windows 8 help

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Hey guys! my cousin sis got a new laptop in her college. it's the LENOVO E49 WINDOWS 8  laptop. so... my sis and me both are new to windows 8 and are need of extreme help! when it's logined an when we go to the desktop,the icons don't appear but only two apper,recycle bin and mcaffe security..... and where is my computer?

Windows 8 has a steep learning curve. You have to be patient. Those that surpass it, prefer WIn8 over previous version of Windows. It will just take a bit of time.

Since Windows XP, "My Computer" and so on, is no longer on the desktop by default. You can add them (right-click desktop > Personalize > Change desktop icons) if you want, but the idea was to keep the desktop clean, and not have to minimize all your stuff to access them.

To access your folders, since Windows 7, you can do from the Start Menu (which isn't there in Windows 8), or by click on the folder icon pinned on the task bar.

computer_folder.png

When you do, you can navigate normally, or via the navigation pane on your left. And interesting feature of the navigation pane, is Favorites. To add items there, simply drag the folders you want in there. This will give you the ability to get some quick access to your most used locations.

In Windows 8, the Start Screen is fully customizable. You can pin desktop programs, make groups, and pin folders. To pin them, just right-click on a item > Pin to Start.

Here is my Start Screen. Notice how I have my folders that go at most often all easy to access.

dss.png

If you want to search for a program, you can just type, just like that, on the start Screen, and it will search.

To view a list of all installed programs, you can do Ctrl+Tab on the Start Screen, or right-click on the Start Screen, on empty space, and select "All apps".

If you wonder how to access the Start Screen. The Start Button is at the bottom left corner of the screen, hidden. Roll over your mouse there, and you'll see it appear.

Fun facts:

- Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Security Essential, renamed as Windows Defender. So you don't need an Anti-virus, unless you want something else.

- Check out Bento Moden UI app that you can download for free from the Windows Store, it's a great news reader.

- You can install Microsoft Essentials in Windows 8, much in Windows 7, for free: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-live/essentials. I install it for Photo Gallery only, as it's a good picture viewer

- If you want to have your desktop program open all your files, and not have Modern UI apps do that. Simple search on the Start Screen (type), Default Program. In it, you can click on Set your default programs, and you can click on the program you want, and click on Set this program as default button.

- To get quick access to some mostly use Control Panel elements, simply do Win+X on your keyboard, or right-click on the Start Button when you move your mouse to show it.

- To quickly shutdown the system you can do Win+I anywhere, and you'll see the power button. Alternatively, you can do Alt+F4 on the desktop, or you do Win+C (or move your mouse at the bottom or top of the screen, and slide it toward the center) > Settings > Power.

- Windows 8 include the ability to virtually load on a ISO. Just double click on one, and it will loaded. Check out Computer folder. You'll notice a virtual drive, with your ISO loaded.

- Windows 8 (and Vista and 7) allows you to burn CD and DVDs from Windows. No need of extra software. It also support the ability to treat a rewritable disk as a USB flash drive, where you can add and remove files, anytime you want.

- For those in region where XBox Music is available, you can have unlimited free music streaming out of 30 million song library growing each week. You have ads, but you can remove the ads, and the ability to get unlimited music download (playable only on Microsoft devices) for 10$ per month, or 100$ per year (Canadian and US prices, it's different for every region. In the U.K I think it's 8 pounds per month if I am not mistaken). All music are in high quality.

The music library is the second largest one. iTunes being the largest. You can also use the Zune desktop app.

Check out Smart DJ too. Using an artists info, it will find similar music, by looking at the bio of every artists, and find those who got influenced by, worked with, and so on, and build an 'endless' playlist.

- To close a Modern UI app. Do Alt+F4, or mouse the mouse at the top center of the screen, and drag it all the way down. You can also snap them to the left and right of the screen in similar fashion, just move left or right, and not down.

I hope this helps you to get started a bit.

Hey guys! my cousin sis got a new laptop in her college. it's the LENOVO E49 WINDOWS 8  laptop. so... my sis and me both are new to windows 8 and are need of extreme help! when it's logined an when we go to the desktop,the icons don't appear but only two apper,recycle bin and mcaffe security..... and where is my computer? i had gave her a thumb drive with loads of movies that she wanted but after inserting it in a usb 3.0 port a notification came saying the drive's installed blah blah blah. but from where to open it? even the icons on the ...(i don't know what to say it so i'm putting it like this> the icons that come after the windows logo in windows 7 or better to say the start bar.(the library etc won't appear but something like a paper folded from the top right to form a triangle) i don't understand anything. please help me! if you can give the detailed information/link for the information it would be really really really appreciated. 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Do you have it connected to a TV? That might be the problem.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Either create a new shortcut to 'Computer' yourself, or just go to the Tile interface and search for computer.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Do you have it connected to a TV? That might be the problem.

nope!!!!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Google is your friend

idk what to search there! :(  i tried but i didn't get the answer

COMING SOON

you use windows button + e as a shortcut for it

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

thank you.but i know that

COMING SOON

idk what to search there! :(  i tried but i didn't get the answer

Well good thing you want to create your own programming language when you don't even know how to use google.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Hey guys! my cousin sis got a new laptop in her college. it's the LENOVO E49 WINDOWS 8  laptop. so... my sis and me both are new to windows 8 and are need of extreme help! when it's logined an when we go to the desktop,the icons don't appear but only two apper,recycle bin and mcaffe security..... and where is my computer?

Windows 8 has a steep learning curve. You have to be patient. Those that surpass it, prefer WIn8 over previous version of Windows. It will just take a bit of time.

Since Windows XP, "My Computer" and so on, is no longer on the desktop by default. You can add them (right-click desktop > Personalize > Change desktop icons) if you want, but the idea was to keep the desktop clean, and not have to minimize all your stuff to access them.

To access your folders, since Windows 7, you can do from the Start Menu (which isn't there in Windows 8), or by click on the folder icon pinned on the task bar.

computer_folder.png

When you do, you can navigate normally, or via the navigation pane on your left. And interesting feature of the navigation pane, is Favorites. To add items there, simply drag the folders you want in there. This will give you the ability to get some quick access to your most used locations.

In Windows 8, the Start Screen is fully customizable. You can pin desktop programs, make groups, and pin folders. To pin them, just right-click on a item > Pin to Start.

Here is my Start Screen. Notice how I have my folders that go at most often all easy to access.

dss.png

If you want to search for a program, you can just type, just like that, on the start Screen, and it will search.

To view a list of all installed programs, you can do Ctrl+Tab on the Start Screen, or right-click on the Start Screen, on empty space, and select "All apps".

If you wonder how to access the Start Screen. The Start Button is at the bottom left corner of the screen, hidden. Roll over your mouse there, and you'll see it appear.

Fun facts:

- Windows 8 comes with Microsoft Security Essential, renamed as Windows Defender. So you don't need an Anti-virus, unless you want something else.

- Check out Bento Moden UI app that you can download for free from the Windows Store, it's a great news reader.

- You can install Microsoft Essentials in Windows 8, much in Windows 7, for free: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-live/essentials. I install it for Photo Gallery only, as it's a good picture viewer

- If you want to have your desktop program open all your files, and not have Modern UI apps do that. Simple search on the Start Screen (type), Default Program. In it, you can click on Set your default programs, and you can click on the program you want, and click on Set this program as default button.

- To get quick access to some mostly use Control Panel elements, simply do Win+X on your keyboard, or right-click on the Start Button when you move your mouse to show it.

- To quickly shutdown the system you can do Win+I anywhere, and you'll see the power button. Alternatively, you can do Alt+F4 on the desktop, or you do Win+C (or move your mouse at the bottom or top of the screen, and slide it toward the center) > Settings > Power.

- Windows 8 include the ability to virtually load on a ISO. Just double click on one, and it will loaded. Check out Computer folder. You'll notice a virtual drive, with your ISO loaded.

- Windows 8 (and Vista and 7) allows you to burn CD and DVDs from Windows. No need of extra software. It also support the ability to treat a rewritable disk as a USB flash drive, where you can add and remove files, anytime you want.

- For those in region where XBox Music is available, you can have unlimited free music streaming out of 30 million song library growing each week. You have ads, but you can remove the ads, and the ability to get unlimited music download (playable only on Microsoft devices) for 10$ per month, or 100$ per year (Canadian and US prices, it's different for every region. In the U.K I think it's 8 pounds per month if I am not mistaken). All music are in high quality.

The music library is the second largest one. iTunes being the largest. You can also use the Zune desktop app.

Check out Smart DJ too. Using an artists info, it will find similar music, by looking at the bio of every artists, and find those who got influenced by, worked with, and so on, and build an 'endless' playlist.

- To close a Modern UI app. Do Alt+F4, or mouse the mouse at the top center of the screen, and drag it all the way down. You can also snap them to the left and right of the screen in similar fashion, just move left or right, and not down.

computer_folder.png

dss.png

Fun facts:

it very much helped all of us i guess!thankyou very much! 

COMING SOON

computer_folder.png

dss.png

Fun facts:

it helped us all i guess! thank you for helping!

COMING SOON