Overclocking fx-6300?

Tmt97

So I am completely new to overclocking, but I am wondering if and how I should go about doing it on my fx-6300. I hardly even understand what it is, other than that it can make your components a little more powerful, but also run hotter. Fortunately for me, I learned today that my cpu is well within safe temps. According to HWMonitor, my cpu idles at about 10-20 degrees(8 degrees is what I'm observing as I'm writing this). And when I ran a stress test(Prime95), I was getting 47 degrees max. Do I have room to overrclock a little before I kill my CPU? And if so, is there any guides on how to safely do this? I don't have the money to just go out and buy replacement parts if stuff starts dying on me, so I need to do this safely or not at all. Thanks for your help in advance.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

What is your CPU cooler?

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

47 C is tghe lowest load temp ive ever seen. that cpu can go up to 70 C without dying.

your motherboard is gonna be the limiting factor. the 970 isnt the best for overclocking, but possible

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

What is your CPU cooler?

It's a stock cooler, and I have three noctua NF-P12 case fans connected to molex running full blast all the time.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It's a stock cooler, and I have three noctua NF-P12 case fans connected to molex running full blast all the time.

You still may want to upgrade your cpu cooler.

8c while idle? That can't be. AMD cpu's use software to detect temps if I remember correctly and it is often out of whack.

I highly doubt you have maxed 47 degrees on Stock Cooler, and do not overclock on stock cooler because that is also asking for death and you wont be able to get a overclock worth it,

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

8c while idle? That can't be. AMD cpu's use software to detect temps if I remember correctly and it is often out of whack.

My AMD cpu said it was 110 degrees Celsius at load xD

My AMD cpu said it was 110 degrees Celsius at load xD

Should have shut itself down at that point no? :P if it was true.

I highly doubt you have maxed 47 degrees on Stock Cooler, and do not overclock on stock cooler because that is also asking for death and you wont be able to get a overclock worth it,

Want proof? I can make a vid of me running prime95 and HWMonitor. If I'm doing something wrong to get inaccurate results you can tell me.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Should have shut itself down at that point no? :P if it was true.

Its a faulty reading, All AMD Cpu's are ass at reading temps

Pick up a Hyper 212 EVO, they are cheap, and go to town (carefully :D ). The AMD FX-6300 runs very cool and has lots of OC room. So, carefully, have fun with it.

AMD Temp reporting can be REALLY off. Just BTW.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Want proof? I can make a vid of me running prime95 and HWMonitor. If I'm doing something wrong to get inaccurate results you can tell me.

Those readings are not true, read first post of mine.

FX series and A-Series CPU's are ass at reading temps correctly but sure make a video

there is no way you have 8C idle with a stock cooler... the fx stock coolers are garbage... hwmonitor doesn't read AMD temps right. Check the temps inside the BIOs and if they are around the same then you must have gotten the god of all stock coolers. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

there is no way you have 8C idle with a stock cooler... the fx stock coolers are garbage... hwmonitor doesn't read AMD temps right. Check the temps inside the BIOs and if they are around the same then you must have gotten the god of all stock coolers. 

If he got a godly stock cooler im willing to buy it for like 20 bucks

How do I check the temps inside bios?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

If he got a godly stock cooler im willing to buy it for like 20 bucks

Is that an offer? xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You just need to go into the BIOs of your mobo and the temps should be listed at the top, but it could also depend on the motherboard at where it's located. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

You just need to go into the BIOs of your mobo and the temps should be listed at the top, but it could also depend on the motherboard at where it's located.

Ok, in bios it says it's 29 degrees.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yeah that's a bit more accurate for a stock cooler, like I said hwmonitor is good for monitoring but it will lie on AMD cpus. I wouldn't overclock until you get a better cooler. OCing with that stock cooler could damage your CPU. Like someone ahead of me suggested the Hyper 212 EVO is a good after market cooler and you can get some really decent OC's with it. 

Yeah that's a bit more accurate for a stock cooler, like I said hwmonitor is good for monitoring but it will lie on AMD cpus. I wouldn't overclock until you get a better cooler. OCing with that stock cooler could damage your CPU. Like someone ahead of me suggested the Hyper 212 EVO is a good after market cooler and you can get some really decent OC's with it.

Thanks for the warning. I definitely don't wanna damage it. Is the 29 degrees still safe if I leave it un-overclocked for now?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yes that is perfectly fine, it shouldn't even excede more than 65 under full load, Heck my FX 8350 ran at 35C idle with the stock so you're doing better than me. xD

dont OC beyond 4.2GHz with that motherboard. it is only 4+1 phase 125w. It is not meant to handle OCs. It will OC, but the board itself isnt meant for it