[Build Log] "Project Red Dragon" - Custom Water Loop

Nutcase-86

Hi All,

This is more of a placeholder since all the parts ordered are in the mail and on their way to me (so excited), they should be here in about 4 days or so at which point ill update :)

So everything here is in the mail on the way except where mentioned. Please feel free to add your 2c as this is my first custom water cooled build

PC Hardware

1-NZXT Noctis 450 Mid Tower Gaming Case Black

1-MSI Z170A-Gaming M7 Motherboard (Comes with Black & Red kinzu steel series mouse)

1-MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G (already own this)

1-G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2666C15Q-16GRR 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 Red

1-Intel Core i5 6600K

1-Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum 1000W Power Supply

1-Corsair Gaming K70 Black Cherry Red Mechanical Keyboard

Presentation stuff

1-NZXT Sleeved LED Cable 200cm Red

1-CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Basic Cable Kit Black/Red

3-CableMod SATA3 Cable Red

1-MSI Red Dragon GTX980Ti backplate from v1tech.com

(Possibly) Black carbon fibre vinyl sheets to cover armored (non mesh) parts of the case

(Possibly) the msi red dragon vinyl for the non window side of the PC

(both provided by https://www.facebook.com/viralvinyls)

Watercooling

1-EK Full Cover VGA Block EK-FC980 GTX Ti TF5 Acetal Nickel

1-EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Pump/Reservoir Combo

1-EK Supremacy EVO CPU Waterblock Red Edition

2-EK CoolStream XE 240 Double Radiator

16-EK HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 Elox Black

1-Bitspower Flow Indicator Matte Black (because pretty)

1-Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45 Degree 1/2 Fitting(for fill port)

4-EK Furious Vardar Fan F5 120mm 3000RPM Black

1-Mayhems Pastel Red 1000ml

Tubing/tools

1-Masterkleer Tubing PVC UV Reactive Orange 1/2ID 3/4OD 1m (For filling res)

6-EK HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 500mm

1-Alphacool SiliconTube Insert for 1/2in Tubing 30cm

1-XSPC PETG Easy Cut / Easy Bend Toolkit

1-Alphacool HardTube Heat Gun Pro 2000W

Hi All,

This is more of a placeholder since all the parts ordered are in the mail and on their way to me (so excited), they should be here in about 4 days or so at which point ill update :)

So everything here is in the mail on the way except where mentioned. Please feel free to add your 2c as this is my first custom water cooled build

PC Hardware

1-NZXT Noctis 450 Mid Tower Gaming Case Black

1-MSI Z170A-Gaming M7 Motherboard (Comes with Black & Red kinzu steel series mouse)

1-MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G (already own this)

1-G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-2666C15Q-16GRR 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 Red

1-Intel Core i5 6600K

1-Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum 1000W Power Supply

1-Corsair Gaming K70 Black Cherry Red Mechanical Keyboard

Presentation stuff

1-NZXT Sleeved LED Cable 200cm Red

1-CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Basic Cable Kit Black/Red

3-CableMod SATA3 Cable Red

1-MSI Red Dragon GTX980Ti backplate from v1tech.com

(Possibly) Black carbon fibre vinyl sheets to cover armored (non mesh) parts of the case

(Possibly) the msi red dragon vinyl for the non window side of the PC

(both provided by https://www.facebook.com/viralvinyls)

Watercooling

1-EK Full Cover VGA Block EK-FC980 GTX Ti TF5 Acetal Nickel

1-EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Pump/Reservoir Combo

1-EK Supremacy EVO CPU Waterblock Red Edition

2-EK CoolStream XE 240 Double Radiator

16-EK HDC Fitting 16mm G1/4 Elox Black

1-Bitspower Flow Indicator Matte Black (because pretty)

1-Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45 Degree 1/2 Fitting(for fill port)

4-EK Furious Vardar Fan F5 120mm 3000RPM Black

1-Mayhems Pastel Red 1000ml

Tubing/tools

1-Masterkleer Tubing PVC UV Reactive Orange 1/2ID 3/4OD 1m (For filling res)

6-EK HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 500mm

1-Alphacool SiliconTube Insert for 1/2in Tubing 30cm

1-XSPC PETG Easy Cut / Easy Bend Toolkit

1-Alphacool HardTube Heat Gun Pro 2000W

I would recommend you don't use pastel fluid because jayztwocents used it and it separated and gunked up his GPU blocks causing higher temperatures over time

Cheers for the encouragement guys :)

I usually plan stuff like this out in google sketchup while i'm waiting for parts in the mail, and im trying to do it with this to see where i can fit the reservoir (hopefully displayed) but i dont have any of the measurements for the case, the dimensions advertised arent enough, so im going to head past a pc shop locally that has a noctis 450 and measure it all. I'll post the design once its done. I dont go back to work till the 28th so plenty of free time.

I would recommend you don't use pastel fluid because jayztwocents used it and it separated and gunked up his GPU blocks causing higher temperatures over time

Yeah i saw that, i know theres a possibility of it happening over time. Mayhem claims it can last up to 3 years, though from what ive seen, anyone that seems like they know what their talking about usually recommends about 6 months between flushes, im a tinkerer so i dont mind the maintainence, even if it does gunk up and i need to flush parts out, as long as it doesnt permanently damage anything which i dont think it will. Ill probably use it for a bit then switch to dyed DW. Thanks for the heads up though :)

My Oculus Rift DK2 just arrived so ill give some insight into what thats like too :)

Plan to try it out on skyrim, fallout 4, and elite dangerous which is optimised for vr. exciting times

intrested to water cool my noctis too. where are you planning to put the res? there was another user doing this and he was putting it under the graphics card. also can you post the vinyl sticker results after you are done? i think its a great way to decorate the case as im too lazy to paint and not sure if vinyls would stick on the weird paint.

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

Subbed (because I love the color red, so why not?)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

So all the parts arrived today (friday) except for the case which will be here tuesday.
Going to set it all up tomorrow on cardboard, install the OS, run a bunch of tests to make sure that every things good to avoid having to take it all apart after the watercoolings all set up if somethings faulty.

Going to also create a short loop with the reservoir & pump, 2 radiators, CPU & GPU waterblocks. I'll flush a few litres of distilled water through it to make sure everythings clean. I'll do that when the case gets here though, right before i install it and fill it up with mayhems coolant, since i dont want to do it now and then leave it for a few days with no anti corrosion or bacterial additives + distilled water.

post-298620-0-61822700-1452265158.jpg

post-298620-0-50770200-1452265219_thumb.

intrested to water cool my noctis too. where are you planning to put the res? there was another user doing this and he was putting it under the graphics card. also can you post the vinyl sticker results after you are done? i think its a great way to decorate the case as im too lazy to paint and not sure if vinyls would stick on the weird paint.

Im planning on putting it under the 980ti, i asked that guy in the other thread with the noctis (josh) for the measurement between the video card and psu shroud and im pretty sure it'll fit perfectly. Its almost good that the window tapers down at the bottom, because it'll let me semi hide the pump end of the res which is a lil ugly IMO:

3831109843130-thumb.jpg

Also i dont know if im going to go with the carbon fibre vinyl. Definitely the MSI dragon though. Pretty much this, but just the dragon no background obviously:

post-298620-0-13254400-1452265689_thumb.

Ok so built everything on cardboard with intel stock cooler, installed the OS and tested everything out. Packed it back up and now waiting on the case which should be here tomorrow or day after.

Just realised now the the radiators i bought are 60mm. Not sure if the top one will fit, i assume it would on any other board, but the z170 gaming m7 has a heat sink and an exagerated I/O cover that is pretty thick and goes all the way to the top of the board as you can see in the pic below. thankfully the 2 fans can be mounted above the case under the top lid. Just going to wing it and if it doesn fit ill send it back. Might push the build a few days back but oh well.

And yes, my monitor is a 42" plasma TV lol

post-298620-0-45148700-1452434425_thumb.

post-298620-0-15849200-1452434513_thumb.

Im planning on putting it under the 980ti, i asked that guy in the other thread with the noctis (josh) for the measurement between the video card and psu shroud and im pretty sure it'll fit perfectly. Its almost good that the window tapers down at the bottom, because it'll let me semi hide the pump end of the res which is a lil ugly IMO:

3831109843130-thumb.jpg

Also i dont know if im going to go with the carbon fibre vinyl. Definitely the MSI dragon though. Pretty much this, but just the dragon no background obviously:

hmm, im not sure about placing it under the graphics cards since a horizontal res is not recommended. another guy who was on the other thread mounted it to the drive cages. also i really like that decal!

hmm, im not sure about placing it under the graphics cards since a horizontal res is not recommended. another guy who was on the other thread mounted it to the drive cages. also i really like that decal!

Sorry still a noob, why isnt a horizontal res recommended? other than it being a pain to fill/drain (id have to tilt the case significantly, which i dont mind).

If i dont do it horizontal, then it gets hidden behind an immovable drive bay cover :( not really a custom loop friendly case

Also, UPDATE :) Case and 980ti backplate is here.

Had to send one of the rads back since theyre 60mm thick and it didnt fit above the motherboard. Going with a 40mm thick one which will fit well.

Plan is to go pump -> rad -> cpu -> rad -> gpu -> res.

post-298620-0-00931500-1452613845_thumb.

post-298620-0-20301500-1452613913_thumb.

Also, UPDATE :) Case and 980ti backplate is here.

Had to send one of the rads back since theyre 60mm thick and it didnt fit above the motherboard. Going with a 40mm thick one which will fit well.

Plan is to go pump -> rad -> cpu -> rad -> gpu -> res.

OMG Where did you get dat waterblock? I wanna see it installed on the GPU RIGHT NOW (if it's ok with you)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

OMG Where did you get dat waterblock? I wanna see it installed on the GPU RIGHT NOW (if it's ok with you)

He got the backplate from V1 tech and the waterblock is a EKWB waterblock, I assume from either EKWB them selves or Performance PCS.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

He got the backplate from V1 tech and the waterblock is a EKWB waterblock, I assume from either EKWB them selves or Performance PCS.

Everything except the backplate was from pccasegear.com (im in australia and they have pretty much everything) and correct the backplate is from v1tech, they make them for most cards.

Sorry cant install it now, the gpu is in my current PC, dont have a spare at the moment, so will need to pull it out just before installation

Sorry cant install it now, the gpu is in my current PC, dont have a spare at the moment, so will need to pull it out just before installation

K. That's cool.

I was talking about the red dragon shiny part. Is that a backplate?

Everything except the backplate was from pccasegear.com (im in australia and they have pretty much everything) and correct the backplate is from v1tech, they make them for most cards.

I apologize for that, I didn't realize you were in Australia, Yeah V1 Tech makes good backplates, i got one for my daughters build a while back, same design as yours just with the MSI dragon logo but nothing else on it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

K. That's cool.

I was talking about the red dragon shiny part. Is that a backplate?

Yeah its just a backplate. can be used on cards with the stock air cooler too, pretty sure the black and red strip[es match up with the ones on the stock cooler pattern for the msi 980 ti gaming 6g

I apologize for that, I didn't realize you were in Australia, Yeah V1 Tech makes good backplates, i got one for my daughters build a while back, same design as yours just with the MSI dragon logo but nothing else on it.

All good :) Yeah they have a full blown design chooser thingy on the site, so you can choose the base and secondary colours and the design on it.

Yeah its just a backplate. can be used on cards with the stock air cooler too, pretty sure the black and red strip[es match up with the ones on the stock cooler pattern for the msi 980 ti gaming 6g

Well, it's absolutely beautiful. Too bad I don't have the money for a rig right now; I would probably do something like that.

Sorry still a noob, why isnt a horizontal res recommended? other than it being a pain to fill/drain (id have to tilt the case significantly, which i dont mind).

If i dont do it horizontal, then it gets hidden behind an immovable drive bay cover :( not really a custom loop friendly case

i think it creates vortexes but i don't think it matters that much.

i think it creates vortexes but i don't think it matters that much.

The res comes with something to prevent vortexes, ive seen a few people use the same res/pump horizontally so i should be fine i hope, if not ill get the other one