$500 pfSense / Home Server / Media Center?

I'm in serious need of a project. I used to love tinkering with servers, but I've been doing software since I got out of college. As such, I'm looking to build an "all in one" home server. My current plans are to use XenServer to virtualize pfSense and Ubuntu. The reason for pfSense is pretty obvious, and I will be using Ubuntu for Samba, Plex, and other general server related tasks (project hosting, SSH tunneling, etc.) I do not need Plex to transcode, as I will more than likely just hook it straight into my TV, but I wouldn't mind having the overhead to do so just in case.

As for storage, I will be starting out small. I will be using a SSD for the OS, but I will be adding some NAS rated drives as I need space. The SSD needs to be included in the budget, but the HDDs do not. I already have a case, so it does not have to be included in the budget. I don't need any peripherals either. I have an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU left over from a build almost ten years ago. It looks like a pretty solid piece, so could it be used in this build or will I need to buy new?

The case I have will fit a full-sized ATX motherboard, but I will be buying a new case eventually. I'm hoping to get something in a smaller form factor, but it's not really a necessity.I'm not set on whether or not I want to overclock. I do, but after you get a K-series CPU and an aftermarket cooler, it's probably going to eat up $80-100 of the budget. If I will see significant improvements, I will do it, though.

While picking the motherboard and other components is something I can do myself, I'm open to suggestions. The biggest problem I am going to have is deciding on a CPU. I'm not really sure what kind of processing power I need for this box. I am completely open to suggestions for any and all components, though.

Thanks,

Michael