Booting in a res lower than Native

BrandonTheCat
Go to solution Solved by Tomasu,

Try also seeing if you can update the "drivers" for your monitor. The settings will only show you resolutions that the Monitor and GPU /both/ report they support. Sometimes the EDID information coming back from monitors is just wrong, and it can depend on the silly little .inf driver info that windows picks for your monitor.

Heyo, 

So I've been getting this problem a lot lately, so I'll state my hardware first: 

ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor being ran off display port 1.2

GTX 980 

Windows 10

Thats about all that matters, I'll post any more if needed

Anyways, my PC refuses to run in the native res (4K60) I have visited the Nvidia control panel and the control panel through windows, and the maximum resolution I can output is 2560x1600 (At least thats what it says). I have been able to output at 4K 60 before, but this happens whenever I restart. Fix? 

Thanks for any help :) 

So it's your desktop you're trying to run in 4k? Is that what re sets on start-up?

Yeah it boots in 2560x1600 and I can't change it to 4K

Can you show pictures of your Nvidia control panel, specifically the "Change resolution" and "Adjust desktop size and position" options?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Heyo, 

So I've been getting this problem a lot lately, so I'll state my hardware first: 

ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor being ran off display port 1.2

GTX 980 

Windows 10

Thats about all that matters, I'll post any more if needed

Anyways, my PC refuses to run in the native res (4K60) I have visited the Nvidia control panel and the control panel through windows, and the maximum resolution I can output is 2560x1600 (At least thats what it says). I have been able to output at 4K 60 before, but this happens whenever I restart. Fix? 

Thanks for any help :)

It should work. 4k at 60fps is max res supported by display port.

Updating video card drivers? Maybe downgrading them if you updated them if you did a driver update.

This is happening everytime when you restart? Weird.

Sorry, I am not very much help, this all I can give you because I am not in this situation.

That's all I can suggest to you.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Try also seeing if you can update the "drivers" for your monitor. The settings will only show you resolutions that the Monitor and GPU /both/ report they support. Sometimes the EDID information coming back from monitors is just wrong, and it can depend on the silly little .inf driver info that windows picks for your monitor.

It should work. 4k at 60fps is max res supported by display port.

Can you show pictures of your Nvidia control panel, specifically the "Change resolution" and "Adjust desktop size and position" options?

So it's your desktop you're trying to run in 4k? Is that what re sets on start-up?

After around 4 or 5 restarts it fixed itself, which is completely weird. Its just an issue that hapens often and is usually really hard to fix. Anyways thanks for all the help. I'll post again if it happens again. 

this may have been the problem as restarting the PC alone didn't help, but restarting the PC and monitor did... Eh.. troubles.. Thanks anyways!