WifiChannels

cakez

I'm using the "CGN3ROG"router/modem combo from rogers,when I try to change wireless channels why do I only have 1-11,why can't I access the 12-14?

If you are in the US, federal laws prevent you using channels 12 and 13.

Channel 14 is reserved for Japan.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

I can't say for sure, but my guess is that's all the 2.4GHz antenna on the router is capable of broadcasting. I have an Apple Airport extreme which can only go up to channel 11 as well.

What Beau said. On top of that only Channels 1, 6 ,and 11 dont overlap. So those are the channels you want to use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Oh really? Do you know why that is?

This.

Oh really? Do you know why that is?

Because the FCC says so.

Im Canada

Im Canada

only way you could use 12-14 is if you get a router compatible with 3rd party firmware

and really thats the better option anyway...dedicated router..and put the modem in bridge mode

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

only way you could use 12-14 is if you get a router compatible with 3rd party firmware

and if you are willing to break the law.

In Canada, channel 12 is allowed but has a lower transmit power limit. Most manufacturers don't implement a special power limit for channel 12 so they just lock it. Using the full power on channel 12 will cause you to interfere with other things, and that's a very big no-no. According to some Google results Bell, among others, own part of the spectrum you will interfere with if you use channel 12.

13 and 14 are strictly forbidden in Canada.

The reason why different countries got different amounts of channels is because not all countries has the exact same spectrum allocation. For example Japan does not have a phone carrier operating in the range where WiFi channel 13 would be, so over there they decided to allocate that for WiFi. In Canada you do however, so it would cause issues.

and if you are willing to break the law.

In Canada, channel 12 is allowed but has a lower transmit power limit. Most manufacturers don't implement a special power limit for channel 12 so they just lock it. Using the full power on channel 12 will cause you to interfere with other things, and that's a very big no-no. According to some Google results Bell, among others, own part of the spectrum you will interfere with if you use channel 12.

13 and 14 are strictly forbidden in Canada.

The reason why different countries got different amounts of channels is because not all countries has the exact same spectrum allocation. For example Japan does not have a phone carrier operating in the range where WiFi channel 13 would be, so over there they decided to allocate that for WiFi. In Canada you do however, so it would cause issues.

no one gives a crap about that..I always use higher channels on my routers and my clients routers on 3rd party firmware cause they are clear

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

no one gives a crap about that..I always use higher channels on my routers and my clients routers on 3rd party firmware cause they are clear

This is a large liability, especially since you're admitting to doing it professionally. All it takes is the right person complaining of interference with whatever they're doing that belongs in that band, and you could be in for a world of hurt. There were several very large fines handed out to people who kept using old 700 MHz equipment after the spectrum was sold for instance.

FCC fine a Florida man $30,000 for using a cell phone jammer. So yeah, I dont think it would be wise to break the law.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.