

the front rad isnt the issue its the top rad that might get in the way

wan

what is the required height of the mosfet heatsinks to remove the 280/420mm radiator thickness limitation?

wan